To those of you who feel a need for clockball

vtvol98

my $.02 as well...
I hope you folks who have been saying that Tennessee needs to play a running, ball-control style of offense to keep Oregon off the field and give the Vols their best chance of winning, I say that argument is flawed.

Oregon is 3rd to last in the FBS in time of possession yet they average 70 snaps per game and average 62.5 points per game.

College Football Stats - College FB Team Average Time of Possession (Excluding OT) on TeamRankings.com

Tennessee Volunteers coach Butch Jones: Oregon Ducks "as good as advertised" - ESPN

"Oregon has averaged 70 snaps while maintaining possession for just over 20½ minutes per game. Toledo is the only Football Bowl Subdivision program that ranks behind Oregon in time of possession. The Ducks are gaining an astounding 9.5 yards per play."

It's all about stopping the big plays and force them to grind IMO. Tennessee needs to up-tempo back when they're on offense.

The longer we have the ball, the less they can hurt us. I don't see how this could be flawed. jmo

Reactions: 3 people
I agree with one thing. We have to keep the big plays to a minumim. Big plays killed Virigina saturday the ducks team speed was to much for the Cavs. I just hope we can keep it close. Oregon may very well be the NC this year they have all the right pieces to do it. Imn just tired of watching Bama win it every year. I know that it looks good for our confrence but I hate bama. Lol

Reactions: 3 people
Its like the patriots said about Peyton when he was with the colts . He can't beat us if he's not on the field. Seems simple to me keep there offense off the field (if we can ) don't turn the ball over an we ve got a shot .

Lol. That does not make the idea flawed. You want the ball more no matter who you play.

THE BALL is what the game is centered around.

Lol.

Watch their 2010 w/Auburn game and you will see how to beat the Ducks. The Barn shut down their run game and force them to beat then with the pass.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
2 fast paced teams means possessions could be around 85. I say don't try to change the identity Butch has said we are regardless of who is on opposite side. That could possibly send a message to Oregon that Dooley is gone and the days of kicking fgs down 31 in the 4th are over. We are giving our best shot not just trying to stay within Vegas betting lines.

Reactions: 2 people
Could it be more about effective possessions rather than time of possession? What about points per possession?

Last edited:
I say its like the old analogy in basketball teams that press don't like to be pressed. Maybe teams that go fast don't want to play teams that go fast. It won't be a 4th quarter surprise for either team as both have conditioned all off season for that approach.

I know this might be stupid but I would like to see us play a 3-3-5 def with an extra safety.

Even playing that inpenetrable Nichols State defense in the opener couldn't slow them down. We dooommmmeeeddd.

Reactions: 1 person
1. The OL has got to get a big enough push to get the RBs about 3-4 yards a play. Big plays are great if they come, but keeping the ball from Oregon by letting the clock bleed little by little is more painful.

2. The DL and LBs have got to fill the gaps and stop their running game. Force them to throw the ball. Our DBs aren't great, but if our DL can get enough pressure, you might can get some bad throws or some possible turnovers. Our DBs should have a ton of confidence this week.

3. Justin Worley has got to be more accurate and efficient than ever. If a pass play is called, he needs to complete the pass right on target. We don't necessarily need the big play down the field, but he needs to be able to hit a guy like Josh Smith on a 5 yard route in order to keep the D on their heels. Play action will be important in this game.

4. Oregon is going to score. They're averaging 9.5 yards a PLAY. This will not in any way be a shutout. But if they're going to score, we have to slow them down to do it. If we have the ball, they can't score. But if they have the ball longer than they normally do, then they can't score as much. If they have the ball for 5 minutes, they can't score for 5 minutes. It works both ways. If we can make them have to take the slow road, and bleed the clock by short plays, then that's a victory there too.

5. EVERY offensive possession has to count. There can be ZERO turnovers, and no more than 1-2 punts the whole game, IMO. If we have just one turnover that they capitalize on, I feel like that will be the difference in the game.

In a nutshell, it comes down to this:

Make them work for every yard and score they get, and don't give them ANYTHING to work with. The clock, the field position, the momentum have to all be kept in our control. If you lose control to an Oregon team, you've lost the game.

I think we can do it. But we will see how much discipline this team truly has, and how much mental conditioning they have.

Reactions: 1 person
Watch their 2010 w/Auburn game and you will see how to beat the Ducks. The Barn shut down their run game and force them to beat then with the pass.

And that Auburn defense had its share of problems stopping people early in the year as well. I was surprised they were able to hold them down as much as they did.

i know im not general neyland but i am pretty sure not giving up big plays is always a goal of the defense...and them having so little possession is because they are scoring in ~1 minute.

personally i think if we are going to have a shot at winning this game we will have a TOP of about 45 minutes because we are sustaining long grinding drives and their offense is getting off of the field quickly...hopefully they get off the field quickly due to 3 & outs and not 80 yard touchdowns...

VN Store

Back