The Dugout - General Topics, Chat, Random Photos and Memes.......No Politics

White Sox thoughts.
* Chicago is 27-76 and 34.5 games behind the Guardians and 29.5 out of wildcart spot.
* ChiSox have lost 9 in a row and 1-9 in last 10
* 3 wins in July (3-14)
* .262 win percentage puts them back on pace to tie or surpass the 2003 Tigers who had 119 losses. The Tigers had a losing % of .735 as Sox are sitting at .738.
* The modern MLB record is 120 loss by the expansion '62 Mets with 120 (.750)
* Chicago is mind numbing 10-42 on road (.192)
* Out of the 27 wins, it is odd to note that 20 of those wins are against teams currently over .500 (20-55) which gives them a win % of .364 over top half teams
* The schedule the next few weeks includes a mix of teams at or above .500 (at Rangers .485 | Mariners .515 | Royals .549 | at Twins .550 | at A's .398 | Cubs .476)
* If Sox do trade away Garrett and Luis Robert; will this make them an odds on favorite to not only surpass the Tigers but the Mets?
* Recent rumors have the Phillies and Dodges making a run and one or both Garrett and Robert
* Luis Robert Jr. is batting .232 with 11 HRs who strikes out (66) far more than he walks (19) He was a 2023 All star and Silver Slugger. His 23 RBIs says more about his team as much as it says about him. He did miss significant time (2 months) for hip flexor
You beat the Braves 2 out of 3 games so you will always have that feather in your cap. It’s a torn and battered feather that is burnt to a crisp, but a feather nonetheless.

So... you got me thinking of "before my time" are you or @chuckiepoo at all excited or interested in man going to the Moon again or is it "Meh, we already saw that..."?
Orbital payloads have become somewhat mundane and commonplace. Manned excursions to the moon 🌖 would still hold interest, to me anyway.

I can't imagine what it would be like to be a White Sox fan or player, knowing that they are years away from being a good team AND that there is no guarantee of that even happening.
It's tough.,

They tried to do the "Braves" thing by signing long term deals with their your players before they proved themselves. Then hired Biden-esque Tony LaRussa who ceded control of the team to the team.

The team was too young and inexperienced for that and though they were paid like professionals, they were not professionals and we heard nothing but stories about sleeping in the lockeroom and bull pen during games, not practicing, poor behavior, etc.

We all have repeated heard a coaching staff has to be tough on team early on and then grant them some leeway if they deserve it later. The White Sox staff did not do that. And after the wheels fell off they couldn't make these guys "pros"

They had what I consider to be a great plan in drafting and signing young talent. However, their plan ended there. I think hiring LaRussa was just hiring his name. He was NEVER the right person for the job and the fans said this when the hire was made. How is a 76 year old manager whose best days were in the 80s going to relate to a bunch of 20 year old primarily from outside the US. La Russa last managed veteran teams and if you look back in his career, had not really had to manage or develop an up-and-coming team since his first stint with the White Sox in the early 80s. The "hungry" 1980 La Russa was exactly what the Sox needed. Instead, they got the "overfed" 2021 La Russa.

Coincidentally, 34 year old La Russa went straight from managing the Knoxville Sox for half a season to being on the coaching staff in Chicago then back to manage AAA for a season before getting the big job. Jerry Reinsdorf always regretted two things- hiring Hawk Harrelson as GM and allowing Hawk to fire La Russa in 1986.

It's tough.,

They tried to do the "Braves" thing by signing long term deals with their your players before they proved themselves. Then hired Biden-esque Tony LaRussa who ceded control of the team to the team.

The team was too young and inexperienced for that and though they were paid like professionals, they were not professionals and we heard nothing but stories about sleeping in the lockeroom and bull pen during games, not practicing, poor behavior, etc.

We all have repeated heard a coaching staff has to be tough on team early on and then grant them some leeway if they deserve it later. The White Sox staff did not do that. And after the wheels fell off they couldn't make these guys "pros"

They had what I consider to be a great plan in drafting and signing young talent. However, their plan ended there. I think hiring LaRussa was just hiring his name. He was NEVER the right person for the job and the fans said this when the hire was made. How is a 76 year old manager whose best days were in the 80s going to relate to a bunch of 20 year old primarily from outside the US. La Russa last managed veteran teams and if you look back in his career, had not really had to manage or develop an up-and-coming team since his first stint with the White Sox in the early 80s. The "hungry" 1980 La Russa was exactly what the Sox needed. Instead, they got the "overfed" 2021 La Russa.

Coincidentally, 34 year old La Russa went straight from managing the Knoxville Sox for half a season to being on the coaching staff in Chicago then back to manage AAA for a season before getting the big job. Jerry Reinsdorf always regretted two things- hiring Hawk Harrelson as GM and allowing Hawk to fire La Russa in 1986.
Wow. Great history lesson. 😊 thx

VN Store

Back