UConn - The exception

volbound1700

All the media about College Sports is that teams need the big payouts from Football to compete (see FSU's beef with ACC). Yet, UConn, continues to be premier in most sports despite having a horrid Football program.

UConn has back-to-back titles in Men's Basketball
Top program in Women's Basketball (although not winning a title recently, they made FF and have legendary coach that we all know about)
Just beat Oklahoma to advance to Super Regionals in Baseball, etc.

However, according to programs like Clemson, FSU, USC, Texas, etc. that sought money and said they couldn't win without it, UConn should be a bottom feeder.

They put all their eggs in basketball’s basket.

See similar teams in Duke, Gonzaga, etc - other private schools.

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan

UConn just advanced in Baseball too, a sport that really isn't in their area. If you take out Football, UConn is one of the most successful programs out there. I keep hearing the FSU whining about needing money to win but I don't see it.

It is kind of like all the Big12 teams that whined about the Longhorn Network and, yet, Texas was pretty bad despite that Financial advantage and was getting beat out by schools like Baylor, TCU, Iowa State, and Kansas. Makes Nebraska and Texas A&M look dumb because those other Big12 schools just rolled their sleeves up and win instead of making excuses about Texas.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
All the media about College Sports is that teams need the big payouts from Football to compete (see FSU's beef with ACC). Yet, UConn, continues to be premier in most sports despite having a horrid Football program.

UConn has back-to-back titles in Men's Basketball
Top program in Women's Basketball (although not winning a title recently, they made FF and have legendary coach that we all know about)
Just beat Oklahoma to advance to Super Regionals in Baseball, etc.

However, according to programs like Clemson, FSU, USC, Texas, etc. that sought money and said they couldn't win without it, UConn should be a bottom feeder.
Just goes to show the king standing rule of statistics. There are ALWAYS outliers. Exceptions don’t prove the rule.

Well, Tim Corbin cutting loose two assistants from vandie baseball. I'm so interested. 😑
Mike Baxter will not return as Vanderbilt baseball's hitting coach for the 2025 season.

Baxter and fellow assistant coach Tyler Shewmaker were fired Thursday, according to a report from Kendall Rogers of D1Baseball.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I thought UConn would be more of a natural fit for the ACC and more desirable than Cal, Stanford, and especially SMU.

Reactions: volbound1700
I thought UConn would be more of a natural fit for the ACC and more desirable than Cal, Stanford, and especially SMU.
Just shows how much more important football is than anything else .... even if you are elite in both men's and women's basketball, you aren't desirable to power conferences unless your football program at least has the potential to be strong.

Duke is good at both genders of basketball, football, lacrosse, baseball, softball and usually soccer too

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Just shows how much more important football is than anything else .... even if you are elite in both men's and women's basketball, you aren't desirable to power conferences unless your football program at least has the potential to be strong.

True but it is really about fan attendance. Oklahoma State has been solid in Football but no one wanted them. Basically if you fill your stands and have a lot of them, you will get picked up by B1G or SEC.

Duke is good at both genders of basketball, football, lacrosse, baseball, softball and usually soccer too
Duke is not good at football. They’ve had 3 nine-win seasons in their recent history. They’ve had mostly mediocre seasons.

Duke is not good at football. They’ve had 3 nine-win seasons in their recent history. They’ve had mostly mediocre seasons.
Did I say they were good at football in 2004? Duke is good at all of those sports now and supporting all of its various athletic programs pretty well recently

Did I say they were good at football in 2004? Duke is good at all of those sports now and supporting all of its various athletic programs pretty well recently
You said Duke was good at football. You didn’t specify time frame. They aren’t. They are average. They’ve had 5 winning seasons in the last 10. The coach that led them to their last 2 good seasons isn’t there any longer.

You said Duke was good at football. You didn’t specify time frame. They aren’t. They are average. They’ve had 5 winning seasons in the last 10. The coach that led them to their last 2 good seasons isn’t there any longer.
I said Duke is good at football and they are. Given that I said IS, if I didn’t specify, there’s no reason to assume I meant “historically.” Point is that all eggs in one sport isn’t true. Thanks for playing

Reactions: volfanhill
I’m sure you’d say TN was a good program if they had 7 winning seasons out of 30.

VN Store

Back