Texas high school's 60 million dollar stadium

unconventional
Guessing it's already been posted but I'm just now seeing it. 60 million dollars? That's crazy. People are lining up for tickets to the first game.

medium.jpg

allenhighschool2.jpg

allen-football.jpg

1.800w_600h.jpg

Football is king.

Reactions: 1 person
Wasn't sure but I found this from a couple sites.

Voters approved a $119 million bond initiative to construct the stadium, along with funds for a transportation, maintenance, and nutrition center, and an auditorium for performing arts.

While students and their parents seem to be thrilled with it, some Texans are less impressed. Yes, the stadium was funded with a $119 million bond package approved by voters in May 2009 — passing with 63.66 percent of the vote, no less. (The bond issue also includes $36.5 million for a transportation, maintenance and nutrition center and a $23.3 million auditorium for the district’s performing arts programs.)

High school football has always been huge in Texas.

Yeah. As big as it is though, 60 million dollars is jaw dropping imo. It holds 18,000 and it sounds like it's going to sell out.

I wouldn't doubt it. I lived south of Dallas for four years and Friday night was the big night for everyone.

:lolabove:

F Vandy. I read their forum sometimes and their fans are stupid. In their prediction thread a fair amount predicted 9 and 10 wins just during the regular season. Vandy going 10-2.... lol

I'm sure there's plenty of oil well & cattle boosters.

One of the things I read said the average household income there was 95,000. If the average family is making about a 100g's, there are definitely some rich families around there.

I would say nicer than practically all DII and DIII schools, and the majority of DI-AA. Just think of how that money could have actually been spent on educating instead.

I would say nicer than practically all DII and DIII schools, and the majority of DI-AA. Just think of how that money could have actually been spent on educating instead.

Possibly a return on investment here. Throwing money at education doesn't automatically make kids smarter.

Reactions: 2 people
Possibly a return on investment here. Throwing money at education doesn't automatically make kids smarter.

Possible, but I think we've all seen how high school football in the South can take precedence over education. My old high school recently renovated the stadium, including a jumbotron and $15,000 bronze statue by the field house. Would have been fine if the students weren't sharing science books because they couldn't afford enough for each kid.

Possible, but I think we've all seen how high school football in the South can take precedence over education. My old high school recently renovated the stadium, including a jumbotron and $15,000 bronze statue by the field house. Would have been fine if the students weren't sharing science books because they couldn't afford enough for each kid.

A lot of this money is private funded I'm sure. How many states have an "education" lottery? Hasn't helped education much at all. They throw money here & there & much of it is like food stamps & welfare, wasted or given to folks who abuse it.

Someone quoted earlier that is was funded via bond initiative. I hope the school has everything it needs to supply a good education and that the stadium is just bonus.

I agree with you on throwing money at education though. The best teachers in the world won't matter if the students (and parents) don't value education. This just reminds me of my hometown where learning seems to take a backseat to football.

Someone quoted earlier that is was funded via bond initiative. I hope the school has everything it needs to supply a good education and that the stadium is just bonus.

I agree with you on throwing money at education though. The best teachers in the world won't matter if the students (and parents) don't value education. This just reminds me of my hometown where learning seems to take a backseat to football.

They do.

VN Store

Back