The Official Bellarmine @ Tennessee Game Thread (Tues. 4/25/23) 6:30PM EST SEC NETWORK+

NO SIR EEE

The Sultan Of Swat
Bellarmine Knights (11-29) Overall (6-12) ASUN
Brett_Pfaadt-2_EKU_Celebration.jpg

@
Tennessee Volunteers (26-14) Overall (8-10) SEC

UONWSCKBXRGKXED4GJ6OF4AMBM.jpg

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – Looking to build off a red-hot weekend during which they swept No. 2 Vanderbilt, the eighth-ranked Tennessee Volunteers are back in action Tuesday night as they host Bellarmine in a midweek beginning at 6:30 p.m. ET at Lindsey Nelson Stadium. Tennessee (26-14, 8-10 SEC) built a lot of positive momentum in the first game of the weekend series against Vanderbilt, winning the opener in walk-off fashion, 4-3, as Griffin Merritt blasted a solo homer to the opposite field in the top of the 12th to send the Volunteer faithful home happy.

Chase Burns was terrific over the weekend, making two appearances on Friday and Sunday, logging four total innings with eight strikeouts and just one base runner allowed. The talented sophomore earned the victory on Friday night and was named SEC Co-Pitcher of the Week by the conference on Monday afternoon.

PROJECTED STARTING PITCHERS
Tuesday, April 25 (6:30 p.m. ET)
LHP Zander Sechrist (0-1, 2.18 ERA) vs. RHP Matt Craven (1-2, 6.14 ERA)

BROADCAST INFO
Tuesday's game will stream on SEC Network+ and the ESPN app with Andy Brock (PxP) on the call. The online broadcast can be accessed on any mobile device through WatchESPN. WatchESPN can be accessed through the ESPN App, or online at espn.com/watch.

Fans can also listen to the Voice of Tennessee Baseball, John Wilkerson, and Vince Ferrara call the action on the Vol Network (FM 99.1/990 AM) or via a free audio stream on UTSports.com and the Tennessee Athletics Gameday App.

SERIES HISTORY
Overall: Tennessee leads, 2-0
In Knoxville: Tennessee leads, 2-0
In Louisville: none
at Neutral Sites: none
Prior Meetings: Tennessee leads, 2-0
Last Meeting: W, 11-5 (May 10, 2022, in Knoxville)

The Vols and Knights are squaring off for the third time in the last two seasons. Bellarmine transitioned to the NCAA Division I ranks in 2020.

NOTABLE
CLUTCH HITTING
In its last two games, UT scored 19 of its 27 runs with two outs and went 11-for-23 with runners in scoring position. In its five games before that, the Vols were just 4-for-34 with runners in scoring position.

HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE
Tennessee is in the midst of a nine-game homestand. UT has been hard to beat at home this season, going 24-4 at Lindsey Nelson Stadium. The Vols are an impressive 105-20 at home since the start of the 2020 season.

GRIFF GETTING IT DONE
After slumping to start SEC play, graduate transfer Griffin Merritt has been one of the Vols' hottest hitters in recent weeks. The Cincinnati native leads the team with a .400 batting average, five homers, 12 RBIs, 27 total bases, a 1.080 slugging percentage and a .464 on-base percentage over the team's last 10 games.

Merritt won the game for UT with a walk-off home run in the bottom of the 12th inning in Friday's series opener against No. 2 Vanderbilt. In Sunday's series finale, Merritt homered against and also had a double and a walk to finish with three RBIs and three runs scored.

