Thoughts on new Metallica Album 72 Seasons?

NO SIR EEE

The Sultan Of Swat
I gave it a listen this morning and I admit, I had high hopes off of some of the singles they released before the debut date. I was highly disappointed in the effort. I don't care if they keep touring, but maybe it's time to stop putting out albums. Anyone else have any input?

Reactions: FLVOL_79
It sounds exactly like Hardwired and Death Magnetic. I can appreciate that they are all close to their 60's and can still put out decent music but everything after the black album has just been average.

Reactions: Godfatha and NEO
It sounds exactly like Hardwired and Death Magnetic. I can appreciate that they are all close to their 60's and can still put out decent music but everything after the black album has just been average.
I like those 2 albums, but it’s clear with this one that they are out of ideas. Great live band still, but probably about time to end it.

I like those 2 albums, but it’s clear with this one that they are out of ideas. Great live band still, but probably about time to end it.

Yeah...I agree...I saw them a few years ago and they were great...but they also know what their fans want to hear and you can tell that with their setlist.

I gave it a listen this morning and I admit, I had high hopes off of some of the singles they released before the debut date. I was highly disappointed in the effort. I don't care if they keep touring, but maybe it's time to stop putting out albums. Anyone else have any input?
It is straight up barf!

Honestly, I think it's the best since Load. That's a low bar, but not terrible from dudes 60 years old. There really isn't any recent heavy stuff I dig. The last TOOL album is probably my favorite of the decade. Unfortunately, the era of riff-heavy, melodic bangers has passed.

It's.....Metallica. It's not great, it's not bad. It will be something I listen to a few times then I'll go back to classic Metallica when I want to listen to them. I like it better than the latest Disturbed and Godsmack but that's not saying much because Disturbed's latest is terrible and Godsmack's latest is like their 2018 album, very forgettable.

It's kind of sad, most of my bands are at the "legacy" portion of their career. Most of them keep putting out new music but it's kind of just by the numbers now and it's stuff only diehards will eat up and even then just for a bit. The only exceptions were Tool's latest album I think is awesome and I'm cautiously optimistic about the latest Avenged Sevenfold offering, the first song I like.

This has been this case since St. Anger.

Reactions: NO SIR EEE
After the black album they were tapped and done in my opinion. A few songs after that were good but nothing on level of enter sandman or one.

After the black album they were tapped and done in my opinion. A few songs after that were good but nothing on level of enter sandman or one.
I agree. They poured everything they had into that album and tour and really didn’t have much left in the tank.

Reactions: NEO
I agree. They poured everything they had into that album and tour and really didn’t have much left in the tank.

I think GNR is kind of the same. I didn’t realize that Don’t Cry and other UYI songs were actually written prior to Appetite and held back like the Lies lp. Seems they had an amazing 5 years of production and just ran out of steam which may be why axl imploded the group.

It makes what the Beatles were so much more impressive. They started with Paul writing very poppy stuff and then when he ran out John and George took over and even Ringo threw in a few. It was like multiple genres within the group all of which except Ringo who were great enough to be hall of fame musicians on their own.

Reactions: davethevol
I just finished a full listen yesterday. I love some songs, the rest are decent. Props for them not slowing down at their ages. At the rate they make albums and tour for so long, this is probably their last.

VN Store

Back