US Open: Djokovich or the field?

MphsBlues

Lately, this has been a good question in just about any tournament he's played.
My arguments against:
Monfils, Murray, Berdytch (if his shoulder can hold up), Tsonga, DelPo, Fish. I hesitate to mention Fed, but he wants a 6th in a big way, so he has to be part of the discussion. Rafa, I have to leave out. He seems to be a head case, now. Gulbis could be a dark horse, but not much of an argument against. Djooke is also running on fumes, even after taking a month off after Wimbledon. He was not his normal self in the finals of Cincy. Whether that shoulder thing is a real problem with him, I don't know.
Argument for:
Dude is arguably playing the game stronger this year than anyone in history (based on his record this year). Dude is just a beast nowadays.

Funny how one match can ruin one's perspective on a player's chances to win the next slam. Clearly, Djokovic is the top player on tour these days. I don't believe he is that injured after Cincy final, but it is inevitable that the wear and tear of his tremendous run catches up with him. I hope he plays well, but wouldn't be surprised to see him get upset.

Federer. He can still win this tournament, but needs to miss the big hitters/big risk takers on his side of the draw. If he does play a Tsonga or Berdych, he has pray they are slightly off or they will simply blast him off the court. If the matchups are right, he can still do it. I still have to say no though.

Nadal. No. He has his one US Open star stenciled on his racquet bag and that will be it. Especially this year. Something is amiss with his game.

Del Potro. Yes, but looked bad in Cincy against Federer. Still, if he gets hot he can just blast people off the court. He, Tsonga, and Berdych all have a puncher's chance anytime they step on the hard court. Depends how hot or cold they each run.

Murray. No. I've learned my lesson. (But he's got to win one of these someday doesn't he?)

Fish. Played well all summer then seemed to lose interest in the Cincy semi. I'll pull for him to make some noise, but wouldn't bet on it.

If I had to put real money on it, I go: Djoker, random bit hitter (Del Potro, Berdych), Murray, Federer, Nadal, Field.

Dont know tennis like you men, love to watch it, wonder how much pain djok is in with his shoulder.

Funny how one match can ruin one's perspective on a player's chances to win the next slam. Clearly, Djokovic is the top player on tour these days. I don't believe he is that injured after Cincy final, but it is inevitable that the wear and tear of his tremendous run catches up with him. I hope he plays well, but wouldn't be surprised to see him get upset.

Federer. He can still win this tournament, but needs to miss the big hitters/big risk takers on his side of the draw. If he does play a Tsonga or Berdych, he has pray they are slightly off or they will simply blast him off the court. If the matchups are right, he can still do it. I still have to say no though.

Nadal. No. He has his one US Open star stenciled on his racquet bag and that will be it. Especially this year. Something is amiss with his game.

Del Potro. Yes, but looked bad in Cincy against Federer. Still, if he gets hot he can just blast people off the court. He, Tsonga, and Berdych all have a puncher's chance anytime they step on the hard court. Depends how hot or cold they each run.

Murray. No. I've learned my lesson. (But he's got to win one of these someday doesn't he?)

Fish. Played well all summer then seemed to lose interest in the Cincy semi. I'll pull for him to make some noise, but wouldn't bet on it.

If I had to put real money on it, I go: Djoker, random bit hitter (Del Potro, Berdych), Murray, Federer, Nadal, Field.

I agree with pretty much everything, D. Murray sure looks strong going in, but you're probably right. Talk about head cases, he is one..
I wonder who will surface on the radar unexpectedly.

Last edited:
Draw was just announced with Djokovic and Federer on the same half of the draw. Nadal and Murray on same side.

Rest is being announced as I type.

Worst case scenario draw for Federer as he potentially may have to face Tsonga, Berdych, Fish, and Djokovic along the way. They are all on his side of the draw anyway.

Nadal, Soderling, Murray, Del Potro, Ferrer are all on the same side.

I don't think Fed would appreciate the Racquet Bracket that I'm going to be filling out :) I was hoping he'd get a good draw but that spells doom for him, I think.

VN Store

Back