TNHopeful505's Postgame Thoughts

TNHopeful505

My thoughts:

1. Even if the allegations this week somehow managed to erase the past three years from the record books, it's obvious that Dooley's work (or lack thereof) here at Tennessee will be seen for at least one more season. As a friend said, this was not an issue of X's and O's, but Jimmy's and Joe's. We just didn't have the horses to run the race.

2. Stability is what you see when you look at Oregon. They've been running that system for a long time now, and keeping the HC from within the system only helps that. They know the exact kind of players they need, and they just plug in a player when another graduates or goes pro. It's a SYSTEM, and a system functions best with stability. We have nothing even close to stability right now. Take Marlon Walls: Recruited by Fulmer, signed with Kiffin, played for Dooley and now Butch. Not to mention Monte, Wilcox, Sal and now Jancek as D-Coordinator. Four different regimes, four different systems, four different playcall terminologies. How do you expect to be successful with that junk?

3. Worley tries. He really does. But he just doesn't have the arm strength to make it happen. So many short passes, so many in the dirt, so many that just didn't get there. It was just disappointing to see. I really think that he has the leadership qualities, but he doesn't have the physical tools to do it. Not to mention, he can't get yards with his legs. We need a QB that can pick up 2-3 yards when there's nothing there. I don't believe in him to do that, and apparently the staff doesn't either. There's not a team in college football that is successful that doesn't have a QB that can't make plays when needed. We don't have that right now seemingly.

3. Defense started out well, and did well. But still too many missed tackles, and still too little patience. Coleman got burnt because he bit at the screen on that one touchdown. Not enough patience to wait and see where the ball was going. Too eager to make the hit. That's something that a good defense has to do is have the patience, especially with a team like Oregon.

4. Palardy had a busy night. Hated that we punted so much. Wanted to see some more guts from the coaches, but he had some good punts. Honestly thought he'd get to try a field goal this week, but we just sucked that bad.

5. Another QB had another career day. A lot of QB's should thank us. If Mariota wins the Heisman, I think he should at least give us part of it.

6. Croom got redemption today with his TD catch. Josh Smith had more negatives than he did positives, but he's going to keep getting better. The receivers didn't help Worley too much, but they have the excuse of being young. Worley doesn't. Losing Pig, Johnson and Young hurt too.

7. I like Vincent Dallas as the return man. I think he's done a good job so far. Still not sure what the heck Jacob Carter is doing on PR.

8. I said that one thing I hope we did was force them to beat us through the air. They did. We only allowed 216 rushing yards on 41 carries. That's 5.1 yards a carry. They got 350 yards on 40 carries against Virginia and 500 on 45 carries at Nicholls State. So, we DID accomplish slowing them down on the run. We won't see a passing game like that again in the SEC.

9. We CANNOT cover the middle. If I was to look at a passing chart, I'm positive that 90% of their big plays came over the middle. If that's not fixed, look for plenty a WR and TE to have big games against us. 456 yards in passing by one player should never happen.

10. Hats off to Oregon. I am perfectly fine with admitting we got beat by one of the best teams in the country. I'm pretty sure that the way they play football, they will be in the National Championship game, barring a fluke. They are incredibly talented, incredibly fast, and didn't make many mistakes at all. A team like that deserves to win. They know what they're doing, and they do it well. No shame in losing to a team like that. There is shame in giving up, and there is shame in being undisciplined and impatient as we were at times. But I trust the coaches will correct that.

This is a good learning experience for our boys, because Butch will be able to say "You see what you lined up against today? That's what I want this program to be." Multiple players catching the ball, multiple players running the ball, misdirection, read option, multiple threats. I loved the fact that Mariota would throw it, and as soon as it left his hand he would be looking to the sideline for the next play. They wasted no time. They got to the line quick, and played quick, and scored quick.

That's why Butch is focusing hard on building depth at defense, and getting guys who can make plays in space. That's what we saw today. Playmakers who played fast, a very in shape, speedy defense, and a Tennessee team that just isn't there yet.

But I'm proud, I love my Vols, and I know better days are ahead. And yes, I still completely and totally support Butch Jones.

Reactions: 13 people
Florida has a mobile qb and will pass over the middle the entire game. I bet we unfortunately won't fix it so they will have similar scores and to make matters worse verne lundquist is doing the game. we can still beat them if we can execute on offense and come up more plays to run.

IF we can get some solid QB play through the air then we can still have a good season. We left a lot of good pass plays on the field again today thanks to Worley's poor....EVERYTHING. I think he simply over thinks all passes...and in turn waits that half a second to late to make the throw....then he throws it behind...in the dirt...over the WR's head 10 ft. North has got to be frustrated right now too...he has all the big play ability we could ask for and simply can't get a shot to show it. I still think we have the horses to give the other SEC East teams a fit......IF we can get some solid QB play.

Florida has a mobile qb and will pass over the middle the entire game. I bet we unfortunately won't fix it so they will have similar scores and to make matters worse verne lundquist is doing the game. we can still beat them if we can execute on offense and come up more plays to run.

We stopped the run well, even without Couch (better get used to that). Just gotta stop the passing game across the middle. Gotta work on it. Maybe put Brewer in more situations across the middle. Not sure.

Well said. Worley tries hard but just doesn't have it. The thing that really sticks out is that he has no chemistry with any wr. He is very indecisive and that killed us on off today.

The game plan was a head scratcher too. When Oregon's off got rolling we took no risks on their side of the 50.

CBJ will earn his money this week. It will be interesting to see what happens in practice and next week in Gainesville.
GO VOLS!

