The Official Countdown To Tennessee Football 2024 (ITS FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE)

44 Days!

Tennessee junior punter Herman Weaver gets his punt off against Alabama. Weaver, the nation's leading punter with 44-yard average, had a 36.9-yard average in the game as Tennessee survived a missed two-point conversion, an onside kick and a missed field goal in the final minute and 12 seconds to win 10-9 over Alabama at Neyland Stadium Oct. 19, 1968.

IMG_2123.jpeg

36 Days!

#36 Ed Molinski was an All-American player that starred for Tennessee on both the offensive and defensive lines between 1938-40.

Molinski played for Paul Brown, the future NFL Hall of Fame coach for the Cleveland Brownsand Cincinnati Bengals, at Massillon Washington High School in Ohio before joining Tennessee as a freshman in 1937.

Molinski starred as a guard on the Vols' offensive line, and was a key contributor on the defensive line where he helped every opponent on Tennessee's schedule scoreless in 1939--an NCAA record.

IMG_2152.jpeg

35 Days!

#35 William Howard was a four-year letter winner and All-SEC running back at Tennessee between 1984-87 before a productive two-year stint in the NFL.

Howard signed with the Vols out of Lima Senior High School in Ohio in 1984, and was a reserve running back on Tennessee's 1985 SEC Championship team that beat Miami in the Sugar Bowl.

Howard had his best campaign as a junior in 1986, rushing for nearly 800 yards and 14 touchdowns in just eight games. He was key in helping turn the Vols' season around after a 2-5 start. Tennessee won its last five games to finish 7-5, and Howard was named Second Team All-SEC.

Over four seasons, Howard accounted for 1,711 yards and 21 touchdowns on 398 carries, and caught 70 passes for more than 600 yards and another score.

Howard remains in the Vols' record books in consecutive rushes by the same player with 16 against Ole Miss in 1986.

1722095919764.jpeg

34 Days!

Travis Stephens, who was an All-SEC and All-American running back at Tennessee between 1997-01 wore the #34.

Stephens entered a crowded running backs room as a freshman at Tennessee in 1997 that included Travis Henry, Jamal Lewis and Shawn Bryson. He played in eight games, but carried the ball just nine times for 36 yards during the Vols' SEC Championship run that season.

A year later, Stephens appeared in 13 games, starting in four and accounting for nearly 500 yards and four touchdowns in a season that Tennessee went unbeaten and won the BCS National Championship Game in 1998.

After red-shirting in 1999, Stephens was second in the running backs rotation behind Henry in 2000, rushing for 359 yards and seven scores, but his best season was still ahead.

With Henry gone, Stephens was the Vols' featured back as a senior in 2001 and made the most the role. He racked up 1,454 yards and 10 touchdowns on 291 carries and became the first Tennessee running back since Johnny Majors to earn All-America honors.

Stephens posted 100-plus yards in five games and 200 or more yards twice, including a dominating 226-yard, two-touchdown performance to help the Vols upset No. 2 Florida in Gainesville and clinch the SEC Eastern Division.

Stephens was selected by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the fourth round of the the 2002 NFL Draft and was a member of the franchise's Super Bowl XXXVII winning team in 2003.

Stephens is ranked 12th in Tennessee program history in career rushing yards with 2,336 yards while his 1,454 yards in 2001 still stand as a single-season best in the Vols' record books.

1722208061742.jpeg

33 Days!

Johnnie Jones wore the #33 on Rocky Top.

Jones, who was the Vols’ first-ever 1,000-yard rusher, and helped complete a 41-34 comeback win over Alabama at Legion Field with a 66-yard touchdown run in the final minutes in 1983.

That video -- and every Vols-posted video of that game that I can find -- will not play. Those videos would play within the last year: I watched them. Anyway, a version of Tennessee's "Big Orange Sunday" posted by Bama plays :rolleyes:. At 19:45:

The good news: the video is crisper for lack of play. And you get to listen to John Ward. Bad news: You don't get to hear the Bama announcer crying. 😂

Last edited:
32 Days!

Hubert Simpson wore #32. He burst onto the scene in 1979 and helped Tennessee to one of the first signature wins under third-year head coach Johnny Majors.

From down the road in Athens, Tennessee, Simpson played at McMinn County High School before joining the Vols in 1976. It took some time for him to impact Tennessee's offense, but he had a memorable--and historic--starting debut against No. 13 Notre Dame at Neyland Stadium on Nov. 10, 1979.

Coming off of an upset loss to Rutgers at home the week before, the Vols reversed course vs. the Fighting Irish. Behind Simpson and quarterback Jimmy Streater, Tennessee routed Notre Dame, 40-18.

Playing fullback, Simpson tied a program record with four rushing touchdowns to go along with 117 yards, out-shining touted Fighting Irish Vagas Ferguson, who was held to just 88 yards and was stopped by the Tennessee defense in a game-altering goal-line stand in the first half.

Simpson had his most productive season that year, rushing for 792 yards and six touchdowns on 157 carries.

In three seasons, Simpson combined for 1,516 yards and 11 scores, which ranks 32nd in program history.

1722348701095.jpeg

Listen man, this countdown has been pretty grueling, I do my research with any numbers I can find. If you don’t like it, do one on your own.
My post was not meant to be an attack on your post. It is just how I think. To me, punting means the offense was stopped. I never understood celebrating a punting record. It is like celebrating failure. JMHO

VN Store

Back