The Gardening Thread

@GVF, Hal Mumme coached at Valdosta State 1992-1996 (40-17-1). From there, he went to Kentucky.
I remember when he made the switch. He was a great offensive mind but didn't transfer over to a solid HC. Then again he started his HC career at KY. I think The Pirate and a host of others branched off his open offense tree.

Reactions: Tin Man
I remember when he made the switch. He was a great offensive mind but didn't transfer over to a solid HC. Then again he started his HC career at KY. I think The Pirate and a host of others branched off his open offense tree.
He accepted the job at Kentucky. šŸ˜œ

Timing is everything. Should have waited till later in week when storms passed to plant my seedling tomatoes. They been on the porch a couple weeks but haven't hardened off as much as I thought and planted yesterday anyway at lunch break. Quite healthy but still a bit soft.

I have a bag of bamboo skewers that comes in handy when plants aren;t big enough for other stake supports. So this morning before work I had to go out and skewer stake my tomatoes and get them back upright till they are big enough to pin to the trellis. The store bought Better Boy didn't even know anything was happening.

So far so good. The garden has survived the storms. Or what little is planted so far. Only one mater struggling. and it probably would have anyway. Should have held back on planting that one. But, it was just a Korean Long saucer and I got a better boy that can step in for some canning. I was curious how it would have been. I might leave it a day or two and see if it responds.

Reactions: VolNExile
Leaving work early today since I have some time built up to go home and finally get my pepper plants in their grow bags. I should have done this last weekend because they are beyond ready (and Iā€™ve been busy) but also glad I didnā€™t because of the storms this week. This next week looks fantastic for newly planted, hardening off plants. Except for maybe the low-50 nights.

Reactions: VolNExile
Made some good headway planting yesterday. Garden is now planted in :

Tomatoes, broccoli, brussells, peppers, 2nd onion patch, turnips, cantelopes, cal bush sweet watermelon (3 ft vines), yellow squash, cocozelle zucchini, honey bush butternut, cut and come again celery, green beans, potatoes, Various carrots, golden beats.

Left to plant:
Corn, sweet peas, radish, white acre peas, okra, eggplant, sunflowers. That may be all. Plus I will add some pumpkin to trial grow for my step son.

minimizing my weed maintenance this year with landscape cloth in several areas. Will straw mulch the tomatoes and deal with the corn and sunflowers. Everything else pretty well covered.

Edit: Update to my weed reduction experiment...landscape cloth. Seems to be pros and cons, expecially if using around your landscaping. After an inital concern of water passing thru it seems after a good rain or soaking it appears to become very permeable for the water to pass. Plus, I plan to roll it up at end of season for re-use and soil replenishment.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back