UGA should vacate wins due to the Jeremy Pruitt debacle

Tman44

God Father of Soul
As we all know, the NCAA handed down penalties to UT Football. The players that received cash from Pruitt and company were ruled ineligible by the NCAA. Tennessee was given 14 days to report back to the NCAA which games the ineligible players participated in. It is understood that any wins in those games will be vacated. It is also known that Pruitt paid Darnell Washington. Washington then spurned UT for UGA. To be consistent, Darnell Washington must be considered an ineligible player and thus wins vacated for games he played in. I seriously do not see this happening because the NCAA is a corrupt organization. I also believe that Darnell Washington was more than likely the person that got the ball rolling on the mess Pruitt created.

Tennessee recruitment of Georgia's Darnell Washington included cash payment

As we all know, the NCAA handed down penalties to UT Football. The players that received cash from Pruitt and company were ruled ineligible by the NCAA. Tennessee was given 14 days to report back to the NCAA which games the ineligible players participated in. It is understood that any wins in those games will be vacated. It is also known that Pruitt paid Darnell Washington. Washington then spurned UT for UGA. To be consistent, Darnell Washington must be considered an ineligible player and thus wins vacated for games he played in. I seriously do not see this happening because the NCAA is a corrupt organization. I also believe that Darnell Washington was more than likely the person that got the ball rolling on the mess Pruitt created.

I see where you’re going with this but that’s not how it works. Tennessee gave him the money as an inducement but he didn’t sign with us. He’s only ineligible to play for Tennessee, not ineligible to play college football forever after that. You would have to prove that UGA also gave him money, which no one has provided evidence of, only the logic that “Well UGA must have paid him more” which doesn’t actually hold water. Some players really do chose achools for coaching, so academics, and (primarily) NFL level development. You would need actual evidence to prove that he took money from UGA.

Suppose for a second you are a recruit and you’re all Vol. Some booster from vandy wants to give you $600 to buy a new PS5. You know you’re going to UT anyways. Why not take the schmucks money?

I see where you’re going with this but that’s not how it works. Tennessee gave him the money as an inducement but he didn’t sign with us. He’s only ineligible to play for Tennessee, not ineligible to play college football forever after that. You would have to prove that UGA also gave him money, which no one has provided evidence of, only the logic that “Well UGA must have paid him more” which doesn’t actually hold water. Some players really do chose achools for coaching, so academics, and (primarily) NFL level development. You would need actual evidence to prove that he took money from UGA.

Suppose for a second you are a recruit and you’re all Vol. Some booster from vandy wants to give you $600 to buy a new PS5. You know you’re going to UT anyways. Why not take the schmucks money?

Correct. He is only ineligible to play for whomever paid him. This came out in the Ole Miss scandal a few years ago as well. A player took cash from Ole Miss, but then committed to Miss State. He even served as a witness against OM for the ncaa. No violation since he didn't go there.

Irony is, imo Pruitt just did what he learned at Bama and UGA. He just wasn't good at covering it up like they are. Amateur... sheesh.

AMATEURISM When you register for an Academic and Amateurism or Amateurism-Only Certification account with the NCAA Eligibility Center, you will be asked a series of questions about your sports participation to determine your amateur status. In some instances, the Eligibility Center staff may need to gather additional information to evaluate your amateur status.
ISSUES REVIEWED AS PART OF THE AMATEURISM CERTIFICATION PROCESS » Delaying your full-time collegiate enrollment to participate in organized competition. » Playing with professionals. » Signing a contract with a professional team. » Participating in tryouts or practices with a professional team. REQUESTING FINAL

AMATEURISM CERTIFICATION » Receiving payment or preferential treatment/benefits for playing sports. » Receiving prize money. » Receiving benefits from an agent or prospective agent. » Involvement with a recruiting service.

The article says Washington wasn't named by the NCAA. How was any school to know who "student athlete 3" or whatever is when they're recruiting?

