The Dugout - General Topics, Chat, Random Photos and Memes.......No Politics

Last edited:
Sounds like it's his first trip down that road to me. :rolleyes:

It really (kind of) is. I look at sports as entertainment and as a nerd I'd like to think I can watch any game with a neutral mindset even though I may or may not be a fan of one or both teams I am watching.

It's undeniable that Volnation has a better team this year than they have had in the past several teams, which is really saying something. I think UT is poised to be a powerhouse for a few years.

Note, I think the days of 7-8 years of total dominance are behind us and that's because of the portal and the ability of players to change teams without. I think that's both a coach's nightmare and dream because they can improve their team quickly, but they also have to try to keep the players from transferring.

I also truly believe players should stick around for 4 years because if they skip their senior year to go pro, they go from local celebrity and hero to just some guy on a pro team. Not that Hendon Hooker or Drew Gilbert left early, but look how celebrated they once were compared to their day to experience for the past year, which is... just two more young guys on teams and they don't get to play at the highest level.

I'd love to see Hooker get a few snaps every game and be a sort of secret weapon who does some extra work every week that would bring Detroit a different look where there is no video for a defensive coordinator to view or for ther to even detect a trend.

IDK, that's what I'd do with a talent like Hendon Hooker to get him ready to lead a team while helping his current team immensely.

It really (kind of) is. I look at sports as entertainment and as a nerd I'd like to think I can watch any game with a neutral mindset even though I may or may not be a fan of one or both teams I am watching.

It's undeniable that Volnation has a better team this year than they have had in the past several teams, which is really saying something. I think UT is poised to be a powerhouse for a few years.

Note, I think the days of 7-8 years of total dominance are behind us and that's because of the portal and the ability of players to change teams without. I think that's both a coach's nightmare and dream because they can improve their team quickly, but they also have to try to keep the players from transferring.

I also truly believe players should stick around for 4 years because if they skip their senior year to go pro, they go from local celebrity and hero to just some guy on a pro team. Not that Hendon Hooker or Drew Gilbert left early, but look how celebrated they once were compared to their day to experience for the past year, which is... just two more young guys on teams and they don't get to play at the highest level.

I'd love to see Hooker get a few snaps every game and be a sort of secret weapon who does some extra work every week that would bring Detroit a different look where there is no video for a defensive coordinator to view or for ther to even detect a trend.

IDK, that's what I'd do with a talent like Hendon Hooker to get him ready to lead a team while helping his current team immensely.
If Titans had taken Hooker when available he'd be the one starting. Titans are plain dumb.
How TF anybody thinking Will Levis is a better QB than Hooker needs a psychiatrist help.

😂 😂 😂 😂 Georgia only fell 3 spots to #5. They didn't show up until the 4th Qtr.
I see Utah, who was ranked higher than the Vols starting out, has fallen to 18th.
Of course this is the Coaches Poll and I don't know if that means very much though.

I like your posts and think you get a lot of thoughtful and introspective entertainment very similar to how I view sports. The post you just made fits that narrative.

I think you're a more passionate fan in general than I am because I somewhat try to be dispassionate when the team I like isn't doing well. For example, a couple of weeks ago, the Braves didn't look very good and that their hopes for the season were fading fast. My reaction was and is that I still want to attend as many games as I possibly can because as soon as the season ends, I start missing baseball AND the fact that I easily can attend any Braves game for little to no cost and absolute LOVE, love going to a game with my friends or dad. So much so that I made sure to have tickets all lined up for Braves hosting KC.

Jokes on me because I've not been able to see one Braves/KC game at Truist Park yet because of storm.

Finally... I already went for a run this morning and looked into going today's Braves game and it's a big Nope even though my roommate has a Ford 150 AND that quite a few kids and locals will be and are relying me and my friends for electricity, food, general creature comforts and that makes me feel good to just be able to let them visit. The look of relief on their face or the sigh of relief they have when they get here is a really nice thing for me experience.

If Titans had taken Hooker when available he'd be the one starting. Titans are plain dumb.
How TF anybody thinking Will Levis is a better QB than Hooker needs a psychiatrist help.

