The Morning After

VFL-82-JP

Bleedin' Orange...
Hey, just some notes as we look back over yesterday's battlefield:

Just over half of the SEC teams remain undefeated after two weeks. Surprisingly, Vandy is among them. Heh. Go, little brother, run and skip in the sunshine while you can. We'll see you in late November. Mizzou, Texas, Bama and LSU will see you even sooner.

A peek at the box score:
-- Nico 16/23 for 211, 2 TDs, 2 INTs--for those seeking a "freshman muddle," this is probably it. Heh.
-- Nico was also our #2 rusher, 8 carries, 65 yards, avg 8.1 and a TD, long of 31
-- Sampson was top ground pounder, with 20 rushes for 132 yards, avg 6.6, 2 TDs, long of 34 yards
-- Slot man Squirrel White (2 for 67) and TE Miles Kitselman (3 for 39, 1 TD) led our air attack, which was mostly underneath
-- 3 sacks, spread around 3 fellas, and thirteen tackles for loss
-- Our defense held Grayson McCall to 15 of 22 for 104 yards, no TD, and 1 INT. Likewise, held RB Hollywood Smothers to 25 yards of running production, and Kevin Concepcion to 5 receptions for 53 yards.
-- The INT, by Will Brooks, a pick-six for 85 yards
-- Squirrel had 3 punt returns for 58 yards, longest was 31 (I think he ran about 150 yards on returns, heh, mostly cross-field)
-- Max Gilbert was 3 of 4 on FG attempts, missing on a 53-yarder but hitting all the rest
-- Jackson Ross only needed to punt once. It went 43 yards.

Elsewhere:

South Carolina sits alone at the head of the SEC standings this morning, 1-0, thanks to being the winner of the season's very first conference match-up. Poor ol' Kentucky, that could've been them.

The Chattanooga Mocs took their loss to us harder than they should've. Favored in the pre-season to win their conference, they're already 0-2 (both losses were to FBS programs). But their conference play starts next week vs Mercer. Go Mocs, bounce back, win your league and maybe the FCS!

And what's next:

It keeps getting worse for Kentucky: UGa comes to town Saturday. Heh.

Bama plays Wisconsin next week. Normally I'd say this would be a cake walk for the Tide. But after Alex Golesh and USF stood toe to toe with them for three quarters yesterday, maybe the dairy farmers have a shot....

As already mentioned, USCe is riding high at the moment. LSU is getting ready to ruin their mood next Saturday.

2-0 Boston College are feeling their oats. Do you think they have it in them to upset #9 Mizzou next weekend? Would be funny, though the B10 acolytes would take it as a clear sign that B10 > SEC.

A&M and the Gators face off this Saturday, too. It will be like watching two nearly-dead, emaciated bears fighting over a scrap of food.

We're 2-0 with a 120-13 score advantage, and looking forward to both Kent State and Oklahoma!

Go Vols!

Just over half of the SEC teams remain undefeated after two weeks. Surprisingly, Vandy is among them. Heh. Go, little brother, run and skip in the sunshine while you can. We'll see you in late November. Mizzou, Texas, Bama and LSU will see you even sooner.

A peek at the box score:
-- Nico 16/23 for 211, 2 TDs, 2 INTs--for those seeking a "freshman muddle," this is probably it. Heh.
-- Nico was also our #2 rusher, 8 carries, 65 yards, avg 8.1 and a TD, long of 31
-- Sampson was top ground pounder, with 20 rushes for 132 yards, avg 6.6, 2 TDs, long of 34 yards
-- Slot man Squirrel White (2 for 67) and TE Miles Kitselman (3 for 39, 1 TD) led our air attack, which was mostly underneath
-- Our defense held Grayson McCall to 15 of 22 for 104 yards, no TD, and 1 INT. Likewise, held RB Hollywood Smothers to 25 yards of running production, and Kevin Concepcion to 5 receptions for 53 yards.
-- Squirrel had 3 punt returns for 58 yards, longest was 31 (I think he ran about 150 yards on returns, heh, mostly cross-field)
-- Max Gilbert was 3 of 4 on FG attempts, missing on a 53-yarder but hitting all the rest

Elsewhere:

South Carolina sits alone at the head of the SEC standings this morning, 1-0, thanks to being the winner of the season's very first conference match-up. Poor ol' Kentucky, that could've been them.

The Chattanooga Mocs took their loss to us harder than they should've. Favored in the pre-season to win their conference, they're already 0-2 (both losses were to FBS programs). But their conference play starts next week vs Mercer. Go Mocs, bounce back, win your league and maybe the FCS!

