The Texas A&M series was the first time this year felt like 2022

NighthawkVol

We hit well, we hit with runners in scoring position, we had a great comeback victory on Saturday, and we won 2 games that we put away fairly early...all against a good aTm team. Loved what I saw this weekend.

-I still don't think the starting pitching is where is needs to be and will be. Burns was cruising, then hit a wall. Beam was just okay. Dollander was good, but not as dominant as he can be. It's good to be able to win with less than elite starting pitching, knowing that it will come around. The bullpen is stellar. Better than last year, IMO. Speaking of which, when will Wyatt Evans be available?

-Dylan Dreiling needs to be in the lineup. All he does is hit. Between the 4 of Dickey, Merritt, Ensley, and Dreiling, 3 need to be starting in the OF. The other can be the DH most games. I was really hoping Dickey would impress at Catcher because that would open up room for another good bat. But he struggled back there. If he could be the catcher, you could start Merritt, Ensley, and Dreiling in the OF, Dickey at Catcher, and DH Tears. Taylor just puts a hole in the lineup. Maybe Stark will be the answer there? I know he's not considered the defensive catcher Taylor is, but he doesn't seem to be a liability back there, either.

-Hated seeing the base-running blunder by Ensley. When is it going to end?

-Christian Scott's multi-run saving catch was...wow.

-The Saturday win was the kind of gut check win that this team needed. Maybe last year's team could've used more games like that instead of blowing teams out most games...might've helped come postseason. That game will have positive repercussions the rest of the way, I believe.

-Good to see Denton have a big day. Kid looks 12, but he was a nightmare for aTm.

Big turnaround from the Missouri series. It gets tougher the next 2 weekends. No need to say how big this coming weekend will be. And the one after.

We hit well, we hit with runners in scoring position, we had a great comeback victory on Saturday, and we won 2 games that we put away fairly early...all against a good aTm team. Loved what I saw this weekend.

-I still don't think the starting pitching is where is needs to be and will be. Burns was cruising, then hit a wall. Beam was just okay. Dollander was good, but not as dominant as he can be. It's good to be able to win with less than elite starting pitching, knowing that it will come around. The bullpen is stellar. Better than last year, IMO. Speaking of which, when will Wyatt Evans be available?

-Dylan Dreiling needs to be in the lineup. All he does is hit. Between the 4 of Dickey, Merritt, Ensley, and Dreiling, 3 need to be starting in the OF. The other can be the DH most games. I was really hoping Dickey would impress at Catcher because that would open up room for another good bat. But he struggled back there. If he could be the catcher, you could start Merritt, Ensley, and Dreiling in the OF, Dickey at Catcher, and DH Tears. Taylor just puts a hole in the lineup. Maybe Stark will be the answer there? I know he's not considered the defensive catcher Taylor is, but he doesn't seem to be a liability back there, either.

-The Saturday win was the kind of gut check win that this team needed. Maybe last year's team could've used more games like that instead of blowing teams out most games...might've helped come postseason. That game will have positive repercussions the rest of the way, I believe.

-Good to see Denton have a big day. Kid looks 12, but he was a nightmare for aTm.

Big turnaround from the Missouri series. It gets tougher the next 2 weekends. No need to say how big this coming weekend will be. And the one after.

Great write-up, but I would extend the last thought to say it gets tougher the next 4 weekends

Now that basketball season for us is over, do the Baseball Vols still use the Daddy Hat? What about the fur coat?
I know they were controversial, but the guys had a lot of fun with them.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Now that basketball season for us is over, do the Baseball Vols still use the Daddy Hat? What about the fur coat?
I know they were controversial, but the guys had a lot of fun with them.
Yes, they do. As long as it doesn't leave the dugout then they're good to go

This is not the dominant team of the last two seasons. But, they don't have to be right now. Hitting is not as potent and the pitching has not been nearly as sharp as it has been the last two seasons. Closer games have made base running mistakes, pitchers inability to work ahead in the count, walks, and inopportune errors in the field more costly. Vols will have to learn to win more close games by doing the little things right but this should prepare them for the post season.

Team can still reach all of their goals but, it's gonna be a grind.........and it should be.

Wyatt is expected to throw a pen today.

As good as the starting pitching is, I personally think they are throwing too many strikes after they get ahead. Mentally trying for a strikeout instead of having batters chase and hit weak ground balls or soft flys. May be wrong but look at their strike/ball ratio and they throw around 75% strikes. Anderson will get it figured out. One of the best.
Regular season doesn’t really matter. Just make the regional tourney. Then play your best.

Reactions: MagnoliaVol
As good as the starting pitching is, I personally think they are throwing too many strikes after they get ahead. Mentally trying for a strikeout instead of having batters chase and hit weak ground balls or soft flys. May be wrong but look at their strike/ball ratio and they throw around 75% strikes. Anderson will get it figured out. One of the best.
Regular season doesn’t really matter. Just make the regional tourney. Then play your best.
Wow. Started 2012…hence the tears…

VN Store

Back