The Dark Side Of Kentucky Basketball

Sorry, there might be some good information in that article, but the writing is so bad, I couldn't get past the second paragraph. Historical reality? :blink:

In response to media questions during the tourney, UK coach Adolph Rupp boasted “The gamblers couldn't touch my boys with a 10-foot pole.” The victory celebration didn't last long, however. Shortly after winning the title, the scandal overtook the Cats. Obviously some gambler had found an eleven-foot pole, as five Kentucky players, over three season, were implicated.

:lolabove:

An Assistant DA said that practically every game Kentucky played in the 1951 season involved gambling. Groza and Beard, stars of the 1948 U.S. Olympic basketball team and now professionals, were thrown out of the NBA. Spivey fought the charges, but never played another game in college, was banned from the NBA, and his dreams of a rich pro career ended.

:blink:

Yellow Journalism at its best.

In the last several years, UK administration has done an excellent job at emptying out the GOB establishment. I completely trust the integrity of the program at this point in time.

Rupp was not a racist. He has that label because of an SI article written many years after he died. Not having a black player in 1966 had everything to do with coaching in the SEC and nothing to do with racism by the head coach.

That said, UK athletics has a very criminal past. The basketball program was busted by the NCAA in the 1950s and 1980s, and the football program was busted in the 1970s and 2000s. I think it's fair at this point to presume that all of the first 5 NCAA basketball titles are not clean.

Rupp was not a racist. He has that label because of an SI article written many years after he died. Not having a black player in 1966 had everything to do with coaching in the SEC and nothing to do with racism by the head coach.

That said, UK athletics has a very criminal past. The basketball program was busted by the NCAA in the 1950s and 1980s, and the football program was busted in the 1970s and 2000s. I think it's fair at this point to presume that all of the first 5 NCAA basketball titles are not clean.

I've lived here all my life and have heard both sides about Rupp. I doubt we'll really ever know.

I've lived here all my life and have heard both sides about Rupp. I doubt we'll really ever know.

You're probably right.

Pat Riley has gone on record to say that he never heard a racist word come from Rupp's mouth.

Rupp was undoubtedly a product of his culture and time. Times have certainly changed for the better, and what was accepted way back then is absolutely, deservedly not acceptable now.

VN Store

Back