19. Oklahoma State 6-2 352 20
20. Iowa 6-2 341 24
21. Southern Miss 5-1 239 25
22. Texas A & M 5-2 151 17
23. Arizona State 6-2 144 21
24. Northern Illinois 7-2 110 NR
25. Boston College 5-2 102 NR

OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES
Texas Tech 73, Purdue 54, Navy 37, Bowling Green 33, UTEP 28, Ohio State 23, Oregon 21, Alabama 21, Pittsburgh 19, UCLA 16, UAB 15, Notre Dame 11, North Carolina 8, Minnesota 7, N.C. State 6, Florida 5, Maryland 5, Clemson 4, Marshall 4, Fresno State 1, Georgia Tech 1, Nebraska 1.

Originally posted by CSchoate@Oct 31, 2004 2:21 PM
What? I am so disappointed!

I hate the damn polls!!!how are the canes still in the top ten??? :bad: :finger: :furious3: ........

How the hell does Utah stay that high? They have not faced a single difficult team.

Sep 2 vs Texas A&M W, 41-21
Sep 11 at Arizona W, 23-6
Sep 18 at Utah State W, 48-6
Sep 25 vs Air Force W, 49-35
Oct 1 at New Mexico W, 28-7
Oct 16 vs North Carolina W, 46-16
Oct 23 vs UNLV W, 63-28
Oct 30 at San Diego State W, 51-28
Nov 6 vs Colorado State TBA
Nov 13 at Wyoming 2:00 PM
Nov 20 vs BYU TBA

After TEXAS A&M LOST TO BAYLOR, Utah's schedule is the biggest joke in I-A football. May as well put them in Big Sky conference.

That's just wrong, but you know what. We are just gonna have to win out and show them where they can stick their polls. 11th? Absurd.

This is horrible, the only thing that shocks me is that they didn't keep the 2 loss mighty florida state team in front of us too! What a joke. We get no respect and I am getting sick of it. We lose to Auburn and Miami loses to UNC? Please..... :bad:

The spread between UT and UGA makes no sense. Our schedules have been similar. They haven't faced AUB yet and we didn't play LSU. And then there's that matter of the game between us and them...

At this point, it's only the poll at the end that matters. We've got 4 or 5 games left. Win them all then we'll see where we fall.

Originally posted by volinbham@Oct 31, 2004 5:08 PM
The spread between UT and UGA makes no sense. Our schedules have been similar. They haven't faced AUB yet and we didn't play LSU. And then there's that matter of the game between us and them...

At this point, it's only the poll at the end that matters. We've got 4 or 5 games left. Win them all then we'll see where we fall.

I agree. We can only control what we can do. We just have to win out and the respect will come. I like it. I think the team plays better when we get no respect.

What really grips my butt is Cal being ranked so high. WTF? These guys play no one except USC and lose. They are ranked 6th? Crazy!

I refuse to let myself get worked up by the polls because we are one of only about 5 or 6 teams in the country right now that can say that we control our own BCS destiny.

The more I think about it, my perfect scenario would be for us to win the SEC and GA to run the table also. That way GA can always look back at that "1" in their loss column and remember the night that we opened a can on them in their own stadium.

The polls definitely suck.....ESPN hates UT...no matter how much they prove....its just not right! We beat Georgia but they somehow manage to rank so high above us?? Such a disappointment!!~

I've seen a lot of people say that ESPN hates us . . . I know their name is on the poll, but what exactly does that have to do with how the coaches vote?? :blink:

Originally posted by Z06Vol@Oct 31, 2004 3:10 PM
What really grips my butt is Cal being ranked so high. WTF? These guys play no one except USC and lose. They are ranked 6th? Crazy!

I think they deserve their spot. It's becoming pretty apparent that USC is looking like it might possibly be the best team in the country again, and Cal had a hard-fought battle to the end with the Trojans. Cal is a competitor, and I think a pretty solid team.

Originally posted by GAVol@Oct 31, 2004 6:58 PM
I've seen a lot of people say that ESPN hates us . . . I know their name is on the poll, but what exactly does that have to do with how the coaches vote?? :blink:

I really hate the polls :banghead: they make know damn sense :bash:

Here's my version of the Top 10 and why for kicks and giggles.

1. USC - They do play in a weaker conference but they've got all the talent that a National Championship team needs. What really gives teams like them such an advantage is the fact they play in a weak Pac 10. I mean look at the SEC and even the bottom feeding teams can give fits to other SEC teams. Same goes for the Big 12 for the most part. The schools beat each other up and by the end of the year when they go into a big bowl game sometimes they are just beat to death from the previous games. Sure it makes them tougher but sometimes it works against good SEC/Big 12 teams. USC don't have to worry about this and for that fact I'm putting them numero uno because they have it so much easier going into the latter half of this season.

2. Auburn - They've shown they are for real and have handed it to everyone that's came their way. 2 great Running Backs, a QB that does just enough not to lose (reminds me of the Tee Martin National Championship year), and a very solid defense that flies to the ball.

3. Oklahoma - They are good no doubt but they've had a couple of close games that shows they do have flaws. Oklahoma State easily could have won this weekend and I think somebody will sneak up on them before the years over with.

4. Wisconson - Undefeated so far this year and doing what they must to stay in the hunt. If they run the table it will be a shame if they don't make it to the title game but that's the breaks. The Big 10 just isn't as loaded as the SEC and I can't see them jumping Auburn if they don't lose.

