The fall of big programs

VolsByNature

DeletedPost Record Holder
How do we explain the fall of powerhouses we once knew?

Florida State
Miami
Notre Dame
Tennessee
Virgina Tech

And the rise of the "WHO!?!?"

USF
BYU
East Carolina
Missouri
Texas Tech
Kansas

WTF is going on?

85 schollys and lower standards for acceptance into universities.

Miami and Notre Dame lost the coaches that made them win games.
FSU is like us, There is no real reason to fall. The Bowdens and Fulmers of the world set the standards high and are not delivering lately. I have heard from many FSU people that Bowden does very little coaching and is the "face" of FSU.
VT I never considered a "powerhouse" so I don't count them.

As for the up and comers, they have good players and inovative coaches that want to win!

Florida State- has been coach
Miami- bad coach, but Shannon will bring them back up
Notre Dame- bad coach, and Weiss isn't looking any better.
Tennessee- has been coach
Virgina Tech- I wouldn't put them in the same category.

Florida State
Miami
Notre Dame
Tennessee
Virgina Tech

And the rise of the "WHO!?!?"

USF
BYU
East Carolina
Missouri
Texas Tech
Kansas

WTF is going on?

Because we have a tendency to look at short term results and fallaciously interpret long term trends from them. 25 years ago, SMU, Air Force and that same ECU team graced the top 25; 15 years ago Arizona, North Carolina and K. St. were ranked. 5 Years ago, Washington State and Miami of Ohio were in the top 10! None of those programs were actually "risen."

You can't measure the strength of a program by one glimpse at a poll, whether it was two decades ago or last week. The teams you mention as "fallen" have won 9 national championships over that same 25 year period and are staples in the polls over that time. And if you don't think they will be jockeying for position at the top of the college football world again in the near future, I think you are in for a rude surprise.

How long ago was it when you would have included Florida in your "fallen" list? Alabama? Oklahoma? USC? Nobody stays at the top forever, and it seems almost as unlikely that these tradition rich programs will stay down for long. Just try to look at a time period longer than last week's poll.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back