There are about to be some angry smokers where I work

vader

El Chingón
Staff member
New company policy just announced:

Employees will not be permitted at any time to smoke or otherwise use tobacco while on company property, or in their personal vehicles while on company property.
Violations will be addressed in the same manner as other policy violations. In most circumstances, we will use a four-step progressive discipline process – up to and including termination. Extreme violations of the policy, such as smoking in a hazardous area, could result in immediate suspension and/or termination.

Do you think this is fair? I am not a smoker, so it does not affect me personally, but I feel like it is a bit much.

I understand the health risks involved with smoking, but why not disallow people eating cheeseburgers or vending machine chips on company property? Those are bad for you, too.

What do you think?

New company policy just announced:

Do you think this is fair? I am not a smoker, so it does not affect me personally, but I feel like it is a bit much.

I understand the health risks involved with smoking, but why not disallow people eating cheeseburgers or vending machine chips on company property? Those are bad for you, too.

What do you think?

I think the owner of a company should be able to run a business as he chooses. People are free to seek other employment

I think the owner of a company should be able to run a business as he chooses. People are free to seek other employment
Yes, but telling a person what they can or cannot do in their own private vheicle has nothing to do with running a business. Once a person gets into their car, it's none of the company's business what they do.

They should have no jurisdiction over someone's private vehicle.

There's nothing private about your vehicle when it's parked on someone else's property.

That being said, as much as I hate smoking, I think the rule is a little bit silly.

I see absolutely no problem with it while on company property. Add up all the time smokers are outside per week and it's a big chunk of time. Why should they get these breaks when non-smokers can't do it. Your habit does not make you have less work to do.

If they are on company property I disagree.
I guess it's all a matter of how you look at it. IMO, once a person gets into their vehicle, they are no longer on company property, they are in their own personal property. I just think this stuff gets ridiculous. I don't smoke, so I personally wouldn't care if they made them illegal. Until they do. I don't think anybody has the right to tell you that you can't do something that is perfectly legal, on your own time and in your own vehicle.

I bet the people that think it's OK to smoke in the "personal space" of their cars are likely the same people who pick their noses at stop lights. :p

Yes. If a car is on private property, it is under the property's domain. Companies restrict people from bringing firearms on private property even if kept in a car.

I agree with the notion that if you pull onto private property, you are subject to the rules of the property.

Yes, but telling a person what they can or cannot do in their own private vheicle has nothing to do with running a business. Once a person gets into their car, it's none of the company's business what they do.

It could also based on health insurance issues. Some companies have been successful at having policies where their employees are not allowed to smoke period.

I find the title of the post somewhat interesting also. If they are angry enough they can find another job.

It could also based on health insurance issues. Some companies have been successful at having policies where their employees are not allowed to smoke period.
It probably is, but that opens up an even bigger can of worms. Should companies be allowed to tell employees what they can and cannot eat? How about exercise? Maybe they should set up an exercise routine for all of their employees. Should your employer be allowed to set your bedtime for you? Maybe they can place a camera in the bedroom to enforce it. See how dangerous this can get? I can agree with charging smokers a higher premium maybe, but allowing employers to regulate personal habits based on "health concerns" can become a slippery slope quickly.

It probably is, but that opens up an even bigger can of worms. Should companies be allowed to tell employees what they can and cannot eat? How about exercise? Maybe they should set up an exercise routine for all of their employees. Should your employer be allowed to set your bedtime for you? Maybe they can place a camera in the bedroom to enforce it. See how dangerous this can get? I can agree with charging smokers a higher premium maybe, but allowing employers to regulate personal habits based on "health concerns" can become a slippery slope quickly.

This was part of my original point (though not expressed nearly as well as you did):hi:

The cmpany I work for just banned smoking on company property completly and inacted a new "health" policy for reducing premiums and assisting in costs for weight loss programs/gyms.

the thing with smoking is that it affects people that do not wish to partake (sp?) but eating is a personal choice. I know of companies in the timber industry that will not insure a smoker any more - m0ore power to em I say.

VN Store

Back