Turrentine Appreciation Thread

perico

"Thenneshee willsh be bath..."- Dr. Lou Holtz
This kid was a solid 4 star recruit out of Nashville, went to Ohio State and then transferred back home. Even recently in some of the threads looking ahead to next year, I’ve seen some possible depth charts with this guy not slotted into the starting lineup, and even when he is, he’s kind of overlooked.

Hopefully today was an eye opener to his potential. I’m still scratching my head as to how he hasn’t been used more. He’s a much better athlete than the guys transferring out, and looked a lot better in coverage today… and not once was turned with his back to the ball. Hell of a pick and a TD saving tackle in the 1st quarter.

I’m convinced we had some addition by subtraction on the defense today, no matter the opponent. Iowa’s offense was awful, but they were without their QB for the majority of the season with that offense and still managed to at least keep almost games interesting. We just blew them out on both sides of the ball.

Lot of head scratching decisions being made on the backend of the defense. Coaches prioritize experienced incumbents over talent. Hopefully that changes next year.
Don't have much of a choice there to be honest. Outside of the transfers, not a ton of experience. Turrentine, Gibson, and Thomas got good experience today.

This kid was a solid 4 star recruit out of Nashville, went to Ohio State and then transferred back home. Even recently in some of the threads looking ahead to next year, I’ve seen some possible depth charts with this guy not slotted into the starting lineup, and even when he is, he’s kind of overlooked.

Hopefully today was an eye opener to his potential. I’m still scratching my head as to how he hasn’t been used more. He’s a much better athlete than the guys transferring out, and looked a lot better in coverage today… and not once was turned with his back to the ball. Hell of a pick and a TD saving tackle in the 1st quarter.

I’m convinced we had some addition by subtraction on the defense today, no matter the opponent. Iowa’s offense was awful, but they were without their QB for the majority of the season with that offense and still managed to at least keep almost games interesting. We just blew them out on both sides of the ball.

I am not a fan of the opt-out; you played all year, UT provided a scholarship, and NOW you think you might get hurt. That's false logic. Hate on me if you want; I don't think it is good for the program. Fortunately, it did not affect UT; I think the defense played better because of it.

Which part are you confused about?
Exactly. The post wasn’t rocket science. Turrentine has been kind of overlooked/written off by a number of people, including some of the media that covers us for the big websites, so it was great to see him get the chance to start and show his potential.

Slaughter is also listed at SS, so that's not a good sign either then. The reality is one of those guys is going to be playing at FS.
I think Slaughter is more of a FS than the other two, though. Hell, Jourdan Thomas might play FS too if Boo can be the Star.

Reactions: bpalmer28
I am not a fan of the opt-out; you played all year, UT provided a scholarship, and NOW you think you might get hurt. That's false logic. Hate on me if you want; I don't think it is good for the program. Fortunately, it did not affect UT; I think the defense played better because of it.
I don’t think anyone is a fan of the opt-out but you can’t make someone play football. Not sure else how it could be handled. You could make them reimburse tuition???? But that would only punish the kids that didn’t end up getting drafted high or give a recruiting advantage to schools that didn’t make players sign a scholarship agreement like that.

I think the opt out is here to stay.

Thomas was playing STAR today and Turrentine was playing FS
Yeah, I think Thomas is a Star first. Hope our Safeties are good enough that he stays there.

I prefer Turrentine at FS, even if he’s been the backup SS all year. Also, we’ve sorta forgotten Christian Charles. He’ll be in the mix at Safety too. He just needs to stay healthy.

Reactions: Vol865
He looked good. Hard to know more against the team we played. You like them up in practice and see who can do their assignments the best.

I hope you’re right but I think today’s game is 0 indicator of our defense/secondary. At 35 and 240 i think i could suit up at DB against Iowa. They couldn’t catch the ball and they didn’t have a Qb that could get them the ball. Quite possibly the worst offense we’ve ever witnessed. Let’s not over react in true vol fashion.

VN Store

Back