The Next Johnny Football in the SEC?

UTProf

One of those listed is UT's Josh Dobbs.

The lead up...
A year ago, things were much different for Johnny Manziel and college football as a whole. The country hadn't yet figured out who he was. And neither had he. Johnny Football hadn't yet been born.

The breathtaking plays, the otherworldly athleticism, the Sharpie-saturated scandal -- none of it had begun to devour College Station midway through fall camp in 2012. We were still wondering how Texas A&M would adjust to the SEC, not the other way around.

It felt like the league had finally caught its breath from Cam Newton's unexpected romp through the conference when Manziel came along, first winning the Aggies' starting quarterback job and then the Heisman Trophy. His ascension was as swift as it was unpredictable. He didn't look the part of a superstar, but he could sure play it. At 6-foot in stilettos, Manziel was a ballroom dancer on the football field, only no one else could figure out the steps.

Can anyone catch on to his act this year? No one knows.

Can anyone duplicate his success? Maybe.

With that in mind, here's a look at some sleeper candidates to pull off a Manziel-like rise from a no-name commodity to a player on the tip of everyone's tongue:

<SNIP>

Here's the writer's reasoning for Dobbs:

Joshua Dobbs, QB, Tennesee: He may be a year off, but Dobbs is the type of quarterback who could revitalize the Tennessee fan base with his ability to make big plays with his arm and his feet. Though a true freshman, he has a leg up on his competition in that he's not a typical pro-style passer recruited by coaches from bygone eras. First-year coach Butch Jones is looking for a fresh start at Tennessee, and he could be tempted to dive in head-first with Dobbs, who has the size and athleticism that's perfect for his up-tempo scheme.

It's great press for UT and Dobbs but I think naming him as a potential "Johnny Football" type is way too much pressure to put on a true freshman. Manziel was at RS Freshman and while that's been lost in the 'first freshman to win the Heisman' hype there's an enormous difference between someone who has had a year of training and learning and someone who just stepped on campus.

Who's the next Johnny Football in the SEC? - Dallas Colleges Blog - ESPN Dallas

From what I understand he's a pocket passer who can scramble but not really a running QB.

This.

He does have the mobility to be taught and execute some zone read once they are comfortable he can take a hit.

in other words, he has good pocket presents

Yes. I do think the main point the writer was trying to make had less to do with JFF and more to do with going from no-name to superstar although I don't think he made that point clear enough. He also listed several other players, not all were QBs but I didn't think it would be right to post the entire article (not sure of the site's rules on posting the entire thing).

I'm not sure that that the author is calling Dobbs a running QB by saying he can make plays with both his arms and feet. The same description could be used for Peterman. However, I found that he singled out Dobbs out of our 4 QBs interesting.

Last edited:
Would've made more sense if he'd picked Ferguson.

I've watched both high school highlight film's Ferguson has better feet then Dobbs, but they both looked equally impressive throwing the ball.

But then again, it was a highlight film.... and everyone looks impressive in a highlight film.

They need to make a (low)light film. It would much more accurate in judging player's. lol

Reactions: 1 person
One of those listed is UT's Josh Dobbs.

It's great press for UT and Dobbs but I think naming him as a potential "Johnny Football" type is way too much pressure to put on a true freshman. Manziel was at RS Freshman and while that's been lost in the 'first freshman to win the Heisman' hype there's an enormous difference between someone who has had a year of training and learning and someone who just stepped on campus.

My vote is yes.

Dobbs is not a running qb, no matter how black he is.

A year ago, things were much different for Johnny Manziel and college football before we found out he's an a-hole. The country hadn't yet figured out what a jerk he was. And neither had he. Johnny Football hadn't yet been born.

FYP

Reactions: 1 person
A year ago, things were much different for Johnny Manziel and college football before we found out he's an a-hole. The country hadn't yet figured out what a jerk he was. And neither had he. Johnny Football hadn't yet been born.

FYP

:eek:lol: I was thinking that too. It's an insult to compare anyone to JFF right now. But I would clarify, that's not my writing but the ESPN writer's.
----

And Salute - About the 3rd post in this thread is me saying Dobbs isn't a running QB but a pocket passer/pro-style who can scramble. So please don't confuse my words for your interpretation the ESPN author's. I'm not sure what the author was going for with his analysis but I thought it was interesting that a player from UT made the list. I will say it seems to me the writer is more about who is the next guy to come out of nowhere than who plays like Manziel but his analysis of Dobbs is a bit odd.

VN Store

Back