The more you know!!!

Milehigh_Vol

Did you know that the "Fumblerooski" was used in Kingsport first and actually used by UT against Florida in 1930 by Bobby Dodd." Against Florida in 1930 he got his teammates in a huddle and told them about a play he had used in high school. When the ball was snapped, it was placed on the ground unattended. The players ran in one direction. Then the center returned, picked up the ball, and waltzed to the winning touchdown." The More you know!!!

Here is a link National Football Foundation > Programs > College Football Hall of Fame > SearchDetail

Reactions: 2 people
I played for chattanooga centeral l946-9 at center and we ran that play some. I would center the ball and the qb would lay it behind me on the ground while the team took off on their own assignments. It worked most of the time for a fair gain. It was exciting for the center to run the ball! Our coach edder was a friend of coach dodd. He recruited at least 2 from our team, with one going on and making all american. His name was lamar wheat. Bob mccoy, a running back also went to gt.

Go Big Orange!!!

Reactions: 4 people
I grew up across the street from the Wheats in Murray Hills. He used to tell us the story about his blocked punts at Gt and how he would get paid $50.00 cash for each one. i think he held a record for a while. Great man and great family as our families were very close. I was a year younger than his daughter Sherry...

Tennessee pulled off a fairly similar trick Saturday in much less spectacular circumstances. Leading Mississippi State, 17-7, in the second quarter, Vols guard Bernard Dafney picked up the snap which the center had dropped on the ground, and ran around left end 32 yards for a touchdown. UT Coach Johnny Majors: ''It was a very good play. It gave us some breathing room at the time. It's one of those plays that either goes or doesn't go.''

My high school ran a play called a guard delay. The guard would take a step back from the line while the rest of the team took off running to imitate a student body right type of situation. When all the defenders bit on it and took off, the QB just handed it to the OG, who just ran for the endzone. We pulled it twice in a game once, causing the opposing coach to nearly have a stroke.

images

Reactions: 1 person
I played for chattanooga centeral l946-9 at center and we ran that play some. I would center the ball and the qb would lay it behind me on the ground while the team took off on their own assignments. It worked most of the time for a fair gain. It was exciting for the center to run the ball! Our coach edder was a friend of coach dodd. He recruited at least 2 from our team, with one going on and making all american. His name was lamar wheat. Bob mccoy, a running back also went to gt.

Go Big Orange!!!

My grandparents went there in the early 50's. My grandfather played with Hoppe

VN Store

Back