The Looming Danger of Antibiotics

Rasputin_Vol

"Slava Ukraina"
Trust the science... It wouldn't surprise me if people will be called antibiotic hesitant.

Antibiotic-Resistant Bugs Will Kill As Many As Cancer By 2050; UN Report | ZeroHedge

I am curious to know, however, why the predict more deaths in Asia (per 10,000 people) than North America. Seems like (per 10,000 people), with our diets, lifestyle issues and feral pharmaceutical industry that we would be at the top of the list.

Although the risks of AMR will impact people worldwide, Low-Income Countries (LICs) and Lower-Middle-Income Countries (LMICs) are expected to see the highest death tolls. By region, Asia is predicted to see the highest number of AMR-related deaths per 10,000 population in 2050 (4,730,000), followed by Africa (4,150,000), Latin America (392,000), Europe (390,000), North America (317,000) and Oceania (22,000).

Trust the science... It wouldn't surprise me if people will be called antibiotic hesitant.

Antibiotic-Resistant Bugs Will Kill As Many As Cancer By 2050; UN Report | ZeroHedge

I am curious to know, however, why the predict more deaths in Asia (per 10,000 people) than North America. Seems like (per 10,000 people), with our diets, lifestyle issues and feral pharmaceutical industry that we would be at the top of the list.

That chart is going to enrage lefties; traffic accidents made the list and gun deaths are nowhere to be seen.

The majority of Asia does not have the food health code laws that we do and the open markets are where they find most of their meat. A lot of cross contamination. There you buy a pig, take it home, kill it urself and cook it and hope it didn’t have a disease. Here the pig gets taken to a factory and butchered but checked by multiple sources for disease before hitting your grocery store shelves. My belief is you thought of Japan, just me guessing, but they are completely different than viet nam, Philippines, China etc.

Antibiotics are one of the few drugs that should be highly regulated and require a prescription.

Reactions: norrislakevol
The majority of Asia does not have the food health code laws that we do and the open markets are where they find most of their meat. A lot of cross contamination. There you buy a pig, take it home, kill it urself and cook it and hope it didn’t have a disease. Here the pig gets taken to a factory and butchered but checked by multiple sources for disease before hitting your grocery store shelves. My belief is you thought of Japan, just me guessing, but they are completely different than viet nam, Philippines, China etc.
Hmmm... I'm not so sure how safe our food processing is here anymore.

Moving toward buying into cows and hogs for hte freezer. Bypass all that crap at the feed lots and processing plants. Neighbor runs cows on our properties. No charge for hte meat. Just split the kill bill. My split would be $200 for 200-300 pounds of meat.

I have purchased food in many different markets all over Thailand for years and never got sick once. I had the opportunity to see a pig farm that was operated by a friend of my FIL's. It was a really nifty experience. Those pigs were slaughtered and taken to markets to sell the same day. Some of the best pork I have ever eaten. Yes, this is anecdotal.

My belief is you thought of Japan, just me guessing, but they are completely different than viet nam, Philippines, China etc.
Also, the reason why I was questioning why Asia would see higher deaths didn't have much to do with food processing. The cynical side of me wondered if these predictions may be because some super bug may be engineered to attack a specific demographic.

Reactions: AM64 and NEO
I have purchased food in many different markets all over Thailand for years and never got sick once. I had the opportunity to see a pig farm that was operated by a friend of my FIL's. It was a really nifty experience. Those pigs were slaughtered and taken to markets to sell the same day. Some of the best pork I have ever eaten. Yes, this is anecdotal.

My wife actually owns/owned a pig farm before the last storm caused a flood that wiped it out. They would feed them basic grain etc but no antibiotics. I honestly don’t know if that is a plus, as their immune systems are definitely stronger, or a con. My wife can no longer drink the water there when she visits as it makes her sick but her whole life growing up it never did.

I just had lechon a few days ago, funny enough.

Reactions: PEPPERJAX and AM64
Antibiotics are one of the few drugs that should be highly regulated and require a prescription.

This is something you and I have agreed on in the previous threads years ago. I once stated I was open to legalizing all drugs without a prescription except for antibiotics.

Now, I’d be open to legalizing that too.

This is something you and I have agreed on in the previous threads years ago. I once stated I was open to legalizing all drugs without a prescription except for antibiotics.

Now, I’d be open to legalizing that too.

I agree except on the antibiotics. I'm no doctor but I'm 100% convinced they are over prescribed so making them OTC would be a disaster.

I agree except on the antibiotics. I'm no doctor but I'm 100% convinced they are over prescribed so making them OTC would be a disaster.

For sure they’re over prescribed. Sometimes it’s out of caution and a good thing. For example a lot of people will prescribe antibiotics for conjunctivitis (pink eye) even if it appears to be viral, just to be safe. Because they don’t want to miss bacterial conjunctivitis and a child end up losing their vision (not sure how likely that is, but I do know it’s common in cattle).

Some of it sadly, is just to appease parents. “They brought them here, so they’ll want something”. I oppose that form the most. But I’m hopeful that technology (improved testing methods to discriminate between bacterial vs viral infections) will limit these issues.

Hmmm... I'm not so sure how safe our food processing is here anymore.

We certainly seem to have more food recalls than we used to. Could be we are better at identifying problems after the stuff hits the shelves, but it still indicates a lot of problems in the processing stage - might even have to do with mega processing than the bad ole days when we did stuff more locally. Like before Agra put Con into the process.

Reactions: NEO
Every urgent care in America. We joke about how all their patients have bilateral otitis media and receive rocephin and triamcinolone
I constantly have to hear how parents have the same thing as their kids and just got a Rocephin shot, steroid shot, and oral antibiotics for their "sinus infections" (which, of course, are not contagious).

Reactions: Vol8188 and AM64
I constantly have to hear how parents have the same thing as their kids and just got a Rocephin shot, steroid shot, and oral antibiotics for their "sinus infections" (which, of course, are not contagious).

I can't even imagine what life must be like for docs with the nonstop commercials from drug companies.

I've read that the viral antibiotics the Russians use can cause bacteria to lose their antibiotic resistance, also there's work being done with probiotics in protective coating used in conjunction with antibiotics to treat resistant bacteria

Reactions: Vol8188
Investor Group Takes Aim at Antibiotics, Demanding Changes From Fast-Food Companies

A number of large institutional investors are joining together to put pressure on food companies to curb the use of antibiotics in livestock, which the World Health Organization says is contributing to some infections becoming hard to treat with existing drugs. The WHO estimates that resistance to drugs—also known as antimicrobial resistance—could cost the global economy $100 trillion by 2050 if no action is taken.

Reactions: norrislakevol

I agree. Most drug abuse only harms the user. Antibiotic abuse can cause super bacteria to develop, and that can harm others.

Superbugs Kill More Than 30,000 Europeans Every Year

According to the latest study on antibiotic resistance mortality by the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, antibiotic-resistant bacteria caused the deaths of around 31,000 to 39,000 people each year across 29 European countries between 2016 and 2020.

European researchers are warning of the danger of over dependence on antibiotics in human and veterinary medicine, which is driving the increase in bacterial resistance to antibiotics.

VN Store

Back