The Gators Are Having Fun In The Sun

Give him SIX!

When so many of your "offseason" days involve "voluntary" workouts under a hot Florida sun, the creature comforts are important. Whether it's the cool feeling of the faux leather living-room lounge chair or something as simple as the right flavor of Gatorade, the rewards don't have to be extravagant to matter.
For the members of the Florida football team, one of those little luxuries has been taken away.
Urban Meyer is in their heads again, using psychological warfare to get his message across. Which is why you can hear crickets chirping in the Gator locker room.
Usually at this time of the year, that locker room is full of laughter and sweat, a meeting place for the football players whether they be living on or off campus, freshmen or seniors, black or white. They love hanging around in the place where they will experience so many emotions in the fall.
But they have been kicked out.
Meyer, who has engaged in a number of unconventional ways to motivate his football team, has come up with a locker-room lockout.
Players cannot use their lockers to change clothes. Heck, they can't even use the clothes the athletic program provides for its student-athletes to use during workouts. It's almost like a semi-pro tryout camp - bring your own shorts and cleats.
It was after the spring practices that Meyer told the team that the locker room was no longer their second home, no longer a refuge from the humidity.
They would have to find another place to hang out (and hopefully it's not The Palace). In his mind, the players have earned nothing more than scholarships. They have proved nothing, a mantra we have heard from Meyer before (see: Deshawn Wynn).
This is just me talking, but the players have proved plenty - that they can lose games late and that they can't win a bowl game. But they have also proved that they want to win, that they are as tired as anybody in the Gator Nation of losing five games a season.
They have bought into the Meyer Plan. He has said himself that there has been less resistance than he expected.
But Meyer knows what all coaches know, that those fourth quarters are not won in the final minutes of a game but in the hours put in before practice begins, that his team will get a lot more out of the next 100 days than his first 100 days.
Therefore, Das Boot.
The football team isn't alone in being expelled from the bowels of the stadium. Handsomely-framed pictures of Gator greats hanging in the hallways have been taken down and - amazing as it might seem - not by South Carolina players.
The players, who were instructed to do the heavy lifting themselves, have even removed the giant Gator head traditionally slapped by gloved hands before the team runs out of the tunnel on game days.
The good news for the football team is that each player has a chance to earn his way back into the locker room during the brutal days before practice begins in August. (Sources close to the situation have confirmed that Florida will dress in the home team locker room for the opener against Wyoming and will not be running onto the field to "Heeeeeeere Come The Gators" from the portal in Section 32).
You do the right things, show up on time and work hard and you'll be dressing inside the stadium rather than in your dorm room. You'll be wearing the Gator Nike instead of a Burrito Bros. T-shirt.
The players have to fight for the right to be Gators. This is simply another step in the Meyer philosophy of using more than a pat on the back to reward the guys he feels he can count on. The quarterly Champions dinners, the leadership committee with its color-coded ratings, they are all set up to identify and cultivate winners.
Some of Meyer's ideas have been superficial - such as naming the student section and teaching everyone the words to the fight song - actions that really won't help the team win football games. But we all know that every year at the SEC Media Days in Birmingham, each coach talks about how his team has never worked harder than it did over the summer.
Florida's coach wants to - and in his mind has to - be able to say that with conviction.
Meyer's first big orange-and-blue victory is far on the horizon, while most of his players have won in Tallahassee, Baton Rouge and Jacksonville, but Meyer isn't concerned with rewarding yesterday. It's about rewarding today.
And for the players, tomorrow.

This dude sound's like some of my old Drill Instructors from bootcamp.

I guess if the players buy into it, It may work?

They must have been pretty far off as a Unit? Rebuilding is a lonnggg road!

When Urban and the gators lose 2-3 games next year and no SEC East Title....this ridiculous honeymoon will end

I'm getting tired of the phrase "Urban's honeymoon." How about we come up with a new one?

Why are we coming up with something that fits? He is in a honeymoon period where everything is great. It's a perfect illustration until the season.