I was really, really strongly hoping that he would end up a Titan. I think the Titans would be doing better and that the fan base and money the Titans would take in from him playing there would be signicant.

Also, I really hope you can reply or long post about the following:

How in the heck to Tennessee fans afford to go to so many games, particularly away games. Plus you guys travel really well, which is crazy expensive on top of the very high ticket prices for post season baseball, football etc.

Said another way, Tenn is very good at sooo many sports and to support those, the cost is really large.

I see Utah, who was ranked higher than the Vols starting out, has fallen to 18th.
Of course this is the Coaches Poll and I don't know if that means very much though.
Utah lost at home to an unranked Arizona team 22-10. That's the difference. Roughly the same score by which Arizona beat directional Northern Arizona.

As for Georgia, I wouldn't mind seeing them ranked lower as the highest one-loss team. (Prolly what they would do to us.) But 5th is not completely wrong, either.

In a couple weeks, we should see two top-5 SEC matchups on the same day: Vols vs Bama and Texas vs GA.

I was really, really strongly hoping that he would end up a Titan. I think the Titans would be doing better and that the fan base and money the Titans would take in from him playing there would be signicant.

Also, I really hope you can reply or long post about the following:

How in the heck to Tennessee fans afford to go to so many games, particularly away games. Plus you guys travel really well, which is crazy expensive on top of the very high ticket prices for post season baseball, football etc.

Said another way, Tenn is very good at sooo many sports and to support those, the cost is really large.
:rolleyes: The farthest I've gone to see a Vols live game since the 80s is my living room.
I rarely give out a long post on anything. I like trying to be short & quick to the point.

None of the polls mean anything except the CFP play, which starts later in the year.

Utah lost at home to an unranked Arizona team 22-10. That's the difference. Roughly the same score by which Arizona beat directional Northern Arizona.

As for Georgia, I wouldn't mind seeing them ranked lower as the highest one-loss team. (Prolly what they would do to us.) But 5th is not completely wrong, either.

In a couple weeks, we should see two top-5 SEC matchups on the same day: Vols vs Bama and Texas vs GA.
I like to apply sarcasm to my post whenever I can. That's just me. I like to joke around.

Last edited:
How in the heck do Tennessee fans afford to go to so many games, particularly away games. Plus you guys travel really well, which is crazy expensive on top of the very high ticket prices for post season baseball, football etc.
Tennessee has prolly the best fan base in all of sports. Love our Vols.

As far as away games, a lot of Vols fans living outside Tennessee go to away games. It's a great experience tailgating, seeing other teams' stadiums, and winning on the road is really fun. Such a trip may cost less than a trip to Knoxville (when you consider cheaper tickets and rooms), especially if one has to fly either place.

You should go some time.

The ticket prices are becoming a problem. The amenities and growing percentage of corporate ticketholders is starting to resemble pro sports. A lot of people dislike that, but the market is gonna market. That full, wild stadium crowd is a definite advantage. Don't want to sacrifice that edge.

That is worst possible matchup for a Monday Night game. Captain Mayo and a 3rd string QB. I’m leaning towards the 3rd string QB 🤣
Yeah, that’s going to be a stinker of a game!
What’s bad is I still wouldn’t want Levis quarterbacking the Dolphins and we don’t even have a quarterback.

Last edited:
Yeah, that’s going to be a stinker of a game!
What’s bad, is I still wouldn’t want Levis quarterbacking the Dolphins and we don’t even have a quarterback.
What you need is Levis playing for the other team bc then he'd be on your side to help win games for you. 😀 He's a good turnover machine.

As a fan, while losing on the road sucks (except for the feeling that you gave your all for Tennessee) winning is incredibly exhilarating. Vols fans love being deep in enemy territory, showing out, and the team always makes a point of showing real appreciation to traveling fans. They typically gather in front of the visitors section and celebrate with our road fans.

Singing "Rocky Top" en masse in someone else's stadium or swaying to the Tennessee Waltz with the team is an experience you won't ever forget. Our big road crowds build the prestige of the program, and I think our fans take pride in that.

Two of my favorite days were cheering on wins in Athens! This is last week:

In case someone didn't discover the conclusion of the big NIL brouhaha at UNLV: #24.