5. Utah - Why? Well, they may not have played any top flight opponents but you can't fault the team for that. It's the conference they play in and what can you do? I've watched them on TV a couple of times and these guys are wicked fast. I don't think any offense in the nation can even touch the Utah offense. I would love to see them run the table and at least get a BCS bid to see if they really can hang with a team like Wisconson or Georgia (since I can see them getting in the backdoor of the BCS by running the table and not having to play in the SEC title game).

6. California - They really should have beat USC. They have a solid team and I do believe they deserve to be ranked this high right now. We'll see what happens with them over the next few games to see if they really are deserving.

7. Tennessee - Not just because I'm a huge Vols fan. They have done what they need to do all year save for the Auburn game. But we all know how good Auburn really is as well so that don't even look as bad as it could now. The Volunteers have a defense that has really came to life this year and with Jason Allen, Parys Harleson, and Jessie Mahalona (who's brother Steve plays at my college here in East TN, Tusculum) anchoring it they should remain strong through the rest of the season. I think they need to keep rotating Ainge and Schaffer through the rest of the games though just to keep teams on their toes and I think they will run the table and look to have a huge rematch in the Georgia Dome with Auburn. It's hard to beat any team twice in one season and I would think that UT would come into a title game against Auburn more prepared than they were a few weeks ago.

8. Texas - They are one of those teams that I'm not so sure about. They are no doubt very good but they looked like dogmeat against Oklahoma. I think Texas is good but just not in that upper tier like the pollsters do right now.

9. Georgia - Solid team that should not be as highly ranked as they are if only because they lost to UT at home. We will see exactly where they belong among the college football elite when they take on Auburn. If UT and Georgia both win out I would think the voters would eventually move UT ahead of them by the end of the season, no later than the last poll before the SEC Title game.

10. Michigan - I struggle with putting them in the top 10 personally. There is no doubt they should have lost against Michigan State last night. State just totally melted down and Michigan capitalized on the MSU mistakes and lack of defense late in the 4th. They have been beat by Notre Dame this year sooooooo if UT beats ND I would think that should propel UT over Michigan but we know that probably won't happen. I still think the Wolverines will get theirs before the year is over with because they just aren't one of the best teams in the nation.

The rest of my list for the top 15 teams would go something like this:

11. Boise State
12. Miami - Just cause they beat WV and I can't rank them lower than WV
13. West Virginia
14. Louisville
15. Virginia - Yes, ahead of FSU even though FSU beat them BUT FSU has lost 2 games now.

DD

Originally posted by milohimself+Oct 31, 2004 7:19 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (milohimself @ Oct 31, 2004 7:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Z06Vol@Oct 31, 2004 3:10 PM
What really grips my butt is Cal being ranked so high. WTF? These guys play no one except USC and lose. They are ranked 6th? Crazy&#33;

I think they deserve their spot. It&#39;s becoming pretty apparent that USC is looking like it might possibly be the best team in the country again, and Cal had a hard-fought battle to the end with the Trojans. Cal is a competitor, and I think a pretty solid team. [/quote]
I totally disagree. USC is not the best team in the country and I doubt they are a top five team. I truly believe that a mediocre defense can hold USC to under 20, much less if the defense is good. Their defense has the luxury of huge leads, most of the time, and gambles often. Play a well balanced and physical team like Auburn and they won&#39;t stand a chance. Also, teams in the PAC-10 don&#39;t wear themselves down throughout the year like SEC teams. Weak game after weak game leads to a fresh legs for their bowl games.

Cal&#39;s offense has over inflated numbers, just like USC. They play very weak defenses and weak teams in general. When these guys decide to schedule tougher games, then I&#39;ll give them respect. The media and Bowl nazis knows what it will mean to have a PAC-10 (or BCS buster) playing in a BCS game. It&#39;s all about ratings which leads to &#036;&#036;&#036;&#33;

I don&#39;t get it - we handle Georgia at home, lose to the number 3 ranked team, and we&#39;re not top 10 material? What a freakin&#39; crock. I&#39;m disgusted with this.
Also, is there anyone on this board that doesn&#39;t think we could handle Utah with ease at this point of the season? I&#39;ve watched them play a couple of times and they are fast, but Chavis would figure that offense out and our big tough line, RB&#39;s and amazing WR&#39;s would be far more than their D could deal with. This is one of the craziest polls I&#39;ve seen in some time.

Oh, I definitely see the similarities between Auburn and our 1998 NC team - I don&#39;t think they are quite as good, but they&#39;re pretty close

You forgot to metion Justin Harrell as part of the shining and newly revived UT defense. Other than that, good post

Originally posted by Gatorhater@Oct 31, 2004 9:30 PM
I don&#39;t get it - we handle Georgia at home, lose to the number 3 ranked team, and we&#39;re not top 10 material? What a freakin&#39; crock. I&#39;m disgusted with this.
Also, is there anyone on this board that doesn&#39;t think we could handle Utah with ease at this point of the season? I&#39;ve watched them play a couple of times and they are fast, but Chavis would figure that offense out and our big tough line, RB&#39;s and amazing WR&#39;s would be far more than their D could deal with. This is one of the craziest polls I&#39;ve seen in some time.

Oh, I definitely see the similarities between Auburn and our 1998 NC team - I don&#39;t think they are quite as good, but they&#39;re pretty close

We can play with anyone in the "top ten". Auburn will shorty see&#33; :D

Id love to play Utah or Cal&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; show these ESPN assholes that we are overlooked

VN Store

Back