The WCC Just Got Even Tougher.

hatvol96

Loyola Marymount just hired Bill Bayno. Gonzaga can't like the idea of competeing against Bayno when he will have access to the fertile recruiting in the L.A. area. Great hire.

You beat me to it Hat. I saw this on ESPN about an hour ago. He'll be great, the WCC is slowly building into a powerhouse mid-major conference from top to bottom. 4 great coaches in the league

You beat me to it Hat. I saw this on ESPN about an hour ago. He'll be great, the WCC is slowly building into a powerhouse mid-major conference from top to bottom. 4 great coaches in the league
I'll be interested to see if Grier takes the Oregon State job. It's his if he wants it. Personally, I think that would be career suicide. On the other hand, if Randy Bennett is offered the Cal job, he should crawl on his hands and knees from Moraga to Berkeley to accept the post.

That league should be much deeper than it's been the last few seasons. There's no excuse for San Francisco and Pepperdine being as bad as they've been.

I've read on some other places that Grier is content on staying at San Diego. Oregon State is just awful. They'll be lucky to win 2 games in the Pac 10 this season. Bennett, on the other hand would be a good hire for Cal in my opinion. He's been great at Saint Mary's in his 5+years there

That league should be much deeper than it's been the last few seasons. There's no excuse for San Francisco and Pepperdine being as bad as they've been.

Pepperdine should retain most of their contributors for next season. San Francisco looks to have a solid foundation of returners back next season as well. I still would not bank on anyone contending with Gonzaga, San Diego, or Saint Mary's(assuming Grier and Bennett stay) next season

Pepperdine should retain most of their contributors for next season. San Francisco looks to have a solid foundation of returners back next season as well. I still would not bank on anyone contending with Gonzaga, San Diego, or Saint Mary's(assuming Grier and Bennett stay) next season
Asbury had a good run the first time around at Pepperdine, so that's not a bad hire. On the other hand, the San Francisco administration is so slipshod, I'll believe they'll make a good hire when I see it.

Off topic but hat what do you think of UMass and their coach. They play some entertaining basketball.

Off topic but hat what do you think of UMass and their coach. They play some entertaining basketball.
For personal reasons, I'm not much on Ford. However, he's done a nice job at Eastern and UMASS. If they can't lure a big name coach, I wouldn't be shocked to see Ford's name come into play with the LSU job.

Well, Grier just turned down Oregon State, who now effectively looks like they got punk'd. Will be tough for OSU to come back from, but we'll see what they do.

I'll be interested to see if Grier takes the Oregon State job. It's his if he wants it. Personally, I think that would be career suicide. On the other hand, if Randy Bennett is offered the Cal job, he should crawl on his hands and knees from Moraga to Berkeley to accept the post.

Grier turned down the Oregon State job.

SI.com - Grier to stay at San Diego rather than pursuing Oregon State job

I don't think Bennett will get hired at Cal. I think he is a little too rough around the edges. sadly many of our alumni would rather lose with a dignified coach than win with a bruiser.

Great hire by Cal, I'm surprised Montgomery is coming back to work. His Golden State payday was enough to assure his kids and grandkids never have to work a day in their lives.

I was going to get around to asking you that Hat. I read that yesterday. Hadn't really heard that much about him, but I was planning on getting some opinions on him

Rex played at Kansas and then in the NBA for a few years. I don't know about the hire, he wasn't as good as Matt Doherty was in his one year there, but he was a whole lot better than Sidney Green. Hat lives in South Florida so he will know more about Walters as a coach than I do.

Rex played at Kansas and then in the NBA for a few years. I don't know about the hire, he wasn't as good as Matt Doherty was in his one year there, but he was a whole lot better than Sidney Green. Hat lives in South Florida so he will know more about Walters as a coach than I do.
Depends on how you look at it. Sidney did get them to the NCAAs. However, that was before they moved into the Sun Belt. I think Rex is a good coach. San Francisco is an easier job to win at than FAU. That league is rapidly tuning into the Pacific Time Zone version of the Missouri Valley. Everyone has seen the success and exposure Gonzaga has attained and chosen to upgrade their own programs in an attempt to get some limelight for themselves. FAU has done some work on their facilities, but I'm not sure how committed they are. Who they hire as a replacement will say a great deal about their level of interest in creating a winning program.

Could happen much more rapidly, as well. All the WCC schools except Gonzaga are in or near fairly attractive locations. Wouldn't be suprised to see that sway a few big-time recruits into the conference sometime down the road.

VN Store

Back