Up Tempo or Ball Control Offense?

Neyland Law Vol

I have seen several posts discussing how this season TN needs to play to its strengths, which are the running game and the talented and experienced O-Line. Thus, these posts have concluded that TN needs to have a keep-a-way, ball control, run-it-down your throat, run some clock, style offense and to have a chance to pull off a few upsets.

Then i see how Coach Jones' system is a up tempo, fast paced, call a ton of plays, style offense. I may be missing something, but it seems like these two things are inconsistent. Actually they seem to be nearly polar opposites.

Help me out. . . How does Jones mix a ball control run the clock offense with a fast paced up tempo offense? I hope we try to win THIS YEAR, even if it takes using a different ball control style offense, rather than installing a fast paced offense that doesn't fit this years personnel.

Any thoughts?

I prefer ball control, I really like watching long slow drives. I also think it's a good way to beat opponents, just don't give them the ball. As a Packer fan, I am tired of having to score 30+ points to beat everyone.

I prefer ball control, I really like watching long slow drives. I also think it's a good way to beat opponents, just don't give them the ball. As a Packer fan, I am tired of having to score 30+ points to beat everyone.

I have always understood a ball control game plan to be the best way for an overmatched team to stick around and steal one in the fourth quarter against a more talented team. Since TN will on paper be out manned talent wise in 5 or more games, this seems like the right approach.

But then CBJ is known for up tempo?

Have 90 offensive plays with most of them being runs and short passes. WR's switch out each play after taking their CB's deep each play (their CB's don't get to switch out). Occasionally we throw deep to a WR being covered by a gassed out DB. Offense hustles back to line of scrimmage each time with new WR's and RB's (who give the next play to the QB) and they unload again...

Reactions: 2 people
How about an offense that just scores

Well the theory of a ball control offense is that your opponet can't beat you if they don't have the ball. Take a bunch of time off the clock each possession and you limit the number of times the other teams offense gets the ball.

It seems like this game plan would be especially good in the oregon and UGA games given thier offense?

Have 90 offensive plays with most of them being runs and short passes. WR's switch out each play after taking their CB's deep each play (their CB's don't get to switch out). Occasionally we throw deep to a WR being covered by a gassed out DB. Offense hustles back to line of scrimmage each time with new WR's and RB's (who give the next play to the QB) and they unload again...

How will wrs be able to sub but cbs won't?

You can not huddle, get to the line and have a play called and simply not snap it while the play clock runs (usually accomplished by a "check with me" play call or audible). Then you have hurried up AND controlled clock.

Reactions: 5 people
How about good ole smash mouth football, with limited turnovers and stout against the run.....

The strategy Butch has is that by having a lot of plays, moving very fast on offense and keep moving the chains will wear down the D by the end of the game. Our defense will need to be good for this strategy to work because there will be more possessions per game for each team, but I think our D will be greatly improved under Butch.

So while the method is different, the end result is the same. More plays for your team, wearing down the opposing D, allowing you to score and win the game at the end.

This. One of the points of the fast pace is to keep the defense from being able to sub. Exploit mismatches and get them gassed. If you sub then the defense is allowed to sub also.

The WRs know where they're lining up when they come onto the field (they could overload the near side of the field for example) while the DBs don't, making it very difficult for them to substitute between plays.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't mind either way. I just hope our offense is productive and win us games. Although I would prefer a hybrid of the pro-style and spread anything that works is fine with me.

We won't beat teams like Bama and LSU by playing like them. Bad teams stay in games because good teams make mistakes. Not because of ball control. We will get kicked in the teeth by them two if we ran their offense. We need to gas them out, so we can run by them. Good defense is good defense regardless of offensive scheme. Alabama would have just as good of a D running Oregon's offense, because they have more talent than anyone.

The strategy Butch has is that by having a lot of plays, moving very fast on offense and keep moving the chains will wear down the D by the end of the game. Our defense will need to be good for this strategy to work because there will be more possessions per game for each team, but I think our D will be greatly improved under Butch.

So while the method is different, the end result is the same. More plays for your team, wearing down the opposing D, allowing you to score and win the game at the end.

So no to "ball control" offense, and yes to fast paced up tempo. . . despite our current roster's strength of a talented o-line and running backs?

I guess if you have a good defense, you don't need to play "keep-away" because you have confidence that if you give the ball to the other team a bunch, your defensne will stop them from scoring most of the time?

The WRs know where they're lining up when they come onto the field (they could overload the near side of the field for example) while the DBs don't, making it very difficult for them to substitute between plays.

If you sub out then the Defense is allowed by rule to sub also. The ref will not release the ball til the defense has had time to sub.

As a fellow Packer fan I feel the pain!!

Up tempo against similar matched and weaker opponents.

This could be a good plan. Perhaps we will see CBJ's up tempo offense against evenly matched and weaker opponents. But in games where TN is a heavy underdog (i.e Oregon, UF) TN may switch it up and play ball control?

VN Store

Back