There's no way. So you put every athlete who transferred as a possible suspect and NONE will be picked up by any team?

How was GA supposed to know?

Lol. Gotta throw the BS flag on ya, brother. uga fans and the VolDawg apologists will assert that people go to uga because awesomeness and all things uga, but in the real world, major college programs, uga included, have been enticing players under the table for decades.

The logical conclusion holds a helluva lot of water.

Now, that said, unless there is proof then I dont feel anything should happen to uga on this. But to assert that he took UTs money, then jumped to uga because of rainbows, unicorns, and the awesomeness of uga is just plain silly.

You're right, but it definitely looks suspicious. Not enough there to draw a fact-based conclusion. And the only way to prove it would be for there to be an investigation, which will probably never happen. So all we're left with are our suspicions. If it looks like a duck...or a dawg...

One time, a company was trying to hire me. They showed me how much they cheat and evade taxes. I took a job at a different company. The obvious conclusion for many on this board is that the company that hired me must cheat more and evade more taxes. It’s impossible to think I didn’t want to work for cheaters, right?

In high school recruiting circles, the rumor was that Pruitt was paying highly rated recruits just to visit. It made UT look more prestigious in the eyes of other recruits. We took it as real interest.

Before y’all trash all these kids, imagine yourself as a 15 year old when these multimillionaire adult coaches start calling you and telling you how important you are. The years continue like this and your mom has trouble paying the bills and maybe your electricity gets turned off every once in a while. This multimillionaire says come for your OV where we pay for airfare, housing, food, and everything else. Also, here’s a little extra to help your mama. Don’t worry about it, it’s ok. Remember, you’re getting phone calls, texts, mail, etc from UT multiple times a week for 2 years. These coaches are professionals and well known. They tell you it’s ok.

17 year olds can’t fully understand the consequences of their actions. Adults being paid millions from the University of Tennessee can understand the consequences.

The problem isn’t the athlete. The problem is the coaches who entice these kids and the university who fails to monitor the coaches. Who is looking out for the 15, 16, or 17 year old kid while they interact with coaches and a university making millions of dollars? Someone posted in another thread that UT has the 7th most profitable Athletic Department. The university can afford to make sure these recruits aren’t being manipulated by their coaches. Don’t be mad at the player. Be mad at the adults and university taking advantage of them.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
In high school recruiting circles, the rumor was that Pruitt was paying highly rated recruits just to visit. It made UT look more prestigious in the eyes of other recruits. We took it as real interest.

If that's true it probably made us seem desperate to recruits too, and desperation generally doesn't sell well at the end of the day. Sure the prom queen may let the dork do her homework or carry her books, but at the end of the day she's going to prom with the quarterback. Glad to be rid of Beldar and to have a guy doing it the right way now.

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol

100% agree! I cannot understand how you can be said ineligible at 1 place for rules violations yet go to another place and it’s okay! You broke rules by taking money. If you rob a bank in Ohio you will be arrested in Kentucky for robbing the bank in Ohio for example. WTF are we doing?

Reactions: lifeisdeep
Gave Washington a bag and he still went to uga. Makes you wonder how big a bag they had.
Investigation into Tennessee football, Jeremy Pruitt uncovers Darnell Washington bombshell (msn.com)
So Washington took money from Tennessee, then signed with and played for Georgia. Curious as to how much Georgia gave him to sign. Both head coaches were former Saban assistant coaches, so they know/knew what 'bama was doing, one knew the system well enough to make it work for him, the other wasn't smart ( no pun intended, or maybe it was) enough to know the way to do it without getting caught.

So what, if anything can be done to Washington now? Can Georgia be forced to vacate any wins Washington participated in? It would seem they should have to since he participated in games and won 2 National Championships while there. The Georgia fan base would go ballistic if Georgia had to vacate two championships.

It should be Georgia, Oklahoma and Alabama giving up wins as the other ineligible players went to those schools.

VN Store

Back