UFC 136: Edgar-Maynard III

shelbyvillevol

#MakeTNGreatAgain
UFC 136: Edgar vs. Maynard III
Date: Oct 08, 2011

Venue: Toyota Center
Broadcast: Pay-per-view and Spike TV

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view)

•Champ Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard (for lightweight title)
•Champ Jose Aldo vs. Kenny Florian (for featherweight title)
•Chael Sonnen vs. Brian Stann
•Melvin Guillard vs. Joe Lauzon
•Leonard Garcia vs. Nam Phan
PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike TV)
•Demian Maia vs. Jorge Santiago
•Anthony Pettis vs. Jeremy Stephens

What are everyone's predictions? Mine are:
Edgar by decision
Aldo by TKO
Sonnen by submission
Guillard by TKO
Phan by decision
Santiago by TKO
Pettis by decision

The championship fights should be good. I'm actually not as high on this card as most just because they lack size, which usually means they lack power. I have no problem watching them trade blows if they're willing to stand in there and fight. I just don't have a lot of confidence in knock outs for this card.

What ever happened to the fighter who fought in the street in Austin after a big dude hit a girl in the back of the head? He stomped the guys head in the concrete when he was down, so I thought he'd go to jail.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

This should be a decent card. If only for the fact there are 2 title fights. Im sure ill pop into BWW on the strip after the game and check it out.

I'm not that crazy about this card, either. I will be watching the game Saturday, so I probably won't even get to watch it. And I'm ok with that. A better card I couldn't do that. To be honest, the Sonnen-Stann fight interests me the most. Neither Edgar or Maynard interest me that much for some reason, and I think Aldo will bounce back and destroy Florian. I think Florian has to cut too much at 145, but he's not in Aldo's class anyways, imo.

I would like to see Maynard get knocked out.
My only interest in this card.
Not sure it will happen though.

Pearl, you lost me. Bones is fighting Machida, not Shogun. I don't know where Shogun fits in this?

No more drinking in the afternoon during days off for me.

Not sure why I thought it was Rua(unless ESPN edited??)

But uh, seeing as Machida lost two fights in a row, one of which was to Rua... it's no wonder I'd confuse Machida for a title fight. Since when does going 1-2 while beating a washed up, retired fighter = title shot?

There might have been a point in time when I would pull for Machida over Jones(not a bones fan) but it's an embarrassment that Machida would even get a title shot given his last 3 fights.

P.s. I could've sworn it originally said Shogun... Still think it did :loco:

P.s.s.s.s.s.s Don't underestimate the power of drunk - happy face

No more drinking in the afternoon during days off for me.

Not sure why I thought it was Rua(unless ESPN edited??)

But uh, seeing as Machida lost two fights in a row, one of which was to Rua... it's no wonder I'd confuse Machida for a title fight. Since when does going 1-2 while beating a washed up, retired fighter = title shot?

There might have been a point in time when I would pull for Machida over Jones(not a bones fan) but it's an embarrassment that Machida would even get a title shot given his last 3 fights.

Sucks man. He's going to be winning a lot of fights, for a long ****ing time. Maybe you can just ignore that weight division for the next 10 years.

Sucks man. He's going to be winning a lot of fights, for a long ****ing time. Maybe you can just ignore that weight division for the next 10 years.

He's better than everyone but he's also arrogant. I fully expect him to slip up or get overconfident. It won't be long before he gets choked out or knocked out by a more experienced fighter.

So, I won't ignore it because I want to be there when he loses in the next two years. He's too arrogant to stay unbeaten. Just like he got disqualified and just like he dropped to his knees and crawled around taunting Rampage. He isn't staying unbeaten for long at the top level. His arrogance won't allow it unless he grows up

Nobody thought Rashad Evans was going to lose either... it happens

Last edited:
Going to need this on in the background with the way this game is going. Usually use knock outs as a relief, somebody better surprise me with one.

Last edited:
Think I'm done watching UFC. That finish/interview was so WWF it wasn't even funny. I'm not 7 anymore...

Ended up being alright. Only one knock out and it came in the final fight. Maynard should have finished Edgar in the 1st round. Instead, Edgar recovered and knocked Maynard out in the 4th round.

The Aldo/Florian fight sucked

He's better than everyone but he's also arrogant. I fully expect him to slip up or get overconfident. It won't be long before he gets choked out or knocked out by a more experienced fighter.

So, I won't ignore it because I want to be there when he loses in the next two years. He's too arrogant to stay unbeaten. Just like he got disqualified and just like he dropped to his knees and crawled around taunting Rampage. He isn't staying unbeaten for long at the top level. His arrogance won't allow it unless he grows up

Nobody thought Rashad Evans was going to lose either... it happens

Are we talking about the same guy? As far as fighters go, he doesn't even move the meter when it comes to arrogance.

Anyone else read that Dana White is calling for Edgar to vacate his LW title, move down to his more natural fighting weight of 145, and fight Aldo? Stupid move, imo. A champion should only vacate a title to move up in weight class, not down. It just doesn't make any sense to me. However, Aldo vs. Edgar would be a hell of a fight.

Are we talking about the same guy? As far as fighters go, he doesn't even move the meter when it comes to arrogance.

"I'm not necessarily ashamed of being arrogant"

I think it's safe to say he is arrogant when he, himself admits it.

He talked about defending the title before he had won it. He wanted to fight Evans when they were still teammates. He was essentially mocking Rampage when he dropped to the ground at the beginning of the fight. He accused Evans of ducking him.

He thinks he's better than everyone(which may be true) and goes about it in a flamboyant way. Confidence is one thing but he surpasses that. He's the mini-me version Rashad Evans/Floyd Mayweather. He's not as bad but he's still arrogant. I guess we see him in a different light.

At least he's only 23 or 24. I'll give him credit for that because he could be worse at his age.

"I'm not necessarily ashamed of being arrogant"

I think it's safe to say he is arrogant when he, himself admits it.

He talked about defending the title before he had won it. He wanted to fight Evans when they were still teammates. He was essentially mocking Rampage when he dropped to the ground at the beginning of the fight. He accused Evans of ducking him.

He thinks he's better than everyone(which may be true) and goes about it in a flamboyant way. Confidence is one thing but he surpasses that. He's the mini-me version Rashad Evans/Floyd Mayweather. He's not as bad but he's still arrogant. I guess we see him in a different light.

At least he's only 23 or 24. I'll give him credit for that because he could be worse at his age.

Yeah, none of those examples are egregious incidents of arrogance, IMO. Again, if you and I behaved that way it would be intolerable arrogance, but those are pretty tame examples for a fighter.

IMO, it's hard not to admire a dude kind and selfless enough to chase down a purse-snatcher (for a total stranger) the same day as the biggest fight of his life.

VN Store

Back