The Philippines Will Have a President with a Familiar Name

EasternVol

No, not his nickname. Thoughts on what kind of leader he might be?
Will he work for the people or be a kleptocrat like his parents?
Will he be for us, against us, or take a neutral path as regards PRC?

Last edited:
No, not his nickname. Thoughts on what kind of leader he might be?
Will he work for the people or be a kleptocrat like his parents?
Will he be for us, against us, or take a neutral path as regards PRC?
Completely baffling how they can vote for him. I am hopeful that he will be the leader they need after Duterte. I am not, however, confident. I do not think the apple fell very far from the tree.

Reactions: EasternVol
While many of his policies are unclear, Marcos Jr. is expected to continue Duterte’s policies on infrastructure and his controversial “war on drugs.”

Marcos built a lot of the hospitals and recreation centers.

The new president will not make the same mistakes his father did and he is very Americanized and will tie the country closer to the USA. He was also raised internationally so the hope is he will bring a global outlook.

All I can say is my wife is very happy and has a ton of hope.

The new president will not make the same mistakes his father did and he is very Americanized and will tie the country closer to the USA. He was also raised internationally so the hope is he will bring a global outlook.

Let's hope Jr is good for the country

Reactions: joevol24 and NEO
Let's hope Jr is good for the country

You are from there, correct?

It is really weird the love they have for Marcos sr now. Many, and I mean many, feel he was the last good leader and everyone since has sucked much worse.

Reactions: joevol24

It seems Marcos Sr has a generally favorable legacy from Filipinos. They know he did terrible things and stole millions of dollars, but because he built some nice things, all is forgiven.

You are from there, correct?

It is really weird the love they have for Marcos sr now. Many, and I mean many, feel he was the last good leader and everyone since has sucked much worse.
I'm from the US but have been in SEA for quite a while. I know a lot of people from the Philippines as friends and from work. I've heard different views on the election; some are happy and some not,
Maybe the longing for Marcos Sr is remembering the good and forgetting the bad. Many Indonesians feel the same about Suharto. . .

I'm from the US but have been in SEA for quite a while. I know a lot of people from the Philippines as friends and from work. I've heard different views on the election; some are happy and some not, Maybe the longing for Marcos Sr is remembering the good and forgetting the bad. Many Indonesians feel the same about Suharto. . .

I figure Neo is 1/3 Filipino because he married one and lives there.
I'm 1/200 Filipino because I've been there twice and have a virtual team there for work.

How Filipino would you say you are? Have you eaten balut?

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
It seems Marcos Sr has a generally favorable legacy from Filipinos. They know he did terrible things and stole millions of dollars, but because he built some nice things, all is forgiven.

I would generally agree.

I'm 1/200 Filipino because I've been there twice and have a virtual team there for work.

HaHa, good question. Maybe 1/20 give or take. I've been there a few times and like Jollibee. I have not eaten balut though.

Last edited:

I am 48 percent German, 48 percent Scandinavian that settled in Ireland on my mothers side and 1 percent African and 1 percent Filipino. We have zero idea how the 1 percent happened for either.

My mother side were Vikings and my fathers side we just don’t mention. I am 4th generation US citizen.

I live mostly in TN by old hickory lake and outside Columbus OH in a village called Muirfield. I am honestly rarely ever in the Philippines and not a huge fan. It is just not for me. We were going to live in Makita at one point but neither my wife nor I decided to do it. There was a bombing at the local mall when we were looking a high rises and I just didn’t feel safe. Plus, she is very Americanized now.

What is sad about this thread is most people will not understand how important the VFA with the philippines is. It is a very important part of the world for us to be

It was an absolutely horrible choice by the people of the Philippines.

"BongBong" is very pro- China, and he's not even sure he's welcomed in America because his family is responsible for a large sum of money yet to be repaid.

He and his mother were allowed to come back to Philippines by president Aquino. And there are rumor$ a$ to what the rea$on$ were.

Oh, and his Vice President is Sara Dueterte...who is just like her father DingDong Duerte.
That country is ####ed.

It was an absolutely horrible choice by the people of the Philippines.

"BongBong" is very pro- China, and he's not even sure he's welcomed in America because his family is responsible for a large sum of money yet to be repaid.

He and his mother were allowed to come back to Philippines by president Aquino. And there are rumor$ a$ to what the rea$on$ were.

Oh, and his Vice President is Sara Dueterte...who is just like her father DingDong Duerte.
That country is ####ed.

I don't know how bad it will be, early thoughts fall in line with you. However, as to why the people elected him is due to a rewriting of history there basically. Add in the fact that the economy and everything has been stagnant since Sr was deposed and all people see is that under the elder Marcos the Philippines was a growing economy and subsequent presidents have failed them. People don't realize how hard it is to do things when billions of dollars were stolen by the Marcos family leaving the country bankrupt.

My hope is Jr remembers that Reagan was one of his dad's biggest supporters and done everything he could to get the family out alive. Hopefully that buy the US some affinity with him.

Reactions: EasternVol

VN Store

Back