UFC 137 - October 29th @ 9PM ET

unconventional
BJ Penn(16-7-2) vs. Nick Diaz(25-7)

Cheick Kongo(16-6-2) vs. Matt Mitrione(5-0)

Mirko Filipović(27-9-2) vs. Roy Nelson(15-6)

Brad Tavares(7-1) vs. Dustin Jacoby (6-0)

Hatsu Hioki(24-4-2) vs. George Roop(12-7-1)

Last edited:
Wasn't that excited at first but I'm starting to look forward to this card. Title fight, Penn vs. Diaz and two heavyweight fights. Not bad at all

The fight I'm most excited about by far is Kongo and Mitrione. Mitrione is one of my favorite young fighters and a serious rising star in the HW division. Kongo is always exciting to watch and is coming off of that epic comeback knockout of Pat Barry.

Cro Cop and Big Country could very well be a loser leaves town match. Cro Cop is a legend, but is WAY past his prime and should be ready to call it a career regardless of the outcome.

I think Cerrone-Siver should have got PPV billing over Hioki-Roop.

I'll be rooting for BJ and Condit in the main events, but I expect both to lose.

The fight I'm most excited about by far is Kongo and Mitrione. Mitrione is one of my favorite young fighters and a serious rising star in the HW division. Kongo is always exciting to watch and is coming off of that epic comeback knockout of Pat Barry.

Cro Cop and Big Country could very well be a loser leaves town match. Cro Cop is a legend, but is WAY past his prime and should be ready to call it a career regardless of the outcome.

I think Cerrone-Siver should have got PPV billing over Hioki-Roop.

I'll be rooting for BJ and Condit in the main events, but I expect both to lose.

Mitrione is good. He was a punk head-case in the show, and he even seemed scared of other fighters at times, but dude is legit once in the ring.

Mitrione is good. He was a punk head-case in the show, and he even seemed scared of other fighters at times, but dude is legit once in the ring.

Yeah it's funny. I didn't care for him on the show, but I have really come to like him over the past couple years. He is different, but I think he has mellowed out alot and become a more mature person and fighter. That and the fact he has used "Simple Man" by Skynyrd as his entrance music a couple times makes me like him even more.

Well GSP is out with a knee injury which completely sucks. Way too late in the game to get another legit fight so BJ/Diaz will main event.

And just like that, I'm far less excited.

Is it going to be added to the next card? The next card looks pretty crappy.

On a sidenote I'm really amazed how little some of these fighters get in terms of money compared to what boxers are paid.

Used to be some of these guys woudl get paid about 40k for a fight.
UFC is making a fortune off these guys.

On a sidenote I'm really amazed how little some of these fighters get in terms of money compared to what boxers are paid.

Used to be some of these guys woudl get paid about 40k for a fight.
UFC is making a fortune off these guys.

Oh no doubt. The majority of fighters money that they get comes from endorsements. The companies like Tapout, Xtreme Couture, Form Athletics, Throwdown, MMA Elite, and Dethrone are what makes it so profitable to be a fighter. Also, many have extra advertising on their trunks during fights. (such as The Gun Store or the always classic Condom Warehouse)

Speaking of that, I hate that Silver Star got out of the mma business. I always liked their shirts the best. I still have a Urijah Faber Silver Star shirt that I wear on fight nights often.

GSP is out? Wow, this event just got better. Most boring fighter in the UFC. His last 4 fights or so have been boring as hell.

GSP is out? Wow, this event just got better. Most boring fighter in the UFC. His last 4 fights or so have been boring as hell.

I wouldn't call him the most boring (Jon Fitch), but he is up there. If he finished fights, he would get alot more respect. That's for sure. There's no reason for him to dominate people the way he has and not finish them. His last 4 fights have almost been carbon copies of one another. Alves, Hardy, Koscheck, and Shields all looked like novices against him, but they still went the distance.

I think he fights the way he does because he know there is nothing anyone can do about it. Physically dominates them and plays it smart. He's cleaned house in a pretty good division. Better than Silva's in my opinion. Both need to find a new challenge. If it's against each other, so be it. I'm 95% in the minority but I think GSP could potentially take down Silva. That's not a popular opinion but I think it's possible. I wouldn't bet on it or anything but I don't think I'd bet on Silva either. If Silva gets past Chael Sonnen, maybe Silva will move up or GSP-Silva can take place. That's another fight I'm not ruling as a win for Silva. Unless my beer buzz is messing with me, wasn't Sonnen winning last time they fought? Silva pulled off a miracle win.