OPPONENT SCOUT
Bellarmine Knights
  • 2023 Record: 11-29 (6-12 ASUN)
  • 2022 Record: 11-43 (8-22 ASUN)
  • 2022 Postseason: ineligible (NCAA Mandated Classification Transition)
  • 2023 ASUN Preseason Poll: 13th
  • Head Coach: Chris Dominguez (first season)
  • Stat Leaders:
    • Average: Casey Sorg (.312)
    • OBP: Davis Crane (.422)
    • SLG: Reed Blaszczyk (.535)
    • OPS: Reed Blaszczyk (.906)
    • Hits: Colin Bertsch (44)
    • Runs: Reed Blaszczyk (27)
    • RBIs: Reed Blaszczyk (29)
    • Doubles: Reed Blaszczyk (10)
    • Triples: Three tied (1)
    • Home Runs: Reed Blaszczyk (8)
    • Stolen Bases: Will Aubel (9)
    • ERA: Nolan Pender (4.82)
    • WHIP: Nolan Pender (1.35)
    • BAA: Nolan Pender (.273)
    • Innings Pitched: Nolan Pender (61.2)
    • Strikeouts: Nolan Pender (61)
    • Wins: Nolan Pender, Drew Buhr (4)
    • Saves: Matt Craven (5)
ON DECK
Tennessee begins the back-half of its nine-game homestand as Mississippi State comes to Rocky Top for a three-game series beginning Thursday night and ending on Saturday. The series opener is slated for 7 p.m. ET at Lindsey Nelson Stadium and will be broadcast on SEC Network.

Last edited:
Bellarmine Knights (11-29) Overall (6-12) ASUN
Brett_Pfaadt-2_EKU_Celebration.jpg

@
Tennessee Volunteers (26-14) Overall (8-10) SEC

UONWSCKBXRGKXED4GJ6OF4AMBM.jpg

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – Looking to build off a red-hot weekend during which they swept No. 2 Vanderbilt, the eighth-ranked Tennessee Volunteers are back in action Tuesday night as they host Bellarmine in a midweek beginning at 6:30 p.m. ET at Lindsey Nelson Stadium. Tennessee (26-14, 8-10 SEC) built a lot of positive momentum in the first game of the weekend series against Vanderbilt, winning the opener in walk-off fashion, 4-3, as Griffin Merritt blasted a solo homer to the opposite field in the top of the 12th to send the Volunteer faithful home happy.

Chase Burns was terrific over the weekend, making two appearances on Friday and Sunday, logging four total innings with eight strikeouts and just one base runner allowed. The talented sophomore earned the victory on Friday night and was named SEC Co-Pitcher of the Week by the conference on Monday afternoon.

PROJECTED STARTING PITCHERS
Tuesday, April 25 (6:30 p.m. ET)
LHP Zander Sechrist (0-1, 2.18 ERA) vs. RHP Matt Craven (1-2, 6.14 ERA)

BROADCAST INFO
Tuesday's game will stream on SEC Network+ and the ESPN app with Andy Brock (PxP) on the call. The online broadcast can be accessed on any mobile device through WatchESPN. WatchESPN can be accessed through the ESPN App, or online at espn.com/watch.

Fans can also listen to the Voice of Tennessee Baseball, John Wilkerson, and Vince Ferrara call the action on the Vol Network (FM 99.1/990 AM) or via a free audio stream on UTSports.com and the Tennessee Athletics Gameday App.

SERIES HISTORY
Overall: Tennessee leads, 2-0
In Knoxville: Tennessee leads, 2-0
In Louisville: none
at Neutral Sites: none
Prior Meetings: Tennessee leads, 2-0
Last Meeting: W, 11-5 (May 10, 2022, in Knoxville)

The Vols and Knights are squaring off for the third time in the last two seasons. Bellarmine transitioned to the NCAA Division I ranks in 2020.

NOTABLE
CLUTCH HITTING
In its last two games, UT scored 19 of its 27 runs with two outs and went 11-for-23 with runners in scoring position. In its five games before that, the Vols were just 4-for-34 with runners in scoring position.

HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE
Tennessee is in the midst of a nine-game homestand. UT has been hard to beat at home this season, going 24-4 at Lindsey Nelson Stadium. The Vols are an impressive 105-20 at home since the start of the 2020 season.

