Trip to Athens - Recommendations

govols1993

Me and my brother are trying to go to all the SEC stadiums. This year we’re making the trip to Athens for the first time! We’ll be staying 15 minutes east of the stadium. We’ll be arriving Friday night. Looking for all recommendations… should we tailgate somewhere before or Uber to the game? Where do all the UT fans gather down there? Open to all recommendations. Thanks and Go Vols!

It's been at least 10 years since I attended a UT game there but I would say be prepared for a lot of this:

I went to Athens a couple of times during the Manning yrs.

Their fans gave us a hard time but I was only 24-26 yrs old. I’ve been told their fans are much worse since Kirby’s arrival.

Reactions: JohnWardForever
I went two years ago when we were undefeated with Hooker/Hyatt and gang. First, there is NO alcohol sold in the stadium unless that has changed. Second, fans were Ok since they have won their Natty's. We tailgated at a really cool spot on campus where they have an old Georgia football scoreboard in a grassy/ tree lined area and everyone congregates there including Vol fans. I would recommend that spot for a fun, authentic experience with some good pics.
Maybe someone on this chain knows the name of that area and can share--

Also, one side of that stadium faces directly West into the sun and it was unbearably hot even in early November.

Here's a tip for you. You're NEVER gonna find anything in/right near Athens to stay. Most folks stay back in/towards Atlanta, which is STILL a BUSY drive and STILL can be BIG $.

about 30 mins NORTH of Athens is Commerce, Geogia (*used to be the home of the Atlanta Dragway) Try the Holiday Inn Express (my preference when staying there) or any of the 4-6 OTHER choices at that Commerce Exit off of I-85. Also, PLENTY of places nearby to eat...and a rather large Outlet mall for shopping on Sunday before heading home. It's just 25 miles north and AWAY from ATL Traffic.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: GlennTenn
Me and my brother are trying to go to all the SEC stadiums. This year we’re making the trip to Athens for the first time! We’ll be staying 15 minutes east of the stadium. We’ll be arriving Friday night. Looking for all recommendations… should we tailgate somewhere before or Uber to the game? Where do all the UT fans gather down there? Open to all recommendations. Thanks and Go Vols!
Be prepared to be abused beyond belief. Many of their fans are nuts and the most rude fans in the Country, with the exception of Florida fans. they have no respect for of other schools.

Literally just got back 2 weeks ago from a mediterranean trip. Spent 3 days in Athens. I recommend the Davi Caravel hotel......right in the thick of everything and you can see the Parthenon from the rooftop bar......very nice hotel.....
20240721_214233.jpg

........Oh.....you meant UGA. Yeah I'm with @VOLINVONORE . There's a couple stadiums AND ridiculous fan base types of children trapped in men's bodies......UF and UGA among them. Take that Ceasar dog whisper guy or take a dog whistle is my suggestion.

Never been to a game there and have only passed through a couple of times.

If you like burgers and hot dogs....The Varsity!

Good chili.

What'll You Have, What'll You Have

Go to Five Points in Athens. Find Steverino’s Pizza. Best pizza I’ve ever had in my life.

Went there 2 years ago. Had some sweet 50 yd line seats on the UGA side. Got some sideways looks but for most part good experience. Took our ass whoopin fairly well. Rain in the second half helped with the tears 😂.

Reactions: feathersax
My brother and I. Sorry but pretty sure you don’t care to sound ignorant. Your “74 year old mother who always wants to be proud of you“ speaking here.

Been several times and going again this year.

Plenty of bars/spots on the main street right next to campus. Walkable as well, hop in and out any of those spots. Tailgating is fun much like most SEC campuses. The fans are some of the most annoying I've been around. The stadium is like a library compared to Neyland :) so you should be fine there.
Go enjoy a nice road trip in Athens and hopefully a win by Nico and company

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
Pick a different stadium. I‘ve been to most of them and Athens and their kind rank at the bottom. Insufferable fan base. You are going to pay top dollar for a really crappy experience. Save your money for a year when they are not as good (which wont be too far off).

VN Store

Back