I think he fights the way he does because he know there is nothing anyone can do about it. Physically dominates them and plays it smart. He's cleaned house in a pretty good division. Better than Silva's in my opinion. Both need to find a new challenge. If it's against each other, so be it. I'm 95% in the minority but I think GSP could potentially take down Silva. That's not a popular opinion but I think it's possible. I wouldn't bet on it or anything but I don't think I'd bet on Silva either. If Silva gets past Chael Sonnen, maybe Silva will move up or GSP-Silva can take place. That's another fight I'm not ruling as a win for Silva. Unless my beer buzz is messing with me, wasn't Sonnen winning last time they fought? Silva pulled off a miracle win.

No way, no how GSP wins that fight. He might be able to take him down, but he can't keep him down. What will most likely happen is Anderson will tag him when he attempts a takedown. They are both phenomenal fighters, no doubt, but the size and striking advantage Anderson has on GSP could not be overcame.

No way, no how GSP wins that fight. He might be able to take him down, but he can't keep him down. What will most likely happen is Anderson will tag him when he attempts a takedown. They are both phenomenal fighters, no doubt, but the size and striking advantage Anderson has on GSP could not be overcame.

I'm assuming they'd fight at the same size though. I'm not talking about 170 vs. 184. If they fought at the same weight, I think GSP could beat Silva. Silva is amazing but after his performance against Sonnen last time around, I wonder how much he has left in him. I looked it up and Chael Sonnen absolutely dominated him until Silva lucked out.

Sonnen won each of the first four rounds on all of the judges' scorecards, with the score heading into the fifth round being 40–34, 40–35, and 40–36.

Wouldn't be surprised if Silva comes in more prepared and finishes him early but I also wouldn't be surprised if Sonnen beats his ass again.

Chael definitely dominated that fight. I do think that it was reported that Anderson had a cracked rib, or something to that effect.

If they fought, GSP would have to move up to 185. At that point, he would basically be at his natural "walk around" weight. Anderson has to cut to get to 185. Anderson would probably be over 200 on fight night. So there would still be a weight gap. Anderson is also alot longer than GSP, too.

Chael definitely dominated that fight. I do think that it was reported that Anderson had a cracked rib, or something to that effect.

If they fought, GSP would have to move up to 185. At that point, he would basically be at his natural "walk around" weight. Anderson has to cut to get to 185. Anderson would probably be over 200 on fight night. So there would still be a weight gap. Anderson is also alot longer than GSP, too.

That's true about Silva having the advantage if GSP moves up. And you're right, GSP would be the one moving up if they fought. The fight wouldn't necessarily have to take place right away though. You could give GSP 1 or 2 fights before he took on Silva. 6 months to prepare for his first 1st fight and another 6 months to prepare for Silva. That would give him a year to work with that weight and sculpt himself. Closer to a 1.5 years if he had 2 fights before Silva. By then though, Silva is pushing 40 and he may have hit the dreaded wall. It's amazing how some fighters just immediately breakdown all at once. Like Fedor losing 3 in a row

Silva may very well stomp the crap out of GSP. It would just be hard for me to say GSP has no chance given how good of a fighter he is. Unless it's 170 vs. 184. Then yeah, I'd take Silva without question. Obviously they'd have to fight at the same weight to level the playing field. Nobody cares if someone beats someone 15lbs smaller. Unless it's the heavyweights

You're right about the age issue for both guys really. If the UFC wants the fight to happen, it has to happen soon. If it were me, I would rather see Anderson fight Bones while he is still considered in his prime.

My provider just advertised GSP vs. Diaz. They don't show any video footage of previous fights, just a blue screen with the names and number to order. False advertisement much? I would have taken 10's of seconds to edit the names for the main event.

UFC was still showing the commercial advertising GSP-Condit a solid 4-5 days after GSP was scratched from the card. You know they do that stuff intentionally.

The last GSP fight was pretty boring.
He hurt his eye, and was content to just win on points.
Shields was a weak opponent and couldnt do anything.

The last GSP fight was pretty boring.
He hurt his eye, and was content to just win on points.
Shields was a weak opponent and couldnt do anything.

Sounds the same as about the last 4 GSP fights. Shields actually won at least 1 round, so he actually did better than Koscheck, Hardy, or Alves.

VN Store

Back