The Dugout - General Topics, Chat, Random Photos and Memes.......No Politics

I was thinking about the pitching last night, and I’m sure @preacherman20 can correct me if wrong...
CTV and CFA refuse to ruin a kids arm by pitching them beyond reasonable limits, actually I’d go as far as saying that they are very short leashed with pitching limits and they train their pitchers more like long relievers and not long inning starters like some coaches do.
I feel like guys that have really excelled are set up to be MLB relief guys or closers and I have often wondered if that’s why Burns left?
Did the Tennessee coaches refuse to train his arm for long innings because they want to keep the kids’ arms healthy, long term? He wants to be an MLB starter and decided to go somewhere that the coaches will push his arm.
I’m not dogging our coaches, rather applauding them for looking out for their players.
I think in the long run a lot of these guys will appreciate this, later down the road, when they still have healthy arms and not tired, worn out arms, if it is in fact the case.
Maybe I’m just a conspiracy theorist and all of this is complete nonsense...probably!
Nonetheless, I’ve been thinking about it.
noted-note.gif

I was thinking about the pitching last night, and I’m sure @preacherman20 can correct me if wrong...
CTV and CFA refuse to ruin a kids arm by pitching them beyond reasonable limits, actually I’d go as far as saying that they are very short leashed with pitching limits and they train their pitchers more like long relievers and not long inning starters like some coaches do.
I feel like guys that have really excelled are set up to be MLB relief guys or closers and I have often wondered if that’s why Burns left?
Did the Tennessee coaches refuse to train his arm for long innings because they want to keep the kids’ arms healthy, long term? He wants to be an MLB starter and decided to go somewhere that the coaches will push his arm.
I’m not dogging our coaches, rather applauding them for looking out for their players.
I think in the long run a lot of these guys will appreciate this, later down the road, when they still have healthy arms and not tired, worn out arms, if it is in fact the case.
Maybe I’m just a conspiracy theorist and all of this is complete nonsense...probably!
Nonetheless, I’ve been thinking about it.
Burns left because he was having a bad season starting, didn’t know how to adjust, and was upset about coming out of the pen. He was selfish instead of being a team player. If anything, the coaching staff lit a fire in him whenever they moved him to the pen. That’s what good coaches do. They do what is best for the TEAM, not one singular player.

That's why Tony is paid the big bucks to figure all that out.
If there's any coach on campus that I don't worry about when it comes to recruiting and the portal, it's Vitello. He's shown himself to be more than capable at building/replenishing. My only concern is will the guys on the roster next year stick around long enough for me to remember their names and numbers? Usually takes me a couple of seasons to commit something like a name to memory.

Hello to the National Championship. Here's video of the last call for the Championship.

That is incredible.

Wilkerson is a treasure. I didn't think anything could be better than his call, but watching his call is actually better. He was so into it!

If any of them come back it most likely is Stark or Ensley. I don't know if either one has another year actually.

Tony says be patient every year, should reload through portal and some young talent not even playing yet.
Seems like Tony was pitching for Dreiling to come back in one interview, but I'd never find it now. I don't think Stark has any more years left, does he? Don't know about Ensley.

If there's any coach on campus that I don't worry about when it comes to recruiting and the portal, it's Vitello. He's shown himself to be more than capable at building/replenishing. My only concern is will the guys on the roster next year stick around long enough for me to remember their names and numbers? Usually takes me a couple of seasons to commit something like a name to memory.
I've almost given up on name to memory since they come & go so fast these days.

Burns left because he was having a bad season starting, didn’t know how to adjust, and was upset about coming out of the pen. He was selfish instead of being a team player. If anything, the coaching staff lit a fire in him whenever they moved him to the pen. That’s what good coaches do. They do what is best for the TEAM, not one singular player.
Do you think Burns was the one that left because of what Tony eluded to a player getting mad because of a rumor of a player getting $250K NIL money? That was my take, but could be very wrong.

Last edited:
Do you think Burns was the one that left because of what Tony eluded to about a player getting $250K NIL money? That was my take, but could be very wrong.
No, I think Burns left because he felt degraded being sent to the pen. He thought he always deserved to start. Some kids know how to compartmentalize and others don’t. Burns is one that lets his feelings get in the way. He better grow up quick because the MLB is a completely different animal.

Reactions: knoxvol52
Do you think Burns was the one that left because of what Tony eluded to a player getting mad because of a rumor of a player getting $250K NIL money? That was my take, but could be very wrong.
Some have said there was a different player that decided to commit elsewhere. Can’t remember the player. But he was told another player was making that much and I believe Tony said that dollar amount wasn’t even close to being correct. So we lost out on a player over money whenever said player didn’t even know the real dollar amount and was fed misinformation.

VN Store

Back