Three UT pitchers enter portal

I believe we'll have more go before it's all said and done.
I think we'll see another year where the roster gets reworked in a major way...well, that's my hope anyway. Not saying every starter will be replaced like we had to do this year, but I think we'll see a youth movement that's combined with a major portal presence by the Vols. Just don't see enough dog/fight from some on this team, and I would think changes have to be made. We also have to be better defensively at several positions. Not saying kids can't improve, but at some point, you have to think for some, there's too much working against and maybe change would be a benefit to both program and athlete. Then again I'm just an armchair guy spouting off on a message board so what the hell do I know?

I think we'll see another year where the roster gets reworked in a major way...well, that's my hope anyway. Not saying every starter will be replaced like we had to do this year, but I think we'll see a youth movement that's combined with a major portal presence by the Vols. Just don't see enough dog/fight from some on this team, and I would think changes have to be made. We also have to be better defensively at several positions. Not saying kids can't improve, but at some point, you have to think for some, there's too much working against and maybe change would be a benefit to both program and athlete. Then again I'm just an armchair guy spouting off on a message board so what the hell do I know?

Transfer portal has definitely changed things. If you get a bunch of guys that don't win you can, maybe must, fold and take another deal. Traditional thinking would make this crazy but not sure you can give guys much time to "get better" in todays college baseball world. I would hope their is still some room for development and giving guys a little time to get better. Attitude is a different animal that should not be a problem at this level.

On the plus side, I don't think we have to worry about too many guys going to the MLB.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
And as for this or all others,,, this is still a school - - do schools have no control who comes and who has what qualifications to be a part of their institution?? Wonder when or if guys transferring have to pass a physical of some sort before a school will except them as a transfer. (like the pros do, real pros that is) Do schools/programs have any sort of educational/IQ level the school requires of the athletics?

The answer to the questions is no unless there is a concern on physical part, IQ not unless they do not have the hours to transfer or grades but again that can be solved, I'm convinced. The player may lose credits in the transfer and may have to change majors. I'm not sure most transfer with an education in mind. It is all about ball.

Transfer portal has definitely changed things. If you get a bunch of guys that don't win you can, maybe must, fold and take another deal. Traditional thinking would make this crazy but not sure you can give guys much time to "get better" in todays college baseball world. I would hope their is still some room for development and giving guys a little time to get better. Attitude is a different animal that should not be a problem at this level.

On the plus side, I don't think we have to worry about too many guys going to the MLB.
As you pointed out, it's the attitude, fight, dog, work ethic, will to win, etc...that you either have or you don't. At this level, there's talent across the board. What we seem to be missing with some is that intangible "edge". I'm hoping our recruiting has given us some guys that can step up next year, but some of our needs are more immediate so the portal will likely be key again. Always a bit leery about "hired guns" and the impact on chemistry, but we really have no choice. Just can't stand pat IMO.

We now have two types of scouting at Owls games. We once only had MLB scouts, but now we also have college coaches looking at guys who may be interested in transferring. It started two years ago with college coaches, but was very quiet at the time. This year it is not quiet at all- I already know a mid major HC and at least one assistant are coming.

We now have two types of scouting at Owls games. We once only had MLB scouts, but now we also have college coaches looking at guys who may be interested in transferring. It started two years ago with college coaches, but was very quiet at the time. This year it is not quiet at all- I already know a mid major HC and at least one assistant are coming.

Of course, it's talent or potential talent over everything but it makes me wonder.

What does a pro scout want?
A guy that bounced around and has questionable development.
B. A guy that stuck with his team but maybe didn't develop as much.
C. A h.s. kid that they can develop in the farm system.

Until covid, seemed like almost always option C.

Of course, it's talent or potential talent over everything but it makes me wonder.

B or C. Pros all believe they can coach up talent. They always think they are superior talent developers.

Looks like Galanie at Wofford might be on TN’s radar. I so wish the transfer portal didn’t open until after CWS was completed. The postseason teams are at a tremendous disadvantage and it’s an unneeded distraction. See Ahuna visit during last year’s Supers.

“Perhaps chief among them is SoCon player of the year Ryan Galanie from Wofford. The outfielder batted .383/.491/.670 with 17 home runs and 19 stolen bases this season. He will have multiple suitors, and look for Tennessee to be among them.“
Source: D1 Baseball

Wait until the season is over....they will flood the portal from UT.

More will leave and don't be surprised if Elander leaves as well. Plenty of coaching openings....UCF, Cincy, 'bama, Georgia, other? And oh, who follows Elander? There's plenty of good players at UT that just aren't getting the opportunity. They'll hit the portal. But in return, Vitello will pickup in the portal.

There are 20 pitchers over there and he basically throws 8 guys. That leaves 12 on the bench. And it's a shame that there are people dogging the ones that are leaving. Pitchers need to pitch regularly, weekly, not occasionally or not sporadically. Same with the position players. Somebody leaves and it's like they're not loyal to UT when all they want to do is play baseball. If they can't do it here, they'll do it elsewhere. Just like Elander...

Last edited:

Scouts are looking for a number of things such as projectability for the young ones (HS), they want to make sure the ones in college haven't flat lined - they want to see that there is more to come and they're trending up, and they want to see how a player reacts under adverse situations. As far as B, sticking with a team...they could care less.

I will agree before any starting or part-time players potentially hit the portal. If you are not happy with your situation, whether that is NIL money, playing time, pitching opportunities, or whatever else. They should not be trashed for making a choice for them, whether we think it is a good choice or not. I'm sure some will leave that will surprise us but I don't think is free game to go after them. If mine a freshman or sophomore and had not gotten the opportunities, I would probably advise moving on. If you have not played by sophomore year, the chances to get in with portal gets tough. I encourage every college bound player to have plan A, B and maybe C. Don't burn bridges because you never know when you will need to take that bridge even headed in a different direction.
I think Elander's current salary will keep him at UT unless someone pays up greatly. There are some neat opportunities for moving up coaches but their salaries are not that great, even the SEC ones unless they increase them.

B and C would probably be what pro scouts are looking for.

I will agree before any starting or part-time players potentially hit the portal. If you are not happy with your situation, whether that is NIL money, playing time, pitching opportunities, or whatever else. They should not be trashed for making a choice for them, whether we think it is a good choice or not. I'm sure some will leave that will surprise us but I don't think is free game to go after them. If mine a freshman or sophomore and had not gotten the opportunities, I would probably advise moving on. If you have not played by sophomore year, the chances to get in with portal gets tough. I encourage every college bound player to have plan A, B and maybe C. Don't burn bridges because you never know when you will need to take that bridge even headed in a different direction.
I think Elander's current salary will keep him at UT unless someone pays up greatly. There are some neat opportunities for moving up coaches but their salaries are not that great, even the SEC ones unless they increase them.

I reckon there are two schools of thought…Stick it out, wait your turn, it will all come out in the wash.

Or…

Let’s see what’s out there, maybe I can find a better fit. Either way, it should be up to the player and his family. Life is too short. After a year or two in the program, these kids know what’s up at the highest level of college ball, I don’t have to like it but I do have to respect ‘em, and I do, I’d tell my son to proceed with caution, but do what you think is best. Big boys gotta make big boy decisions. I got no problem with them doing so.

VN Store

Back