This makes me mad- downsized media guide

lol. communism at its best. they call it democracy though. wolf in sheeps clothing.

hey freak, how do we get a media guide?

"It's about leveling the playing field," NCAA spokeswoman Jennifer Kearns said."

Funny, they didn't say that about the APR, but I bet you money that is also about "leveling the playing field" . What is wrong with the NCAA? Someone needs to remove the stick.

You will be able to buy them from the University or from places like Hounddogs once they come out. I thiink I even found one at Weigels once.

Originally posted by Orangewhiteblood@Jun 4, 2005 10:07 AM
"It's about leveling the playing field," NCAA spokeswoman Jennifer Kearns said."

Funny, they didn't say that about the APR, but I bet you money that is also about "leveling the playing field" .  What is wrong with the NCAA?  Someone needs to remove the stick.
[snapback]100754[/snapback]​

I'ts getting bad when stupid stuff like this starts happening. I mean, do they really think that the size of a media guide is going to be the determining factor of which school a kid chooses?

"Well Mr. Star you can't be seious about signing with Virginia. You know that their media guide is only 185 pages. We have over twice that many. Now come one, sign right here on this page. We'll even throw in free media guides for all of your friends. Also, you do realize that if you come to school at Tennessee that you will get the next FOUR years media guides for you and your family at no cost. What do you say?"

Originally posted by vol_freak@Jun 4, 2005 10:15 AM
"Well Mr. Star you can't be seious about  signing with Virginia. You know that their media guide is only 185 pages. We have over twice that many. Now come one, sign right here on this page. We'll even throw in free media guides for all of your friends. Also, you do realize that if you come to school at Tennessee that you will get the next FOUR years media guides for you and your family at no cost. What do you say?"
[snapback]100759[/snapback]​

"No thanks, I would rather go to bama where they give you money."

Originally posted by Orangewhiteblood@Jun 4, 2005 10:18 AM
[snapback]100760[/snapback]​

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Originally posted by Orangewhiteblood@Jun 4, 2005 8:18 AM
[snapback]100760[/snapback]​

Exactly!!!!!! :dlol:

Originally posted by checkerboard_charly@Jun 4, 2005 9:10 AM
tennessee has the worst apr among football teams in the sec. that is just sad.
[snapback]100758[/snapback]​

Actually, I know Bama is below us. Iwill see if I can find the complete rankings.

This topic just pops my cork.

This is akin to the moronic, asinine activity that's been going on for about 4 years now. It started when the mid-majors launched a campaign to break into the BCS games without actually playing their way there.

It led to the SOS component of the BCS formula being removed (one of the few parts that actually made sense).

With the congressional hearings that threatened government intervention if the big boys didn't let the little fellahs' play.

I call it welfare for the football challenged.

I know there are some who will cry foul here, but Utah had absolutely no business being in a BCS game last year. They may have been better than half the teams there, but they did not play anyone of note.

They played Pitt (who also had no business being in the big dance, because the Big Easy just got too easy, and that's another topic for another thread) who did not beat a single ranked opponent all year, on top of which, they lost to the worst Nebraska team in the last 50 years, they lost to UConn, for crying out loud, and they also lost to an unranked Syracuse. So, Utah's win over the Panther's proved nothing.

Now for Utah's claim fo fame: Their best regular season win was Texas A&M. We all know how weak they were. The Vols could have beaten them by 50 had they not chosen to empty the bench. Their next best regular season win was a 6/6 NC team. Now, before anyone cries, "Oh, but they beat them by 30." Please don't. Virginia beat them by 30, and they didn't make it to the BCS.

Utah's Opponents records were as follows:

vs. Texas A&M (7-5)
9/11 @ Arizona (3-8)
9/18 @ Utah State (3-8)
9/25 vs. *Air Force (5-6)
10/1 @ *New Mexico (7-5)
10/16 vs. North Carolina (6-6)
10/23 vs. *Nevada-Las Vegas (2-9)
10/30 @ *San Diego State (4-7)
11/6 vs. *Colorado State (4-7)
11/13 @ *Wyoming (7-5)
11/20 vs. *Brigham Young (5-6)
1/1 vs. Pittsburgh (8-4)

That's a combined record of 53 wins and 72 losses.

Now, let’s look at some deserving teams who got left out.

Georgia beat the #16 team in a blowout and lost only to UT and Auburn and got stuck with the Outback.

Iowa beat #17 and #20 by a combined total of 50 points while losing to # 19 and #14.

As I said, this is football welfare.

This is why I've been a proponent of a Super Conference.

Dump the NCAA and start a Super Football Conference that eliminates all of the stupid pansy games.

Take the top 6 conferences, expand them all to 12 that aren't already, and let 'em all play one another for OOC games and that would be great football.

Each conference would play 8 conference games and play a rotating OOC schedule that included every team in the Super conference.

At season's end the teams with the best records in each conference would play a conference championship.

Take the 6 winners and place the 4 highest ranked teams on a bye.

Then the 2 lower ranked conference champions and the 6 runners up play a first round play off.

Then the 4 winners play the top 4.

Then a semifinal round

Then the championship.

Level the playing field by limiting the size of the media guide. Puhleaaazzeee!!!

__
__
__
Gettin' off my soap box now.

Originally posted by Orangewhiteblood@Jun 4, 2005 1:38 PM
:question: Great post OldVol!  :thumbsup:
[snapback]100813[/snapback]​

Ideas like this don't stand a chance though. They make too much sense.

:(

Well, I am one of those people who think that Utah got away with a lot. Sure they went undefeated, but come on. They got as much attention from the gimmick of Meyers offense and him running up the score on pitiful teams as they did anything.

