The Dugout - General Topics, Chat, Random Photos and Memes.......No Politics

Did that answer my question as to just WTF is a boomer sooner?
I watched the video .... I must have missed it among all the trash talk.
It refers to the Oklahoma Land Rush of 1889.

Roughly 50,000 people lined up on the borders of modern Oklahoma to claim their “homestead” of up to 160 acres (free land, pre the Homestead Act of 1862. At high noon on April 22, 1889. They lined up on the border until a cannon was fired (Boom) to start the rush.

Only 2,000,000 acres were available and if all 50,000 people had successfully claimed their full 160 acres, then that would indicate a “need” for 8,000,000 acres, or four times what was available.

Arithmetic was not unknown in those days, so some stealthy times snuck into the Unassigned Region early and staked their claim on the best (mostly, watered) lands on time, but having arrived early, were called Sooners.

Boomers and Sooners.

Boomer Sooner. Oklahoma's battle cry. Just WTF is a boomer sooner?
I don’t know, but I once had an English bulldog, looked like UGA, but came from just outside Norman, Oklahoma.
I named him Boomer, but his official name on the registry was “Rocky Top’s Boomer Sooner”

Roughly 50,000 people lined up on the borders of modern Oklahoma to claim their “homestead” of up to 160 acres (free land, pre the Homestead Act of 1862. At high noon on April 22, 1889. They lined up on the border until a cannon was fired (Boom) to start the rush.

Only 2,000,000 acres were available and if all 50,000 people had successfully claimed their full 160 acres, then that would indicate a “need” for 8,000,000 acres, or four times what was available.

Arithmetic was not unknown in those days, so some stealthy times snuck into the Unassigned Region early and staked their claim on the best (mostly, watered) lands on time, but having arrived early, were called Sooners.

Boomers and Sooners.
Smart@$$

😜

Boomers and Sooners.
I wonder how much land the Indians were able to receive after all the commotion?
After all, they were there first. Did our gov ask them what they'd like to have first?
My thoughts on all of this have changed over time about us "white man" are good.
Native Americans were fighting to keep what was in their possession for thousands of years. But, it was only a matter of time for them to be pushed out to live somewhere else.

Last edited:
I wonder how much land the Indians were able to receive after all the commotion?
After all, they were there first. Did our gov ask them what they'd like to have first?
My thoughts on all of this have changed over time about us "white man" are good.
I’m sure they were given the option to peacefully evacuate the premises or be executed.

Native Americans were fighting to keep what was in their possession for thousands of years. But, it was only a matter of time for then to be pushed out to live somewhere else.
100,000 sq miles
that’s 64,000,000 acres, right?

Native Americans were fighting to keep what was in their possession for thousands of years. But, it was only a matter of time for them to be pushed out to live somewhere else.
Don’t worry, our government is doing their part to make Americans the minority in America.
That’s all I’ll say about that...
So who else thinks we stomp a hole in the Sooners on Saturday?

Don’t worry, our government is doing their part to make Americans the minority in America.
That’s all I’ll say about that...
So who else thinks we stomp a hole in the Sooners on Saturday?
I'm hoping we can get a big lead on them like last time we played in 2015. And I hope we can hold onto a lead for the win this time on the road. We were up 17-3 at one point the last time we were there. It's not gonna be easy bc the place will be loud.

I hope you’re right, because I’m a nervous wreck!
If by Chance Tennessee loses Saturday those individuals in FF will blame everything and everybody from here to the moon.

I say it's a 31 27 Tennessee victory. Rather see a blowout but if it's close a win, is a win.

If by Chance Tennessee loses Saturday those individuals in FF will blame everything and everybody from here to the moon.

I say it's a 31 27 Tennessee victory. Rather see a blowout but if it's close a win, is a win.
The Vols (last seen) was favored by 7.

VN Store

Back