GRIFF GETTING IT DONE
After slumping to start SEC play, graduate transfer Griffin Merritt has been one of the Vols' hottest hitters in recent weeks. The Cincinnati native leads the team with a .400 batting average, five homers, 12 RBIs, 27 total bases, a 1.080 slugging percentage and a .464 on-base percentage over the team's last 10 games.

Merritt won the game for UT with a walk-off home run in the bottom of the 12th inning in Friday's series opener against No. 2 Vanderbilt. In Sunday's series finale, Merritt homered against and also had a double and a walk to finish with three RBIs and three runs scored.

OPPONENT SCOUT
Bellarmine Knights
  • 2023 Record: 11-29 (6-12 ASUN)
  • 2022 Record: 11-43 (8-22 ASUN)
  • 2022 Postseason: ineligible (NCAA Mandated Classification Transition)
  • 2023 ASUN Preseason Poll: 13th
  • Head Coach: Chris Dominguez (first season)
  • Stat Leaders:
    • Average: Casey Sorg (.312)
    • OBP: Davis Crane (.422)
    • SLG: Reed Blaszczyk (.535)
    • OPS: Reed Blaszczyk (.906)
    • Hits: Colin Bertsch (44)
    • Runs: Reed Blaszczyk (27)
    • RBIs: Reed Blaszczyk (29)
    • Doubles: Reed Blaszczyk (10)
    • Triples: Three tied (1)
    • Home Runs: Reed Blaszczyk (8)
    • Stolen Bases: Will Aubel (9)
    • ERA: Nolan Pender (4.82)
    • WHIP: Nolan Pender (1.35)
    • BAA: Nolan Pender (.273)
    • Innings Pitched: Nolan Pender (61.2)
    • Strikeouts: Nolan Pender (61)
    • Wins: Nolan Pender, Drew Buhr (4)
    • Saves: Matt Craven (5)
ON DECK
Tennessee begins the back-half of its nine-game homestand as Mississippi State comes to Rocky Top for a three-game series beginning Thursday night and ending on Saturday. The series opener is slated for 7 p.m. ET at Lindsey Nelson Stadium and will be broadcast on SEC Network.
Matchup info updated! GBO!!

I’d like to see Zander give us some extended innings tonight. Seems like he’s been coming out early this season. Maybe Tony is trying to keep bullpen arms loose. Dunno. But I wanna see all available hands on deck vs. MSU, which starts in 2 days.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I’d like to see Zander give us some extended innings tonight. Seems like he’s been coming out early this season. Maybe Tony is trying to keep bullpen arms loose. Dunno. But I wanna see all available hands on deck vs. MSU, which starts in 2 days.
It would be great to not see a lot of our pen this weekend. I know it's asking a lot, but another sweep would be just what the doctor ordered for our post season positioning. I've all but given up on hosting. Still, I think 7-5 to finish in the SEC with our schedule might get us some consideration. Yeah, I know our road record sucks. Just gotta have a great weekend vs MSU. Winning this series is a minimum.

I'm saying you will see a lot of everyone today because you only saw a few this weekend. I'm guessing one inning a piece and hopefully only go 7 innings. All of the bullpen guys will either throw in the game, which they prefer, or have to throw a bullpen for their midweek throwing. So why not throw them in the game rather than make them and the catchers stay after and throw their bullpen.

I'm saying you will see a lot of everyone today because you only saw a few this weekend. I'm guessing one inning a piece and hopefully only go 7 innings. All of the bullpen guys will either throw in the game, which they prefer, or have to throw a bullpen for their midweek throwing. So why not throw them in the game rather than make them and the catchers stay after and throw their bullpen.

Yes, hope we see 8-10 pitchers today. We need all hands on deck for the MSU Bulldawgs.

Today, against a right handed starter, I would like to see some Dreiling and Tears out there.

You might even talk me into letting Tears play first base. Blake probably could use a break.

Stack in the left handed hitters for first time thru order.

VN Store

Back