They didn't play a good defense all season long. Is it any wonder as to why they had such a potent, high scoring offense? I don't think so. An easy schedule along with touchdowns comes TV time, with TV time comes media attention, with media attention comes a BCS bowl.

Originally posted by Orangewhiteblood@Jun 4, 2005 1:53 PM
Well, I am one of those people who think that Utah got away with a lot.  Sure they went undefeated, but come on.  They got as much attention from the gimmick of Meyers offense and him running up the score on pitiful teams as they did anything.

They didn't play a good defense all season long.  Is it any wonder as to why they had such a potent, high scoring offense?  I don't think so.  An easy schedule along with touchdowns comes TV time, with TV time comes media attention, with media attention comes a BCS bowl.
[snapback]100817[/snapback]​

Yep! The media boys just love having someone to slip that glass slipper on. And they revel in choosing their Cinderella and promoting them all season long.

Just like they hype their Heisman favorites, they choose their darling of the year and push, push, push.

Why didn't they push Boise St? They actually beat a ranked team during the regular season, and they also beat 5 teams that were .500 or better. Utah, on the other hand, only played 4 .500 or better teams with their best opponent only a 7 win team. Boise St. beat a 9/3 # 22 Fresno St. by 17 points.

It's all a big media circus.

Originally posted by Orangewhiteblood@Jun 4, 2005 1:53 PM
Well, I am one of those people who think that Utah got away with a lot.  Sure they went undefeated, but come on.  They got as much attention from the gimmick of Meyers offense and him running up the score on pitiful teams as they did anything.

They didn't play a good defense all season long.  Is it any wonder as to why they had such a potent, high scoring offense?  I don't think so.  An easy schedule along with touchdowns comes TV time, with TV time comes media attention, with media attention comes a BCS bowl.
[snapback]100817[/snapback]​

Thank you, thank you, thamk you! That is exactly why I am not buying in to all of this Urban Meyer hype. Pitt was a joke and in no way a good gauge of how good of a team Utah was. Let him run his offense in a real conference this year and we will see. Good post by the way Oldvol

Originally posted by OldVol@Jun 4, 2005 2:35 PM

They played Pitt (who also had no business being in the big dance, because the Big Easy just got too easy, and that's another topic for another thread) who did not beat a single ranked opponent all year, on top of which, they lost to the worst Nebraska team in the last 50 years, they lost to UConn, for crying out loud, and they also lost to an unranked Syracuse. So, Utah's win over the Panther's proved nothing.

[snapback]100812[/snapback]​

OV if you are playing the loss game dont forget Pitt beat a ND team that beat the Vols at home! :huh:

But I do agree with you that Pitt never should have been in the BCS and in Utahs defense, they did dominate teams with the same talent level as themselves.

Originally posted by NCGatorBait@Jun 4, 2005 2:37 PM
OV if you are playing the loss game dont forget Pitt beat a ND team that beat the Vols at home! :huh:

But I do agree with you that Pitt never should have been in the BCS and in Utahs defense, they did dominate teams with the same talent level as themselves.

[snapback]100830[/snapback]​

ND beat a UT team on a stupid turnover by a third string QB in his first real action, and What team did Utah play that had a #1 overall pick at qb and an NFL ready receiver?

Originally posted by holdemvol@Jun 4, 2005 4:00 PM
ND beat a UT team on a stupid turnover by a third string QB in his first real action, and What team did Utah play that had a #1 overall pick at qb and an NFL ready receiver?
[snapback]100834[/snapback]​

Thats player development for you..Utah hasn't had a class ranked higher than 70.

Originally posted by NCGatorBait@Jun 4, 2005 3:12 PM
BTW A&M had a second rd WR. ;)
[snapback]100839[/snapback]​

Big difference between a #1 overall QB and a second round wr on one opponents team. The point was that they were not playing with the same talent level as the competition last year.

Originally posted by NCGatorBait@Jun 4, 2005 3:06 PM
Thats player development for you..Utah hasn't had a class ranked higher than 70.
[snapback]100835[/snapback]​

If player development was what made Smith the #1 pick then Leak should be the greatest college qb of all time when meyer gets done with him using that philosophy.

Originally posted by holdemvol@Jun 4, 2005 3:00 PM
[snapback]100834[/snapback]​

Ease up now, I wasn't trying to play connect the dots, just pointing out that there were teams that played far tougher schedules, and actually had wins against final top 25 teams, that should have been in the BCS ahead of Utah.

As I said, we'll never know how good Utah really was because they didn't play anyone. But, does anyone really believe Utah could have beaten Georgia, Michigan, or a host of other teams ranked beneath them. I don't think they would have beaten Florida. ;)

It's this whole, "I'm a mid-major, so I deserve a spot in the dance even though I don't play anyone" mentality that just drives me nuts.

The top 4 bowls should be awarded purely to the best teams with the toughest schedules.

The mid-majors can never qualify based on that criteria.

I think Utah deserved SOMETHING for going undefeated. And besides that, putting them against a tougher team than Pitt would have solved the debacle of whether or not the best lower-conference teams can compete with the top guns from the BCS conferences.

Boise State and Utah were the two perfect teams to try and prove that last season. Boise State beat a ranked team (Fresno St.), a team that should have been ranked (Oregon St.), and won the WAC with relative ease. Utah went undefeated in their conference, not only beating but absolutely obliterating all their competition. The Utes never won a game by less than two touchdowns, with talent that was roughly on the same level as the rest of the Mountain West (a fact decidedly ignored for the convenience of many on this board).

While I think that BCS conference teams are more deserving of playing in BCS bowls, barring non-BCS teams based on their schedule is complete and utter s**t. If a team from a non-BCS conference goes undefeated and does so in an exceptional manner, give them a shot for God's sake.

VN Store

Back