Not sure why we should make up a new phrase for something that makes complete sense

I agree with IBleedOrange24/7. I think it might actually work, IF the players buy into it. Any Marine can tell you that when you go through bootcamp all you want to do is become a marine. For 13 weeks you are called everything imaginable EXCEPT "Marine". Your sole purpose then is to become a marine, and prove to everyone, ecspecially the Drill Instructors (Urban Meyers), that you deserve and have earned that title. Yes, it is a stretch, but what does he have to loose?

Urban's next step will be the big one. He will not allow any fans to enter the swamp until they can prove they are life-long gator fans. All told, there should be about 23 UF fans at the first home game.

I believe that all of this could pay off for Meyer and the gators. If these guys buy into his system and his way of getting this done it will pay off for him. When it's fourth down and goal at the one yard line to win the game these guys are going to remember the hell that they went through to put on that jersey and to be standing where they are and they won't quit. Then it becomes a matter of pride and descipline. So I personally think in the long run it will pay off for the gators football team.

OH NO! Floridas gonna beat everyone because he took their locker room away.... :dlol:

Originally posted by man in k town@May 6, 2005 12:32 PM
so where will they be getting their pads on now? :eek:

What kind of question is that :dunno: you do not wear pads in the summer!!!

On another note Toddbond will NEVER be back :muahaha:

Originally posted by utvolpj@May 6, 2005 9:00 AM
Urban's next step will be the big one. He will not allow any fans to enter the swamp until they can prove they are life-long gator fans. All told, there should be about 23 UF fans at the first home game.

Ha ha, good one! :lol:

Meyer is definitetely doing some unconventional things to get these guys to work harder and toughen them up both mentally and physically..he'll be a hero if it works..or on the next Zookie train outta there if it doesn't! :lol: Time will tell.

Originally posted by NCGatorBait@May 7, 2005 9:43 PM
Meyer is definitetely doing some unconventional things to get these guys to work harder and toughen them up both mentally and physically..he'll be a hero if it works..or on the next Zookie train outta there if it doesn't! :lol: Time will tell.

Hey Bait,

How ya doing?

What's your feeling on the Urban experiment? I've gone on the record as saying his style of offense will not play well in places like Knoxville, Jacksonville, Tuscaloosa, Baton Rouge, and in Gainesville for that matter, when the big boys from the SEC come to call. I think the defenses are far too advanced, and far too big and quick for his offense to be successful enough to win championships in this league. I've been agreed with by some, and openly mocked by others.

What's your honest feelings. I've long respected your opinions since you have that rare ability to look past the little bit of homer that resides in all of us.

p.s.

You might remember me best as VOL^.

Regards,

Originally posted by OldVol+May 7, 2005 10:57 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (OldVol @ May 7, 2005 10:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-NCGatorBait@May 7, 2005 9:43 PM
Meyer is definitetely doing some unconventional things to get these guys to work harder and toughen them up both mentally and physically..he&#39;ll be a hero if it works..or on the next Zookie train outta there if it doesn&#39;t&#33; :lol: Time will tell.

Hey Bait,

How ya doing?

What&#39;s your feeling on the Urban experiment? I&#39;ve gone on the record as saying his style of offense will not play well in places like Knoxville, Jacksonville, Tuscaloosa, Baton Rouge, and in Gainesville for that matter, when the big boys from the SEC come to call. I think the defenses are far too advanced, and far too big and quick for his offense to be successful enough to win championships in this league. I&#39;ve been agreed with by some, and openly mocked by others.

What&#39;s your honest feelings. I&#39;ve long respected your opinions since you have that rare ability to look past the little bit of homer that resides in all of us.

p.s.

You might remember me best as VOL^.

Regards, [/quote]
Hey bro...good to see you as well. I posted some of my thoughts in the thread below&#33;

Click Here

I honestly think it can work...just not as effectively with Leak. Leak obviously is not a dual threat QB so the O will be tailored somewhat to his strengths. I did like what I saw with the Portis frosh running this system. It&#39;s different, course SOS was a lil different when he came riding into town and I can only hope Meyer can move this program back to that stature.

I do see a couple game improvement this yr...prolly 3 losses..anything better will be icing on the cake for me. I dont have some ludacris expectations of going undefeated or only losing a game or so.

VN Store

Back