The Dugout - General Topics, Chat, Random Photos and Memes.......No Politics

and then there is this

Thome and his wife, Andrea, have two children, Lila Grace and Landon.[150] He has also established funds to put his 10 nieces and nephews through college.[151] During the offseason he lives in Burr Ridge, Illinois.[6] ESPN's SportsCenter reported that shortly after his nephew, Brandon, was paralyzed in an accident, he asked Thome to hit a home run for him; Thome obliged, hitting two in the subsequent game.[152] Thome is also a philanthropist and provided help to the communities surrounding the teams for which he played. In recognition of his community involvement, he was given the Marvin Miller Man of the Year Award in 2001 and 2004, and the Lou Gehrig Memorial Award in 2004.[153] In 2013, after the November 17, 2013, tornado outbreak struck Washington, Illinois, just 15 miles (24 km) from his hometown, he and his wife pledged to donate $100,000 to relief efforts.[154] Among the philanthropic endeavors Thome and his wife heavily support are Children's Home + Aid, which strives to help underprivileged children predominantly with finding care (e.g., foster care, adoption, etc.),[155] and an annual benefit to raise money for the Children's Hospital of Illinois, continuing a tradition his mother started years ago.[156] Moreover, the Thomes try "to stay connected with at least one or two organizations in each of the cities" that Thome has played.[155]

In 2019, a renovated youth baseball field in Cleveland was named the 'Jim Thome All-Star Complex' in his honor.
[157]

Hello everyone on NFL Week 4 Sunday which is the last day of September.

It wasn’t surprising at all that the White Sox made infamous history when they lost their 121st game to a fearless Tigers team that had the intent to win to clinch a playoff berth as soon as possible.
So Mets fans can now be slightly less sad that the 2024 White Sox can now be mocked and made fun of as the worst team in MLB since 1900.

It only took 62 seasons later for a MLB team to achieve unintentionally a worse loss record in the regular season than the 1962 Mets.

Reactions: knoxvol52
The baseball season has finally ended for me.

Against the odds, the mighty White Sox finish with 41 wins which puts them over the magical .250 winning percentage. It's a dream come true as the Sox finish 5-1 in last six meaningless games. The Sox wasted a quality start on Friday by Garret Crochet who went 4 innings giving up 0 runs and SO 6. The management graciously reduced his workload the last few weeks to give some young guys a look.

Garrett gave up only 1 run in his final 12 innings over three games and finished 6-12 with a 3.58 ERA. 1.07 WHIP and 209 SS and 33 BB in 146 innings

I'm not sure why but Garrett says hes willing to sign an extension but I believe Chicago will trade him away to better replace the useless, unprofessional offensive players on the roster.

Chicago "only" broke the loss record by 1 and avoided the records for winning percentage and worst run differential. The next lowest winning percentage was .377 by the Rockies who were also second in worst run differential at -247 to Sox -306. In other words, the Sox provided the Rockies management a lot of camouflage in 2024.

Chicago finished 51-1/2 games behind Cleveland in division and 53-1/2 behind NYY in AL standings and 57 games behind LAD in all of MLB.
The Sox missed the final wild card spot by a respectable 45 games
Chicago was 10-42 against their Central Division foes. (.192)
They had 10 wins against the AL East and 10 wins against the AL West as well in an odd coincidence.
they were .246 against RH starters and .275 against LH

The Sox open up 2025 against the Angels in Chicago on 3/27
and play three midweek games in ATL 8/18-8/20- get your tickets early.

On a side note, the White Sox lease at New Comiskey/US Cellular/Guaranteed Rate Field expires after the 2029 season five seasons away. That's not much time in this day and age. For some reason, he Sox want to stay in Chicago but greatly desire a stadium and development deal that is increasingly common in pro sports. The Development is called "The 78" and is located along the lovely Chicago River southeast of downtown and outside the increasingly inhospitable southside neighborhood that has been home for over a century.

Chicago and Illinois would be foolish to not let the Sox develop this ugly site. However, I believe the Sox and other "red headed step teams" would be better off in new cities rather than be perpetual second fiddles in their current cities. Charlotte and Nashville would be the most likely landing pads for the White Sox.

The Angels are in the same boat as Chicago, but at least Anaheim is more preferrable than southside Chicago. Their stadium lease also expires after 2029.

Stadiums are getting smaller.
Revenue sharing is increasing
TV revenue is in flux.

We could see a lot of movement in coming years

I don't believe the A's in Las Vegas is set in stone yet. I think Vegas would prefer a team with better ownership as they have Mark Davis experience.

Teams looking around in coming years

Athletics (lease expired)
Rays (lease expires 2027)
Diamondbacks (2027) negotiations have gone poorly
White Sox (2029)
Angels (2029) Lots of mayhem with the current deal as Moreno associates are trying to buy the stadium outright,

I don't think there are others teams to add. Even the Marlins are stuck for decades.

I think the Sox and Angels need to move somewhere they will be appreciated more. Even if it's a smaller TV market Nashville, Charlotte, Portland, Montreal, Vancouver, San Antonio, and Salt Lake City fit that bill.

I believe the big sports leagues are beginning to cast a weary eye at states with high tax rates and not an all that business friendly outlook. I think MLB really wants the Rays to stay- at least in Florida.

I'm also not sure what is going on in Arizona. The cities jerked around the Coyotes and Gary Bettman finally had to throw in the towel and move them to Utah. He needed to do this years ago but did not want to admit pushing Arizona was ever a mistake. I believe the team will flourish in SLC.

MLB has a geography problem and always has. They have over franchised locations and left other growing regions in the cold.

DC and Baltimore both don't need teams. But the Orioles have recently renewed their lease. Baltimore is basically Oakland with a tourist district.
Chicago needs just one team and the undeserved love the Cubs get means the Sox need to go.
The Mets are so poorly managed that NYC's National League roots are forgotten.
Southern California doesn't even remember the Angels and the greatest player in this generation is forgotten.
The A's have finally realized their Bay Area place but can't find a taker as currently owned.

Then there is the Rustbelt-5.
Pirates, Guardians, Tigers, Brewers, and Twins.

Only tradition keeps these teams in their current locales. If MLB were being created in 2024, would any of these cities receive a franchise over Nashville, Charlotte, San Antonio, Salt Lake City, Oklahoma City, Austin, Las Vegas, Portland, Indianapolis, Vancouver, or Montreal?

The largest metro areas in USA and Canada without MLB?

(15) Inland Empire (Riverside, San Bernadino, Ontario CA)
(17) Montreal
(22) Vancouver
(25) Orlando
(26) Charlotte
(27) San Antonio
(28) Portland
(38) Austin
(39) Sacramento (will for next 3 years- they may get stuck with A's)
(41) El Paso
(43) Las Vegas
(46) Columbus
(49) Indianapolis
(50) Nashville

Last edited:
Scary video of being trapped during the Hurricane coming through while out ...

My elderly father-in-law is over in Arden, North Carolina, which is just outside of Asheville at the edge of Buncombe County. We weren’t able to get word from him for over two days and everybody was real nervous. Thankfully, he is fine.

His house is fine, but five houses around him have trees through them. Power lines are down everywhere. No road around him was traversable by car until about 2 o’clock yesterday. We only heard from him because he was able to get out to a mobile hotspot and give us a call. Lots of destruction.

VN Store

Back