Trivia questions in tribute to great Tennessee defenses of the past

Volosaurus rex

Doctorate in Volology
(1) Virtually every orange-blooded Tennessee fan is aware that the 1939 team was the last team to go undefeated, untied and unscored upon for the entire regular season. However, the 1970 and 1971 Tennessee teams also established single-season NCAA records in four separate defensive categories. These records remain unbroken to this day and, given the efficiency of modern offenses, probably never will be broken. Please identify these records.

(2) Last year, Oregon led the nation defensively in passes intercepted with 26. There was, however, a 6-year period in which Tennessee defenses AVERAGED MORE THAN THAT ANNUALLY. These ball-hawking, Big Orange bandits amassed 159 interceptions, while surrendering only 37 touchdowns, during what years?

(3) The 2012, ’11 and ’10 Tennessee defenses caused 17, 18 and 28 turnovers, respectively, for a total of 63. What single Tennessee defense amassed more turnovers than the last three combined? Hint: Once you have identified the correct candidate, be sure to include totals for the bowl game since they were not included in those days.

(4) Last year, Oregon led the nation defensively in passes intercepted with 26, but gave up 19 touchdown passes. Very few defenses today achieve better than a 2:1 ratio in terms of interceptions vs. td passes. This wasn’t always the case and gave rise to the adage, “three things can happen when you throw the ball and two of them are bad.” What Tennessee defense holds the best single-season interception: touchdown pass ratio?

Last edited:
1) I think it was total forced turnovers, return yards, td's from turnovers, & turnover ratio.

Excellent first try on question no. 1. The first two are correct; you get partial credit for the third one and the fourth one is incorrect. A hint with respect to the third part of this question: Surprisingly, I do not find a separate entry in the NCAA record book for most total touchdowns scored defensively as a result of opponents' turnovers.

To subsequent respondees, let's dazzle the younger Vol contingent with actual numbers, if possible, just to pat these teams on the back for a job well done.

Last edited:
About 12 years ago I was working at the Ocean Course at Kiawah Island and met Conrad Graham. I was actually his caddie and we spent all day talking UT football.

2) 66-71

3) 70 36 INT 21 fumble recoveries Sugar Bowl 4 Int 4 Fumbles

4) 56 1 TD pass 14 INT

Last edited:
You are correct on questions 3 and 4, but off by a year on question no. 2. Incidentally, had the 1970 team played under today's rules, they would have amassed the mind-boggling total of 65 turnovers in 12 games, given the fact that they racked up 4 more interceptions and four additional fumble recoveries against Air Force in the 1971 Sugar Bowl.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back