It shouldn't be necessary to say, but we won the CWS after Burns left for a deal at Wake.

This thing is working fine because, not despite the fact, that the NCAA has lost control of crooked enforcement power.

And our baseball recruiting and portal wins are outstanding!

Last edited:

This is so complicated, so many scenarios.

National League wild-card race​

Even in a tight race, the scenarios entering the final day of the regular season are typically pretty straightforward. That isn't the case this year, thanks to Hurricane Helene.

The Mets and Braves have played two fewer games than the Diamondbacks, and there is still a chance they won't actually have to play a doubleheader on Monday.

• WC2: Braves, 88-71 (.553), +1.0
  • WC3: Mets, 87-72 (.547)
  • Diamondbacks, 88-73 (.547), 0.0 GB (lose tiebreaker)
Here is how every single Sunday scenario would impact the NL wild-card picture:

Braves win + Mets win + Diamondbacks win

The Braves would clinch a postseason berth while the Mets and Diamondbacks would both stay alive entering Monday. New York would simply need to go 1-1 in a Monday doubleheader to clinch in this scenario, which might make the second game unnecessary unless the two teams decide to play for seeding.

Braves win + Mets win + Diamondbacks loss

The Braves and Mets would both clinch a postseason berth, while the Diamondbacks would be eliminated. In this scenario, a doubleheader might not be played. All that would be left up for grabs is seeding, and the decision regarding whether Monday's games should be played at all would come down to commissioner Rob Manfred.

If no doubleheader is played in this scenario, the Braves would head to San Diego while the Mets would go to Milwaukee.

Braves win + Mets loss + Diamondbacks loss

The Braves would clinch a postseason berth (but not yet the No. 5 seed), while the Mets would enter Monday just needing one win over Atlanta to clinch a postseason berth. The Diamondbacks would stay alive into Monday, but they would need the Mets to lose both games against an Atlanta team that already has a playoff spot in hand.

Braves win + Mets loss + Diamondbacks win

The Braves would clinch a postseason berth, while the Diamondbacks would jump the Mets for the No. 6 seed but could not clinch. In this scenario, the Mets would not only have to go to Atlanta for Monday's doubleheader, but they would have to win both games to go to the postseason. If they don't, Arizona advances.

Braves loss + Mets win + Diamondbacks win

The chaos scenario! No one would clinch a postseason berth if this is how Sunday played out, as the Braves and Mets would enter Monday tied while the Diamondbacks would be in a virtual tie with the two.

Okay, so what now? The Braves and Mets would still need just one win in the doubleheader to clinch a postseason berth. The winner of the first game would go to the postseason, and the loser of that game would have to win the second game to clinch as well. If the doubleheader is a sweep, the Diamondbacks advance.

Braves loss + Mets win + Diamondbacks loss

The Mets and Braves would both clinch a postseason berth, eliminating the Diamondbacks and likely making a doubleheader unnecessary. New York and Atlanta could still play for seeding, but that might not be preferred by either team, and the decision comes down to Manfred.

If no doubleheader is played in this scenario, the Braves would head to San Diego while the Mets would go to Milwaukee.

Braves loss + Mets loss + Diamondbacks win

The other chaos scenario! No team would clinch a postseason berth, and the Diamondbacks would at least temporarily jump the Mets for the No. 6 seed.

Come Monday, the Braves would need just one win over the Mets to clinch. The Mets, however, would need two wins over the Braves to clinch. That means any Atlanta win on Monday in this scenario would clinch a postseason berth both for themselves and for the Diamondbacks.

If the Mets won the first game of the doubleheader under this scenario, it would make Game 2 a win-or-go-home game.

Braves loss + Mets loss + Diamondbacks loss

With the way these teams have been playing, this probably wouldn't be a huge shock. The scenario would play out exactly like it would if all three teams won, though.

The Braves would clinch, while the Mets would have to play for a postseason bid on Monday. New York would need just one win in Atlanta to advance, while the Diamondbacks' only hope would be two Mets losses on Monday.
…yer making my head hurt… 🤕

VN Store

Back