Tides Croyle Ready To Go

BeltwayVol

Alabama quarterback Brodie Croyle laughed Thursday when jokingly asked to address recent Internet rumors that he was injured during a summer hunting trip.

"I'm back safe and sound. I wasn't run over, shot at or kidnapped," Croyle said. "So I'm good to go."

Given Croyle's importance to the team and the upcoming season, Crimson Tide fans will take every assurance they can get about their senior quarterback's health.

Croyle, one of several Alabama players to address the media on Thursday afternoon, said he is fully healthy after suffering a season-ending knee injury three games into the 2004 season.

Croyle had passed for 534 yards, six touchdowns and no interceptions before the injury and has been going through summer work without a knee brace.

"I hadn't thought about it," Croyle said. "I've been running wide open, taking my drops and doing everything. It's been the least of my worries. I plan on playing the season without (the brace) and hopefully it's just a past memory."

Croyle said Alabama's young receiving corps -- one that includes gifted sophomores Ezekial Knight, Keith Brown, Matt Caddell and D.J. Hall as well as junior leader Tyrone Prothro -- has matured in the offseason and should thrive in the fall.

"They've really stepped up and worked harder than any group I've seen since I've been here," Croyle said. "They definitely have the talent. We're looking for a big year from them. We're counting on them and if summer workouts mean anything, they've really stepped up to the plate."

Just as encouraging for Alabama's Southeastern Conference championship hopes, Croyle said running back Ken Darby has looked like his old self during voluntary, non-contact drills.

"He's been out there working on play fakes and handoffs and all that," Croyle said. "He looks as good if not better than he ever has. We'll all probably see the same Ken Darby if not a better one this year."

Darby, who replaced Ray Hudson midway through last season after Hudson suffered a season-ending knee injury, rushed for 1,062 yards on 219 carries before suffering an injury in a November loss at LSU. Darby played sparingly one week later in the loss to Auburn and in the Tide's Music City Bowl loss to Minnesota on New Year's Eve.

Darby's injuries, which included a hairline fracture of his pelvis, eventually required offseason hernia surgery.

On Thursday, Darby bragged about his improved physique -- he's up to 212 pounds of "positive weight, not fat-boy weight" -- and said he expects to be full-speed when Alabama opens fall camp next month and on the field when Middle Tennessee and the Crimson Tide open the season on Sept. 3 at Bryant-Denny Stadium.

"There really is no doubt in my mind," Darby said. "I've been running hard, doing certain things that I'll probably do on the field with the pads on. The only thing that's missing is I'm not dragging anybody or breaking tackles. I'm thinking that my base and my lower abs have gotten pretty strong. I'm kind of anxious to get out there myself and see how I really feel when I break out of a tackle or do a certain move in the hole.

"(Alabama's medical staff) think I'm doing pretty well. I've been doing good throughout the offseason rehab. They cleared me to work out with the team. I guess they gave me the 100 percent full-go. I have to check in with them every day after I get through working out or running and let them know how I'm feeling. There's no pain, just a little soreness. But that's part of it. I don't think I'm 100 percent, but I'm almost there."

Like Croyle, Darby said he can't wait for an opportunity to get back onto the field and pick up where he left off a year ago.

"That saddened me," Darby said, referring to missing most of the Tide's final two games. "That really motivated me. My goal is and it's my plan to come in and do everything I did last year, but better."

Darby said fellow running back Tim Castille, who underwent knee reconstruction after an October loss at Tennessee, also appears to be on schedule to play this fall.

"Tim looks pretty good," Darby said. "I think he'll be all right for this upcoming season. From just watching him run, I think he'll be all right. I don't really have any doubts about him."

Junior defensive tackle Jeremy Clark, a Daphne native, had minor knee surgery in February and said Thursday he's set for the upcoming season.

"My knee is practically 100 percent," Clark said. "I had a little procedure done in February, but I don't have any problems with my knee. I'm perfectly fine."

With Alabama seemingly healthy, expectations in and around the program are as high as they've been during the Mike Shula era. Most publications are picking LSU to win the SEC West, but many tab Alabama as a sleeper if the Tide can avoid injuries. The increased respect, however, isn't changing the way Alabama players are going through the summer or approaching the fall.

"We always tell the guys to stay out of the newspapers and magazines because that's not going to get us where we need to go," linebacker Demeco Ryans said. "Hard work is going to get us there."

"It doesn't change anything," said former Baldwin County standout Wallace Gilberry, a defensive end who has gained 15 pounds since last season to bulk up to 265. "We have the same mindset we had last year -- being the best in the nation. The accolades are great, and something to strive for, but as a defensive unit we want to be the best."

Croyle isn't worried about media expectations. He wants a championship to cement his Alabama legacy. He's suffered shoulder and knee injuries and has endured some embarrassing coaching changes and on-field losses. A ring would give him something to point to when his career ends after this season.

