The Ball

WoodsmanVol

It takes wisdom to understand wisdom.
When did, and why did the football transform from brown or tan to black? I didn't notice this until Okie game.

Last edited:
The ball is dark brown, not black. You can actually see the reddish-brown color around the laces. Its definitely not light brown, but ot black either.Heup Gets the Game Ball.JPG

Reactions: LittleVol
The ball is dark brown, not black. You can actually see the reddish-brown color around the laces. Its definitely not light brown, but ot black either.View attachment 680364
From a distance, it looks black. From as far back as I can recall, Wilson, Spaulding, Rawlings, Adidas and other balls were clearly either brown or tan. I can't recall any dark brown or black balls. I guess Nike will come up with a blue or purple ball soon, they mess up everything else, including golf clubs.

Reactions: VOLfrombama
From a distance, it looks black. From as far back as I can recall, Wilson, Spaulding, Rawlings, Adidas and other balls were clearly either brown or tan. I can't recall any dark brown or black balls. I guess Nike will come up with a blue or purple ball soon, they mess up everything else, including golf clubs.
Blue balls imo

Fun Facts: UT started using TST "orange" colored balls in 2002. Casey Clausen fumbled it in the wet v UF 62 times in a row, to complete yet another inexplicable meltdown v the Gators. From the point we adopted that ball, our FB program decended into the dark ages of our proud history.

Reactions: Sarms58
When did, and why did the football transform from brown or tan to black? I didn't notice this until Okie game.
OP, I noticed this a couple/few years ago first, in an NFL game. Though I watch football, I didn’t really pay much attention to it. However, I very much noticed it again Saturday evening watching from T.V. I have the exact same question.

Fun Facts: UT started using TST "orange" colored balls in 2002. Casey Clausen fumbled it in the wet v UF 62 times in a row, to complete yet another inexplicable meltdown v the Gators. From the point we adopted that ball, our FB program decended into the dark ages of our proud history.
Oh my God. The fumble fest. I swear some gator fan had a voodoo doll of Clausen and they jabbed it every time we snapped the ball. I've never seen anything like that.

Reactions: Orangeburst

VN Store

Back