Trying to Help

surrealvol

Since I graduated from U.T. a number of years ago, I have tried to keep my eyes and ears open for recruits up here in Virginia.

Only a very few times have I felt I could really recommend a player to our coaches, a few times in football, a couple times in track, and once in baseball.

I have proceeded to recommend these athletes and only once, about five years ago, have I heard anything at all from the coach I sent information to.

Each of the players I recommended have gone to big schools and done well, so I felt like my judgment was okay.

The thing that bothers me is that I never heard from the coaches, so I just don't recommend anyone anymore.

Any like experiences or thoughts?

Thats cool, you are able to provide the info etc. Im not sure where in Va you are, But i know their is a ton of talent its seems from NOVA. Upwards towards norfolk, Va beach, Hampton etc.

We seen a few pass thru SWVA, closer here to home. The only SwVa kid i can remember off the bat was Alex Wall's, as for UT players.

The rest tend to lean towards Nasty OL' VA TECH :disappointed:

Baseball is a little different. Ive seen more locals as for swva, get a shot at possible big time Ball, Even played with or against a few myself.

I played football with 2 different high schools, and at both, we took butt whippings yr in and yr out, from Gate City. Sorry got off the topic, But do think its pretty neat you get to see some of the talent out there and feel like, they may have a chance. Is it UT coaches that you speak to or recomend players etc to?

Either way it only seems fit, you get an att'a boy down the road from whomever.

Originally posted by surrealvol@Jun 18, 2005 1:25 AM
Since I graduated from U.T. a number of years ago, I have tried to keep my eyes and ears open for recruits up here in Virginia.

Only a very few times have I felt I could really recommend a player to our coaches, a few times in football, a couple times in track, and once in baseball.

I have proceeded to recommend these athletes and only once, about five years ago, have I heard anything at all from the coach I sent information to.

Each of the players I recommended have gone to big schools and done well, so I felt like my judgment was okay.

The thing that bothers me is that I never heard from the coaches, so I just don't recommend anyone anymore.

Any like experiences or thoughts?
[snapback]105108[/snapback]​

Remember this there is alot more than just talent that UT evaluates.
Does this recruit fit with the players we already have?
How loaded are we at this position?
How interested in UT is this recruit?
What do his grades look like?
What is his background in behavior? (Yeah I know but that is looked into)
Those are just a few of the things checked into. Coaches for the most part try and look for info on these guys and sometimes they fall thru the cracks and sometimes for some reason or the other they don't fit with the program. Keep recommending. I wouldn't worry about hearing back from them.

I live in the hampton roads area right now and I can tell you that the talent here is pretty darn awesome. The list of big time athletes goes on and on. Iverson, Vick, Lawrence Taylor, Alonzo Mourning, both Uptons brothers in baseball, the list goes on and on.

I saw the Percy Havin kid play last year in the state championships also watched him play hoops, he's a phenominal athlete. He won a few gold medals in the state track championships as well. Many are comparing him to Iverson as far as overall athleticism. Many have also stated the kid is better than Iverson as a whole. I would have to disagree as I got the chance to watch Iverson in play both sports in high and although I am not his biggest fan he is the best high school athlete I have ever laid eyes on. He just dominated both sports easily, and his size wasnt even a factor. I will say that this Harvin kid is an exceptional player, and he might just end up better than Iverson. I have heard nothing but wonderful things about his attitude off the playing fields, which is a nice relief from Iverson's off the field issues.

I am however getting ready to move back to Rocky Top in the next few months. Boy you really don't appreciate TN until you leave the state for a few years! But it has been fun watching all these kids from this area take flight and move on to big time schools. Jerod Mayo is a LB for TN from this area, and I remember going to watch him wearing my TN orange! Hopefully we can land Percy Harvin. He would be a Dale Carter type player who can make amazing things happen on the field.

GO VOLS!!!!

I personally think there is a lot of untapped talent, particularly in football, that comes from Oregon. U of O and OSU both tend to want more out of state talent, pulling in maybe a few Oregon kids every year.

Now, usually on a yearly basis, we do put out a big nationally-ranked recruit, like Erik Ainge in 2004 or Ndamukong Suh in 2005, but I would honestly like to see more. I think in the Portland Metro area, in the three big conferences, there is a lot of talent that is overlooked in the recruiting process. And look how good our yearly top recruits are doing.

I dunno... I just think Oregon football goes really underappreciated.

Well unlike you, I have always thought that the talent in Florida is Over abused. Its like if you are from florida you can get to a good college playing football. Its crazy down here. I think it is here and Texas that if you are a football player you would want to be.

Oh yeah I forgot all about them. I think it is just so hard to rate all the talent in the country that some areas get over looked.

Yeah. We're doing well in basketball and should be with baseball as Oregon State's success just keeps mounting with a largely Oregon-native roster.

VN Store

Back