Timeline of NIL - 2009 to Now + Nico Timeline

Tman44

God Father of Soul
Today we are all talking about UT and the Tennessee and Virginia Attorneys General suit against the NCAA. It seems that there are many people on the message board that don't have an understanding of how we got to this point. I will lay out a brief timeline of NIL, I will also link the entire timeline, I hope this helps.

• 2009 – Former UCLA basketball standout Ed O’Bannon was a plaintiff in a class action against the NCAA. O’Bannon and the other plaintiffs claimed an EA Sports video basketball game used their likenesses without consent or compensation.
  • 2019 – California became the first state to pass NIL legislation in the “Fair Pay to Play Act” which prohibited the NCAA or member schools from punishing student-athletes who earn NIL compensation. The new measure was set for enactment in 2023.
  • 2020 – Colorado, Florida, Nebraska, New Jersey and several other states pass laws permitting college student athletes to monetize their NIL. These new regulations are scheduled for enactment in 2022 and 2023.
  • 2020 – The National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) passed regulations allowing NIL compensation for its student athletes. The NAIA regulates collegiate athletics at 252 member institutions who field 77,000 student athletes in 27 sports.
  • 2021 – In NCAA vs. Alston, the U.S. Supreme Court rejected an NCAA appeal of its antitrust lawsuit, finalizing the lower court decision that the NCAA is not exempt from antitrust regulations. This ruling opened the floodgates for additional academic-related compensation and led to the NCAA’s ultimate decision to quickly adopt an Interim NIL Policy that allowed, for the first time, student-athletes to benefit financially from their name, image, and likeness without fear of NCAA penalty.
  • 2022 – The NCAA Board of Directors issued NIL guidance to member schools which reinforced the prohibition of any recruiting incentives offered to student-athletes linked to potential NIL arrangements.
This is very important. The Nico Iamaleava recruitment and signing took place BEFORE the 2022 NCAA guidance was issued. Nico signed in March 2022. NCAA provided regulations in October of 2022. Simply, the NCAA is wrong to look into the Iamaleava recruitment due to no prior rules.

Secondly, the Attorneys General's suit is not about the Iamaleava investigation. The lawsuit refers to the NCAA violating the Sherman Anti-Trust act by not allowing athletes to fully enjoy their NIL rights. The suit claims the NCAA should have no regulation whatsoever on an individuals right to earn, in this case an NIL agreement. I hope this helps explain how we found ourselves in this position today.

Last edited:
Alabama is no doubt behind this investigation and maybe Georgia as well.
Why because they along with every other college have broken the rules as well! NCAA is trying to enforce rules that have no foundation to begin with. There is no chance in hell they can win this lawsuit when their response to Chancellor Plowman was, “well you attended the meetings “! What a bunch of idiots!!!

Reactions: Smokey19rt
What's even crazier? The NCAA released a memo stating they could retroactively enforce rules that were not yet in existence. If new rules or guidance came that stated we violated these new rules in our recruitment of Nico, according to their statement, we could be investigated and receive potential punishment. That was part of what made the administration so mad. How can you enforce rules that were yet to be established?

Reactions: malinoisvol
What's even crazier? The NCAA released a memo stating they could retroactively enforce rules that were not yet in existence. If new rules or guidance came that stated we violated these new rules in our recruitment of Nico, according to their statement, we could be investigated and receive potential punishment. That was part of what made the administration so mad. How can you enforce rules that were yet to be established?
By that logic they could retroactively ounish every single program in the country. I am 100% confident this will not go well in court for the NCAA. I am not sure what is actually in writing and agreed upon by the member schools, but I cannot fathom any attorney agreeing to a provision that says "we can chnge the rules and them slam you for stuff you did prior to the rule change that was actually legal at the time."

Reactions: Jimmyandjoes
Today we are all talking about UT and the Tennessee and Virginia Attorneys General suit against the NCAA. It seems that there are many people on the message board that don't have an understanding of how we got to this point. I will lay out a brief timeline of NIL, I will also link the entire timeline, I hope this helps.

• 2009 – Former UCLA basketball standout Ed O’Bannon was a plaintiff in a class action against the NCAA. O’Bannon and the other plaintiffs claimed an EA Sports video basketball game used their likenesses without consent or compensation.
  • 2019 – California became the first state to pass NIL legislation in the “Fair Pay to Play Act” which prohibited the NCAA or member schools from punishing student-athletes who earn NIL compensation. The new measure was set for enactment in 2023.
  • 2020 – Colorado, Florida, Nebraska, New Jersey and several other states pass laws permitting college student athletes to monetize their NIL. These new regulations are scheduled for enactment in 2022 and 2023.
  • 2020 – The National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) passed regulations allowing NIL compensation for its student athletes. The NAIA regulates collegiate athletics at 252 member institutions who field 77,000 student athletes in 27 sports.
  • 2021 – In NCAA vs. Alston, the U.S. Supreme Court rejected an NCAA appeal of its antitrust lawsuit, finalizing the lower court decision that the NCAA is not exempt from antitrust regulations. This ruling opened the floodgates for additional academic-related compensation and led to the NCAA’s ultimate decision to quickly adopt an Interim NIL Policy that allowed, for the first time, student-athletes to benefit financially from their name, image, and likeness without fear of NCAA penalty.
  • 2022 – The NCAA Board of Directors issued NIL guidance to member schools which reinforced the prohibition of any recruiting incentives offered to student-athletes linked to potential NIL arrangements.
This is very important. The Nico Iamaleava recruitment and signing took place BEFORE the 2022 NCAA guidance was issued. Nico signed in March 2022. NCAA provided regulations in October of 2022. Simply, the NCAA is wrong to look into the Iamaleava recruitment due to no prior rules.

Secondly, the Attorneys General's suit is not about the Iamaleava investigation. The lawsuit refers to the NCAA violating the Sherman Anti-Trust act by not allowing athletes to fully enjoy their NIL rights. The suit claims the NCAA should have no regulation whatsoever on an individuals right to earn, in this case an NIL agreement. I hope this helps explain how we found ourselves in this position today.

So we’re about to see the implementation of the “Nico law!”

VN Store

Back