The Chaos Cohort

n_huffhines

What's it gonna cost?
Pretty interesting conversation with a research political psychologist.

5% of Americans want to burn down the power structure.

30% think burning it down may be best. FWIW, I probably would have surveyed in this group on this question, but I don't identify much with anything else they talked about.

This typically doesn't pertain to left/right ideology. It's more about opposing the power structure.

Trump doesn't get away with chaos so much because people like the other stuff he brings. He gets away with chaos because people like the chaos. Political opponents painting him as a chaos agent was a bad strategy.

The biggest driver is inequality.

Horseshoe theory:
Black males tend to buy into chaos because they feel their societal status has always been poor. (BLM)

White males tend to buy into chaos because they feel their societal status is slipping. (Alt right)

Solutions:
Dismissing them and their ideas makes them feel more socially rejected and promotes further radicalization. Facts don't seem to change their minds. They care about that they feel left out so we have to listen to them. They have to feel heard.

Reduce inequality.

Here is his paper, because people probably aren't gonna listen to the podcast.

Reactions: EasternVol
Pretty interesting conversation with a research political psychologist.

5% of Americans want to burn down the power structure.

30% think burning it down may be best. FWIW, I probably would have surveyed in this group on this question, but I don't identify much with anything else they talked about.

This typically doesn't pertain to left/right ideology. It's more about opposing the power structure.

Trump doesn't get away with chaos so much because people like the other stuff he brings. He gets away with chaos because people like the chaos. Political opponents painting him as a chaos agent was a bad strategy.

The biggest driver is inequality.

Horseshoe theory:
Black males tend to buy into chaos because they feel their societal status has always been poor. (BLM)

White males tend to buy into chaos because they feel their societal status is slipping. (Alt right)

Solutions:
Dismissing them and their ideas makes them feel more socially rejected and promotes further radicalization. Facts don't seem to change their minds. They care about that they feel left out so we have to listen to them. They have to feel heard.

Reduce inequality.

I'm going to be honest I don't have time in my day to devote to any of the links you posted for serious consideration. I work two jobs and run a small farm/rescue. I get on here in spurts as my work allows.

That being said I find this very interesting. I would say I likely fall into the burn it down category but for a mix of reasons. My government thinks of me as a second class citizen because of my past. I imagine I identify with some of the same issues that minorities face, but certainly not all.

I think in a nutshell they are likely saying marginalized people retreat into their circles of comfort and trust. Dismissing their views only serves to further alienate them, send them further into their smaller circles.

I'm just a person completely jaded by our two party system. I see no difference in action. Just a bunch of talk..... And I learned on the streets how much talk is worth.

VN Store

Back