The “Ginger Gump” Gets It

I haven't watched that, but the little quote certainly sounds right. I think it's very true for most any team. And QB's would have a hot night once in a while. There's an element of luck to those deep balls because there's just so much calculating going on in your brain to throw that. If you had to write out all the partial differential equations solved by a quarterback for a single throw, it would take 2 days.

You all observed I know that Milroe had the same issue with Alabama. If he had connected on 2 deep balls that he overthrew, Bama wins.

To some degree that is football until you get a quarterback that's a generational super-talent. The whole NCAA in fact seems to be devoid of really good quarterback play right now. I'm probably forgetting somebody. Internet says its Jayden Daniels and I haven't watched one minute of him all year. I guess Saturday I am going to break the seal on that.

Reactions: adam.vol
I haven't watched that, but the little quote certainly sounds right. I think it's very true for most any team. And QB's would have a hot night once in a while. There's an element of luck to those deep balls because there's just so much calculating going on in your brain to throw that. If you had to write out all the partial differential equations solved by a quarterback for a single throw, it would take 2 days.

You all observed I know that Milroe had the same issue with Alabama. If he had connected on 2 deep balls that he overthrew, Bama wins.

To some degree that is football until you get a quarterback that's a generational super-talent. The whole NCAA in fact seems to be devoid of really good quarterback play right now. I'm probably forgetting somebody. Internet says its Jayden Daniels and I haven't watched one minute of him all year. I guess Saturday I am going to break the seal on that.
Jayden Daniels plays for the Washington Commanders, my friend.

McElroy was starting to get pretty biased near the end of the game. Can’t really blame him, he shouldn’t be allowed to call big rivalry Bama games. All of the sudden every referee call he disagreed with, defended Deboer for flipping out because they weren’t given time to substitute when we didn’t even substitute in the 1st place, etc.

Not to mention he bashed Tony V right after we won the national championship. I used to have more respect for him than I do now

Shaduer Sanders and Cam Ward bring it week in and week out and are the clear best 2 Qbs in college to this point for me at least… but Nico ain’t as far off as people were making it seem… but I agree with you Qb play in college is up and down but that’s nothing new it’s a tough position and will always been mostly up and down from 90-95% of Qbs.

McElroy was starting to get pretty biased near the end of the game. Can’t really blame him, he shouldn’t be allowed to call big rivalry Bama games. All of the sudden every referee call he disagreed with, defended Deboer for flipping out because they weren’t given time to substitute when we didn’t even substitute in the 1st place, etc.

Not to mention he bashed Tony V right after we won the national championship. I used to have more respect for him than I do now
He is a TV guy....who cares what he says or thinks. We all know he went to Bama and will always be a Bama guy, just as you will always be a UT guy. To even give him the time it took to write that is too much time to pay attention to him.

I think the AL coaches and players underestimated how good our D is. Thought they would come in and be Bama and roll over us. McElroy probably expected that to and didn't know what to do in 4th qtr when it became clear they were going to lose. His Bama side came out.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I think the AL coaches and players underestimated how good our D is. Thought they would come in and be Bama and roll over us. McElroy probably expected that to and didn't know what to do in 4th qtr when it became clear they were going to lose. His Bama side came out.
Overcoming his bias must be difficult. In the video above he did a good job overcoming his bias to sincerely offer praise to an arch rival. Gets points…a few.

Shaduer Sanders and Cam Ward bring it week in and week out and are the clear best 2 Qbs in college to this point for me at least… but Nico ain’t as far off as people were making it seem… but I agree with you Qb play in college is up and down but that’s nothing new it’s a tough position and will always been mostly up and down from 90-95% of Qbs.
Dillon Gabriel has been good as well. Ewers was very consistent until they ran into a brick wall vs Georgia, but every team and qb has bad games.

Milroe, Beck, and Nico have underperformed relative to preseason expectations. Good news for us is those guys are veterans and likely are what they are at this point, while Nico is still young and looks to be improving.

A lot of people are going to believe the UT backend of Defense is suspect until proven consistently otherwise.

Heck half this board believes it can’t be consistently good and Martinez must go.

Roll VOLS…..GBO

McElroy is that kid in school you try to like because he’s on your little league team and is always sitting next you in class because your last names begin with the same letter but you just….can’t

Having attended the game, I watched the tv broadcast for the first time on Sunday. I felt sorry for McElroy. He was obviously torn between wanting to stay loyal and wanting to do his job well. I think he did a pretty good job calling the game, but you can’t hide emotion without practicing deceit on the regular.

Sanders and Ward are talented but I’d like to see them go against Georgia’s or our defense. That would tell me a lot more versus what they’ve faced so far.

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
Having attended the game, I watched the tv broadcast for the first time on Sunday. I felt sorry for McElroy. He was obviously torn between wanting to stay loyal and wanting to do his job well. I think he did a pretty good job calling the game, but you can’t hide emotion without practicing deceit on the regular.
I don’t think the network should have placed him in that position.

Reactions: adam.vol
I was unable to view. I’d be ecstatic with 225 yards per game and 0 turnovers.

EDIT: I was finally able to view and glad I came back to try. Really good assessment of Team2024. I’d still be happy with 225 especially if the O could connect on a couple 40+.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smokey19rt
Sanders and Ward are talented but I’d like to see them go against Georgia’s or our defense. That would tell me a lot more versus what they’ve faced so far.

Agree.

I feel confident that Nico has a much higher ceiling than those two. Much, much higher.

Everyone forgets that he has less than 10 starts. Plus, the last 4 games have been as much a baptism by fire as a young QB can get.

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
McElroy was starting to get pretty biased near the end of the game. [...] defended Deboer for flipping out because they weren’t given time to substitute when we didn’t even substitute in the 1st place, etc.
I'm open to being corrected, but I think he was reading the rule correctly. On change of possession, the first down is considered an offensive substitution, since the defense has no idea what personnel the offense is bringing onto the field until they see them. Just like with any other new personnel grouping, the defense is entitled to respond with their own choice of personnel.

I can't imagine what the refs were telling DeBoer that would have made logical sense, if that's the case. They were not a confidence-inspiring crew for either team.

I think Dart at Ole Miss looks like the best pro prospect

VN Store

Back