"Our senior class, we haven't won a ring and we don't want to be that class that came through here and doesn't have a ring to show for it," Croyle said. "Our group of seniors, we have something extra to play for."

Originally posted by GOT TWELVE?@Jul 23, 2005 1:16 AM
:cross:
[snapback]117176[/snapback]​

He can take a pounding, not that it helps Bama if he's slowed by hit after hit. But i'll give the guy a :thumbsup:
We Vol fans have seen this guy scoop himself up play after play.
May not be the smartest QB going, But he's got some grit.

he is very good. alabama will be a tough game. they have a great defense and croyle is good.

If we have to go up against a healthy Croyle, I think we lose. I really think he is that good.

Originally posted by vols2345@Jul 23, 2005 7:50 AM
If we have to go up against a healthy Croyle,  I think we lose.  I really think he is that good.
[snapback]117191[/snapback]​

:huh: Where in the heck did that come from?? Croyle is a good QB, but no way he's good enough to beat us singlehandedly.

I don't think that is what I meant. I mean that if he is there I think they will win. They might have beaten us last year if he was playing. Its amazing how much he means to Bama. he is the part of the alabama offense that can spark them to scoring alot of points. If he is not there I think we win, if he is injured, I am not sure.

i would take ainge over croyle. i was just saying that it will be a tough game 2345.

Yeah Maybe I do need to go back to sleep................. I dont know what the hell I was thinking.....

Croyle is a big part of their offense but he's not good enough to beat us....That team meshes when he's out there on the field with them but when he has a bad game that whole team has a bad game...Which happens OFTEN....I ain't really worried about Bama

Originally posted by vols2345@Jul 23, 2005 7:50 AM
If we have to go up against a healthy Croyle,  I think we lose.  I really think he is that good.

Just say no!

Bama will be tough. I'll just say we're lucky we got to face their, what, 3rd string offense? last season.

They will be back with one of the toughest defenses in the country this season. I think we can pull it out but I think the challenge will be on the same level as LSU and Florida.

dont worry about Croyle he'll get hurt again before we play bama

although he is good when he is healthy

Quit hateing on Beltway liking Johnathan Crompton. What is wrong with that? At least he knows talent when he sees it huh?

What's the deal with hating on me and JC? Why dont you learn the other 5 Maxims, THEN come back at me with something stronger.

Originally posted by vols2345@Jul 23, 2005 6:50 AM

Croyle is definitely a good QB and the Bama game will be tough as ever. However, I disagree with your assessment.

I think the key for Bama this year will be their O-line. When Croyle went down last year, they survived with a bruising, time eating running game. They are thinner at running positions (Darby back but he backed up Hudson for a lot of last year - who will back up Darby, Castille is a ? and may be red-shirted). Last year's line was senior dominated. This year's line is young and thin. We all know about key injuries on the O-line. If the O-line is not dominant, Croyle will be hit often (drop-back passer) and the running game will not be as dominant.

While I agree their D will be strong, I don't think it will be as strong as last year either. Bama only had 3 games last year when they didn't have a time of possession advantage (all three were losses). For the other 8 games, they averaged a 7:30 minute possession advantage! (7:52 in the UT game). Much of this TOP advantage can be attributed to the running game - time to rest the D and fewer possessions to D against.

The 2003 D was not all that great, 2004 D was great, 2005? Same coach (Kines) and fewer players (effect of probation is peaking).

This has been another installment of inside the numbers by Volinbham. :p

Originally posted by BeltwayVol@Jul 23, 2005 8:21 PM
What's the deal with hating on me and JC?  Why dont you learn the other 5 Maxims, THEN come back at me with something stronger.
[snapback]117316[/snapback]​

Weak. Go worship your JC poster, and then come back with something stronger.

;)

If Croyle stays healthy and starts all season I see the Tide going 9-2 or maybe even 10-1. Without Croyle I see Bama going 7-4. Bama plays Florida and Tennessee at home, but has to travel to Auburn.

Originally posted by King of Crimson@Jul 25, 2005 1:56 PM
If Croyle stays healthy and starts all season I see the Tide going 9-2 or maybe even 10-1. Without Croyle I see Bama going 7-4. Bama plays Florida and Tennessee at home, but has to travel to Auburn.
[snapback]118089[/snapback]​

You are of course entitled to your opinion King, but even with Brodie it's going to be tough for Bama to beat LSU, FLA, TN, and AUB. I just don't think they have enough depth yet to win against those teams in the 4th quarter, and the three new pieces on the O-line are very young (soph., freshman, freshman), which doesn't help when trying to keep your QB healthy all season.

Their defense is very, very good, and so are Croyle and Darby when healthy, but I respectfully disagree with you and think the Tide is still a couple of seasons away from another 9-2 or 10-1 type season.

VN Store

Back