The real reason this is a Horrible recruiting year....

LIvol

Earlier this season we were hoping for a commitment from a solid WR from Georgia, but did not get it from him. I thought he was lost for this class and then popped up with an Official Visit to us next weekend......oh by the way he is no longer coming

Scout.com: Charles Reeves Profile

So the reason this is a horrible recruiting year is that one "solid" WR from Georgia either didn't visit, or did visit and isn't committing?

No it's horrible because we can not even convince a small school wide receiver whom would be good on ST and may have a chance in a year or two since most of our "future productive WRs like to smoke a little substance, or can't make the grades"

in other words, we can't convince a kid whom has offer from a few small schools then why can we compete with the likes of a SEC or ACC school....which by the way we have not been able to do recently

in other words, we can't convince a kid whom has offer from a few small schools then why can we compete with the likes of a SEC or ACC school....which by the way we have not been able to do recently

Then (from your link) that means Auburn, Florida, Ole Miss and UNC can't compete either?

Lol. That is horrible logic. Reeves wanted to commit earlier and we didn't want him. We haven't been high on him at all. That isn't a big need in this class.

Is there a single reason?

I'd say that disruptions hurt national recruitng the most. The coaching changes, pot incident, and mid-season "fire Fulmer" stuff probably hurt recruiting with kids that weren't pretty high on UT to start with. They can't use the opportunity for instant playing time with as many positions this year either.

Those hinderances to national recruiting coupled with a down year for in-state talent and/or kids from other states that grew up with a Vol bias like Berry and Sawtelle... and you get a potentially tough year.

OTOH, if UT can land some decent recruits in the last two weeks it won't be anything close to a disaster.

If the class is ranked low because they take Scruggs and Raines plus some of the 3* guys that HV thinks might be underrated... I'm not going to get too worked up.

It would be nice to close out with a surprise from Davis, Thompson, Page, McClain, Abrams-Ward, and/or Witherspoon but CPF has a good enough record finding talent to give him a little bit of a benefit of a doubt.

This years class is not as bad as we're playing it out to be. Morley and Williams will make an instant impact on defense. I feel pretty confident that they would exceed playing abilities of most any freshman in the nation not named Eric Berry..LOL.

If you think back UT has a track record of turning less desirable recruits into solid players by buying into the system.Example....Arian Foster #69 RB and he could possibly be our alltime rushing leader. Ryan Karl was #70 Safety but turned out as a sold LB. Jonathan Heffney #34 CB and became an All American.

On the other hand you have highly touted recruits like Slick "BUST" Shelley who hasn't even earned his books yet. The Luxury of having TOP FIVE recruiting classes also comes with headaches because these atheletes think they are untouchable. The year after our #1 recruiting class we had how many arrests? Wasn't it 14 or so and suspended several kids.

I agree that our recruiting class is less flashy than other SEC teams but I agree with HV Warrior that are needs have been met to some degree. I also believe we will have a decent closing to the recruting season with a couple of nice surprises.

The combination of down recruiting years in '06 and '08 is going to show itself on the field over the next three seasons.

this years class will be fine. However, we need to follow up with a stronger class next year. I would like to see us close with more linemen on both sides of the ball.

I wouldn't give up on this year just yet. We would have to get a high percentage, but there are still a lot of players out there that could commit to Tennessee, a lot of good players.

It won't be like last year, but if we finish strong we won;t have much to complain about.

there are about 1 5 star linemen for every 10 five star Qb's, WRs and RBs as there are

anyone can tell a RB is special just by watching, but you actually have to work with linemen to see a special one.

there are about 1 5 star linemen for every 10 five star Qb's, WRs and RBs as there are
anyone can tell a RB is special just by watching, but you actually have to work with linemen to see a special one.

There are 11 five star QB's,WR's, and RB's combined while there are 8 5 star tackles.

VN Store

Back