True Freshman QB

Sudden Impact

Who we are is what We do with what We have!
Mods move this thread to where ever it belongs... if warranted....

A group of friends all Vols and I sat around the other night and raised the following questions?

Has a true or RS Freshman ever won a National Championship?

Has a true or RS Freshman ever won a SEC Championship?

8 of us don't think so.

A group of friends all Vols and I sat around the other night and raised the following questions?

8 of us don't think so.
Are we expecting either this year, anyway? If not, why is it so important? Ainge and Schaeffer played better as freshmen than the other options we had at the time. If CBJ thinks one of his freshmen has enough skill and athletic ability to overcome the risk of playing one, who are we to question it? I'd love it if Worley or Peterman can take that decision out of his hands, by their play on the field. But if they don't/can't, so be it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Are we expecting either this year, anyway? If not, why is it so important? Ainge and Schaeffer played better as freshmen than the other options we had at the time. If CBJ thinks one of his freshmen has enough skill and athletic ability to overcome the risk of playing one, who are we to question it? I'd love it if Worley or Peterman can take that decision out of hands, by their play on the field. But if they don't/can't, so be it.

Kill em all

Ah you edit your post

Sometimes it is better to just ignore a post or a person versus sticking your foot in your mouth or showing what an A$$ you can be...

Reactions: 11 people
Jamelle Holieway went in for Troy Aikman when he went down early in the year. 11-1 and beat Penn State for the Championship. That was 85.

There was another one. Bernie Kiaser or something like that too.

:)The only thing good about a Freshman QB, is that they can sit on the bench and learn, if you play a Freshman QB in the SEC GET HIS BRAINS BEAT OUT, JOHNNY football was a redshirt before someone throws his name out there and there is not many Johnny football around, but he was at AUSTIN saturday night.

:cool2::run::beerf::shaking2:Talking about Johnny football he is getting everything he can out of this GO JOHNNY FOOTBALL PARTY ALL NIGHT LONG THATS HOW YOU GET TO THE NFL, GO JOHNNY GO.

Saw this online:

Jamelle Holieway (Oklahoma, 1985) The Sooners sure know how to groom quarterbacks. Nearly three decades have passed and Jamelle Holieway is still the only true freshman to lead his team to a national title. Holieway was initially the backup to another freshman sensation named Troy Aikman but Aikman broke his ankle in the fourth game of the year vs. Miami (FL). Not only did the jitterbugging Holieway rush for 862 yards and nine touchdowns in the wishbone offense after sitting on the bench for a month, he also went 8–0 as a starter and led the Sooners to a national championship over Penn State in the Orange Bowl, 25–10. As the Nittany Lions found out the hard way, Holieway could also throw it around a little bit. Now a sad cautionary tale who has had trouble with the law in recent years, Holieway's Barry Sanders-like moves are now sadly too often lost to history.

help me understand the same people who say that kids is a 5* and he is alot better than this 3* but they think the 5* should not start as freshman if you give the vols the best chance to win you can play tuba in the band at half time

Jamelle Holieway went in for Troy Aikman when he went down early in the year. 11-1 and beat Penn State for the Championship. That was 85.

There was another one. Bernie Kiaser or something like that too.

Jamelle ran the option better than any QB I had seen

Last edited:
Wasn't Ainge the first true freshman to ever start the first game of the year for Tenn?

He would have been...if it hadnt been for that meddling Schaeffer :)
Posted via VolNation Mobile

8 of us don't think so.

The real question to be asked is, Does your avi girl have a top on? In my dreams she doesnt, but I cant quite zoom in that far...

:)The only thing good about a Freshman QB, is that they can sit on the bench and learn, if you play a Freshman QB in the SEC GET HIS BRAINS BEAT OUT, JOHNNY football was a redshirt before someone throws his name out there and there is not many Johnny football around, but he was at AUSTIN saturday night.

Schaeffer, Ainge, Bray, Worley all played as freshman

If the freshman is the best option available, then u play him

You dont squander a season to groom a QB and let a sub par QB play. Its a recipe for losing a lot. See Matt Simms.

VN Store

Back