And what's next:

Bama plays Wisconsin next week. Normally I'd say this would be a cake walk for the Tide. But after Alex Golesh and USF stood toe to toe with them for three quarters yesterday, maybe the dairy farmers have a shot....

As already mentioned, USCe is riding high at the moment. LSU is getting ready to ruin their mood next Saturday.

2-0 Boston College are feeling their oats. Do you think they have it in them to upset #9 Mizzou next weekend? Would be funny, though the B10 acolytes would take it as a clear sign that B10 > SEC.

A&M and the Gators face off this Saturday, too. It will be like watching two nearly-dead, emaciated bears fighting over a scrap of food.

We're 2-0 with a 120-13 score advantage, and looking forward to both Kent State and Oklahoma!

Go Vols!
Josh needs to take Golesh out to lunch one day. USF has given Alabama fits both last year and this year. I’d want to pick his brain on USF’s defensive philosophy.

Josh needs to take Golesh out to lunch one day. USF has given Alabama fits both last year and this year. I’d want to pick his brain on USF’s defensive philosophy.
Yah, agreed, but our defense ain't too shabby, either. We'll see it really tested vs Oklahoma, but so far so great.

For those folks who were screaming to fahr Banks and Martinez: -3 and -10. And 7 of the -10 were not given up by the D (a pick-six). Really, just two field goals in two games. That's a defense--every bit of it--that General Neyland could be proud of. The complainers need to lay off our defensive coaches. All of 'em.

Of course, the trolls will continue to troll.

Go Vols!

Yah, agreed, but our defense ain't too shabby, either. We'll see it really tested vs Oklahoma, but so far so great.

For those folks who were screaming to fahr Banks and Martinez: -3 and -10. And 7 of the -10 were not given up by the D. Really, just two field goals in two games. That's a defense--every bit of it--that General Neyland could be proud of. The complainers need to lay off our defensive coaches. All of 'em.

Go Vols!
Trolls will be back out after we give up a defensive touchdown. We haven’t seen one of those in over 12 quarters. And 8 of those quarters were to ranked teams.

I couldn't really care less if the media believes the Big 10 is a better conference than the SEC. I hope BC boat races MZ. At the end of the day, it will be a SEC team hoisting the national championship trophy in the air. It might not be a team I like, but they will be wearing a SEC patch.

For those folks who were screaming to fahr Banks and Martinez: -3 and -10. And 7 of the -10 were not given up by the D (a pick-six). Really, just two field goals in two games. That's a defense--every bit of it--that General Neyland could be proud of. The complainers need to lay off our defensive coaches. All of 'em.

Go Vols!
So the Oklahoma juggernaut that managed 16 points against Houston is going to be the big test we’re waiting on? Maybe your right, but Oklahoma isn’t looking nearly as good as preseason expectations IMO.

I legitimately think this is the best D we've had since the Fulmer years. Offense still needs some work - running game is in great shape, but passing game still not 100% there (but Nico will get better - only his 3rd start!). But man, this D could be top 5 in the country this year.

Not normally a hater, but as long as DrinkaSchlitz is coach I wish only bad things for Mizzou. Also, the 12 team playoff should effectively answer "who's the best conference?" from now on.

Great write up!

Nice to see Hyp change up the offense to the 2 tight end power move in 2nd half with Nico not having one of his better passing days. I attribute some of that to State playing a little different type D and they did pressure him a lot. Will be a good learning experience for down the road when the D's will be even better. Receivers going to have to do better with separation.

Not normally a hater, but as long as DrinkaSchlitz is coach I wish only bad things for Mizzou. Also, the 12 team playoff should effectively answer "who's the best conference?" from now on.

Great write up!
Good one. Name from the past. I remember that beer. Had an uncle that drank that. I think it was considered a good beer in its day.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
So the Oklahoma juggernaut that managed 16 points against Houston is going to be the big test we’re waiting on? Maybe your right, but Oklahoma isn’t looking nearly as good as preseason expectations IMO.

I don't know what to think of that game. Houston looked terrible in week 1, so I thought it would be a blowout. Houston also gifted the Sooners on the muffed kickoff for a short field TD.

Ok gets Tulane next week. Tulane should have beat KanSt last week. If OK doesn't play better, they will already have a loss before they play us.

I couldn't really care less if the media believes the Big 10 is a better conference than the SEC. I hope BC boat races MZ. At the end of the day, it will be a SEC team hoisting the national championship trophy in the air. It might not be a team I like, but they will be wearing a SEC patch.
If it ain't the VOLS, I hope every sec team loses

A peek at the box score:

Elsewhere:

And what's next:

Go Vols!
LSU aint that great.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back