The Dugout - General Topics, Chat, Random Photos and Memes.......No Politics

Fun fact: Tony Vitello has 27 NCAAT victories in 6 full seasons as coach. Rod Delmonico had 27 NCAAT victories during his ENTIRE 18 years at Tennessee.

I have been absolutely pathetic today!

National championship hangover 1
Work production 0
T3rd
2 outs

Not taking anything from Tony V. What he has done and has sustained over the last 5 years is probably the single most impressive re-construction of a major college program, in ANY sport, that I have ever witnessed in my life. From where he started to where he is? From afterthought to the pre-eminent, everybody-wants-to-play-here culture he has established, what he has done is so impressively overwhelming that I really can't get my mind around it. But, when comparing stats, keep in mind that the basis for those stats change.

Examples: LSU single season HR record? Well, hot bats and no run rule. Give this team either of those advantages and we blow that record away. Single season wins? Well, teams going 70-something and 14 is impossible with todays 56 game regular season cap, so the 60 wins this season is as remarkable as it gets.

Similarly, TV has the "advantage" of getting regionals, supers and CWS for post season stats. For a good number of Delmonico's years, including some very good teams, there was no Super. Now, TV has taken advantage of a larger NCAA (diluted) field, and won a lot of those, and there is no telling if Delmonico would have (and, even if he had, what TV has done is crazy impressive) but TV has had the chance to put up 8-12 or so postseason wins that Delmonico never had. (Again, TVs greatness is in taking advantage of those opportunities at a very high rate.)

To me, the most impressive thing about this run is how consistently excellent we have been in a conference that has completely dominated this sport since TV's arrival. He and his teams have put up numbers that drop jaws against the best of the best of the best, year in and year out. Again, the greatness of the numbers plays out, and it is staggering and undeniable.

To look at our coach and our program and legitimately have an argument to say, "We are the absolute BEST program in the country right now!"? Y'all, I am not going to take that for granted. Our numbers match or surpass ANYONE's over the last 5 years.

Soak it in. History says it won't last. But I can hope it does.

As for work? Well, I think my day may have been rained out. It all started with a glass of Sangria with dinner right as CMO led off with a HR. It continued as I had to do my part as we poured on more steam. I did the hard work when the cup was empty as A&M started the comeback-that-wasn't, refilling the cup again, then again. I gave my all for Tennessee last night.

Like I said, rainout. But totally worth it.

Go Big National Champion wearing Orange!

EDIT: Thanks @vol66 for all you did this year to help make the board something special in a season we will all remember. It got a little salty in the game threads late, (but that wasn't your doing), so some of us had to retreat to the Dugout. Looking forward to doing it again soon enough. Life, Life is GOOD!

Not taking anything from Tony V. What he has done and has sustained over the last 5 years is probably the single most impressive re-construction of a major college program, in ANY sport, that I have ever witnessed in my life. From where he started to where he is? From afterthought to the pre-eminent, everybody-wants-to-play-here culture he has established, what he has done is so impressively overwhelming that I really can't get my mind around it. But, when comparing stats, keep in mind that the basis for those stats change.

Examples: LSU single season HR record? Well, hot bats and no run rule. Give this team either of those advantages and we blow that record away. Single season wins? Well, teams going 70-something and 14 is impossible with todays 56 game regular season cap, so the 60 wins this season is as remarkable as it gets.

Similarly, TV has the "advantage" of getting regionals, supers and CWS for post season stats. For a good number of Delmonico's years, including some very good teams, there was no Super. Now, TV has taken advantage of a larger NCAA (diluted) field, and won a lot of those, and there is no telling if Delmonico would have (and, even if he had, what TV has done is crazy impressive) but TV has had the chance to put up 8-12 or so postseason wins that Delmonico never had. (Again, TVs greatness is in taking advantage of those opportunities at a very high rate.)

To me, the most impressive thing about this run is how consistently excellent we have been in a conference that has completely dominated this sport since TV's arrival. He and his teams have put up numbers that drop jaws against the best of the best of the best, year in and year out. Again, the greatness of the numbers plays out, and it is staggering and undeniable.

To look at our coach and our program and legitimately have an argument to say, "We are the absolute BEST program in the country right now!"? Y'all, I am not going to take that for granted. Our numbers match or surpass ANYONE's over the last 5 years.

Soak it in. History says it won't last. But I can hope it does.

As for work? Well, I think my day may have been rained out. It all started with a glass of Sangria with dinner right as CMO led off with a HR. It continued as I had to do my part as we poured on more steam. I did the hard work when the cup was empty as A&M started the comeback-that-wasn't, refilling the cup again, then again. I gave my all for Tennessee last night.

Like I said, rainout. But totally worth it.

Go Big National Champion wearing Orange!

EDIT: Thanks @vol66 for all you did this year to help make the board something special in a season we will all remember. It got a little salty in the game threads late, (but that wasn't your doing), so some of us had to retreat to the Dugout. Looking forward to doing it again soon enough. Life, Life is GOOD!
Sorry .... TL;DNR.

The fact that we went out and won the SEC regular season, SECT, and the CWS all in one season is nothing short of spectacular. That really stretches your pitching and they managed it about as well as any coaching staff I have seen. Every other team had pitching depth issues whenever it got to tournament time except Tennessee. We never had a question of pitching depth and that was the difference at the end of the day.

The fact that we went out and won the SEC regular season, SECT, and the CWS all in one season is nothing short of spectacular. That really stretches your pitching and they managed it about as well as any coaching staff I have seen. Every other team had pitching depth issues whenever it got to tournament time except Tennessee. We never had a question of pitching depth and that was the difference at the end of the day.
ygEoo7-2674851213.gif

Good morning to all of you NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!

I expect a high amount of people jumped on the Vols bandwagon in the 9th inning on June 24, 2024.
I finally saw my Cubs end an historic drought because they finally won a World Series for the first time since 1908.
Summer 2024
38 years old I finally got to see my Baseball Vols achieve greatness for Rocky Top by winning a College Baseball Championship for the first time.

I was thinking about the pitching last night, and I’m sure @preacherman20 can correct me if wrong...
CTV and CFA refuse to ruin a kids arm by pitching them beyond reasonable limits, actually I’d go as far as saying that they are very short leashed with pitching limits and they train their pitchers more like long relievers and not long inning starters like some coaches do.
I feel like guys that have really excelled are set up to be MLB relief guys or closers and I have often wondered if that’s why Burns left?
Did the Tennessee coaches refuse to train his arm for long innings because they want to keep the kids’ arms healthy, long term? He wants to be an MLB starter and decided to go somewhere that the coaches will push his arm.
I’m not dogging our coaches, rather applauding them for looking out for their players.
I think in the long run a lot of these guys will appreciate this, later down the road, when they still have healthy arms and not tired, worn out arms, if it is in fact the case.
Maybe I’m just a conspiracy theorist and all of this is complete nonsense...probably!
Nonetheless, I’ve been thinking about it.

Any chance some in that bunch could come back? This is why we have to be patient next year.
If any of them come back it most likely is Stark or Ensley. I don't know if either one has another year actually.

Tony says be patient every year, should reload through portal and some young talent not even playing yet.

VN Store

Back