Things we need to do better.

Vfl2407

In some ways, this is still difficult to say due to the poor level of competition. I almost wish NCSU had been a better team to give us a better gauge.
That being said:
Nico sometimes throws into double coverage instead of checking down.
He may need to run more often too but needs to slide or get OOB to avoid direct hits.
We have a 4 headed monster at RB and will be 5 when Seldon returns. Use them all more.
Use Kitselman and Davis more.
Make a decision on 4-5 WR to get most of playing time in SEC games. Matthews should be one of them.
Hard to judge the D although we all would love to see some sacks and interceptions. Pearce won’t always be double teamed and he is going to be Pearce we all know one of these days. And we will all be rejoicing.
Our biggest pre season worry, secondary has exceeded expectations. Hopefully that continues.
They’ll get beat some but hope it’s not home run balls and they avoid PI penalties.
I want a pick 6 from a LB.

No MORE STUPID penalties on punt returns or personal fouls post whistle. 😗

Reactions: ChiTownVol
I want absolutely nothing to change. Keep doing EXACTLY what they are doing. This is currently a very well-oiled machine. Vols by 17+ over OU.
View attachment 677268

There's ALWAYS room for improvement. Jackson Arnold is REALLY bad vs pressure so we need to turn up the heat Saturday and have him looking for it on every snap. They don't throw downfield a lot and that's likely because they don't have time to let those plays develop as their OL performance has been woeful against bad competition.

Nico looks like the freshman he is, tries to force things at times. I'm sure CJH is still coaching him up but he's gonna get tested, maybe this week. He needs to play well this week.

Nico needs to run more? Need to run it more using 5 rb’s? Throw more to tight ends? Need to use 5 WR’s? What are we gonna do less?

Guess you’re saying we need more offensive plays. I’m down with that.

It seems almost silly to say considering we’re averaging almost 64 points a game, but I’d like to see more chemistry between Nico and the receivers. We’ve played such weak teams that Nico has actually played less than two full games, and we’ve been able to just run all over teams. OU’s defense should provide more of a challenge and hopefully we’ll see that start to develop.

Reactions: WillisWG
For all his talent, Nico is still an inexperienced QB. He isn't reading Ds as well as needed. He will in time. But too many times he's locking in on a receiver early. He's thrown into coverage multiple times. He's missed several open receivers. Good teams will hurt the Vols if he doesn't continue to get better.

The OL has looked great in run blocking but they've had several break downs in pass protection. They've got to tighten up. I'm sure I'm not the only one who holds his breath when Nico takes off running.

So far the D looks good but they've been hurt even by bad to mediocre WRs in man coverage. UT needs to be able to man up so the front 7 can get exotic.

As several have pointed out, this is kind of nitpicking considering the results so far. However the competition is about to get stiffer.

VN Store

Back