IF we can get some solid QB play through the air then we can still have a good season. We left a lot of good pass plays on the field again today thanks to Worley's poor....EVERYTHING. I think he simply over thinks all passes...and in turn waits that half a second to late to make the throw....then he throws it behind...in the dirt...over the WR's head 10 ft. North has got to be frustrated right now too...he has all the big play ability we could ask for and simply can't get a shot to show it. I still think we have the horses to give the other SEC East teams a fit......IF we can get some solid QB play.

Agree 100% with this. North's body language today backs this up

Well said. Worley tries hard but just doesn't have it. The thing that really sticks out is that he has no chemistry with any wr. He is very indecisive and that killed us on off today.

The game plan was a head scratcher too. When Oregon's off got rolling we took no risks on their side of the 50.

CBJ will earn his money this week. It will be interesting to see what happens in practice and next week in Gainesville.
GO VOLS!

That bugged me. We knew they weren't going to slow down, nor turn the ball over. We had to keep the offense off the field, and butch didn't try to do that at all. We should have gotten some 4th down conversions. But what's done is done.

Remember Dooley could not recruit any speed at DE and OLB... Except for Maggitt for 3 years... It was on display today

this is what bothers me the most

9. We CANNOT cover the middle. If I was to look at a passing chart, I'm positive that 90% of their big plays came over the middle. If that's not fixed, look for plenty a WR and TE to have big games against us. 456 yards in passing by one player should never happen.

i'm assuming this is because of the coverage called ? or is it blown assignments like last year ?

My thoughts:

1. Even if the allegations this week somehow managed to erase the past three years from the record books, it's obvious that Dooley's work (or lack thereof) here at Tennessee will be seen for at least one more season. As a friend said, this was not an issue of X's and O's, but Jimmy's and Joe's. We just didn't have the horses to run the race.

2. Stability is what you see when you look at Oregon. They've been running that system for a long time now, and keeping the HC from within the system only helps that. They know the exact kind of players they need, and they just plug in a player when another graduates or goes pro. It's a SYSTEM, and a system functions best with stability. We have nothing even close to stability right now. Take Marlon Walls: Recruited by Fulmer, signed with Kiffin, played for Dooley and now Butch. Not to mention Monte, Wilcox, Sal and now Jancek as D-Coordinator. Four different regimes, four different systems, four different playcall terminologies. How do you expect to be successful with that junk?

3. Worley tries. He really does. But he just doesn't have the arm strength to make it happen. So many short passes, so many in the dirt, so many that just didn't get there. It was just disappointing to see. I really think that he has the leadership qualities, but he doesn't have the physical tools to do it. Not to mention, he can't get yards with his legs. We need a QB that can pick up 2-3 yards when there's nothing there. I don't believe in him to do that, and apparently the staff doesn't either. There's not a team in college football that is successful that doesn't have a QB that can't make plays when needed. We don't have that right now seemingly.

3. Defense started out well, and did well. But still too many missed tackles, and still too little patience. Coleman got burnt because he bit at the screen on that one touchdown. Not enough patience to wait and see where the ball was going. Too eager to make the hit. That's something that a good defense has to do is have the patience, especially with a team like Oregon.

4. Palardy had a busy night. Hated that we punted so much. Wanted to see some more guts from the coaches, but he had some good punts. Honestly thought he'd get to try a field goal this week, but we just sucked that bad.

5. Another QB had another career day. A lot of QB's should thank us. If Mariota wins the Heisman, I think he should at least give us part of it.

6. Croom got redemption today with his TD catch. Josh Smith had more negatives than he did positives, but he's going to keep getting better. The receivers didn't help Worley too much, but they have the excuse of being young. Worley doesn't. Losing Pig, Johnson and Young hurt too.

7. I like Vincent Dallas as the return man. I think he's done a good job so far. Still not sure what the heck Jacob Carter is doing on PR.

8. I said that one thing I hope we did was force them to beat us through the air. They did. We only allowed 216 rushing yards on 41 carries. That's 5.1 yards a carry. They got 350 yards on 40 carries against Virginia and 500 on 45 carries at Nicholls State. So, we DID accomplish slowing them down on the run. We won't see a passing game like that again in the SEC.

10. Hats off to Oregon. I am perfectly fine with admitting we got beat by one of the best teams in the country. I'm pretty sure that the way they play football, they will be in the National Championship game, barring a fluke. They are incredibly talented, incredibly fast, and didn't make many mistakes at all. A team like that deserves to win. They know what they're doing, and they do it well. No shame in losing to a team like that. There is shame in giving up, and there is shame in being undisciplined and impatient as we were at times. But I trust the coaches will correct that.

This is a good learning experience for our boys, because Butch will be able to say "You see what you lined up against today? That's what I want this program to be." Multiple players catching the ball, multiple players running the ball, misdirection, read option, multiple threats. I loved the fact that Mariota would throw it, and as soon as it left his hand he would be looking to the sideline for the next play. They wasted no time. They got to the line quick, and played quick, and scored quick.

That's why Butch is focusing hard on building depth at defense, and getting guys who can make plays in space. That's what we saw today. Playmakers who played fast, a very in shape, speedy defense, and a Tennessee team that just isn't there yet.

But I'm proud, I love my Vols, and I know better days are ahead. And yes, I still completely and totally support Butch Jones.

Against teams like us they always look unbeatable, but against good teams like Stanford they look ordinary.

Thanks all. I think it's obvious that our team speed was lacking in just about every position.

Also, I think we can all agree that Oregon is a prime example of why special teams is so crucial to the game. Their return men were just incredible, and superior blocking on the returns.

VN Store

Back