UT Band

milohimself

RIP CITY
I remember hearing a ways back that UT didn't have enough money to send the band to Gainesville and Baton Rouge. Is there any update to this situation? The team will need every bit of support that they can get on the road... They probably won't even be able to hear the pep band over the crowds in Death Valley and The Swamp.

Well, here is Mike's answer. Personally, I think it is a battle b/w Hamilton and Souza. I know a couple of posters here were in the band (potsguy?) and maybe they can help us out on this.

That really sucks if they don't get to go to the two biggest games of the year. And a bunch of crap to hear that the school can't afford to send them to the games. There is nothing like hearing rocky top being played in another teams stadium after a great win. this would suck.

As a music minor you can trust me that the exclusion of the smaller wind instruments will have little affect on what the team, or anyone for that matter, hears in the stadium.

The 100 pieces that are going are where most of the sound is derived to begin with. While the softer winds make for beautiful harmony they do not make for a lot of volume.

Besides, the team won't get to see the half-time show anyway.

I'd like to see them go in force too, but sometimes limits do have to be set.

Just as long as the band remains full volume. Having a large band section is always quite nice as well.

Originally posted by OldVol@Jul 18, 2005 5:35 PM
While the softer winds make for beautiful harmony they do not make for a lot of volume.
[snapback]115652[/snapback]​

However, they are useful at band camp.

Sorry guys....I don't agree with Mike Hamilton. The Pride of the Southland should not have to stay in cheap place when they leave Knoxville. Now when I travel, I do stay cheap, but if you saw my teacher's salary, you'd understand...and I'm ok with that. Being a middle school band director, there is no greater feeling than starting 5th graders who know nothing about playing a musical instrument and then hearing them at their end of the year concert. It is truely incredible. But of course, I was trained to be a band director at UT.

I was told that the FULL BAND was not being sent to UF and LSU due to the athletic department's handling of the men's basketball program. Too many former coaches salaries having to be paid. It's a shame the band is taking the brunt of the fallout.

A 100 piece pep-band might have a "loud" sound, but there is no way it will come close to the sound of the full band. I think I'm most upset for the band students themselves. I know what it's like practicing in 90 degree-plus heat, and they need that trip for all their hard work.....AND, the Florida and LSU fans need to see and hear our band at half-time. How else will they know that they are THE PRIDE OF THE SOUTHLAND?

I will call the band office tomorrow and see what they say. But you could send a 100 piece band and sound full as long as you leave the woodwinds out. Not trying to be mean, but they are hard to hear.

Why don't we out source the Notre Dame game? I say we bring in Minnesota. They evidently already know Rocky Top. :laugh1:

Originally posted by VolFantotheBone@Jul 19, 2005 1:05 AM
Why don't we out source the Notre Dame game?  I say we bring in Minnesota.  They evidently already know Rocky Top.    :laugh1:
[snapback]115759[/snapback]​

:dlol: :dlol: :dlol: :dlol:
Thanks. That really made my morning!

Originally posted by kiddiedoc@Jul 18, 2005 7:09 PM
However, they are useful at band camp.
[snapback]115672[/snapback]​

And most of the times, they get you a ride on the bus just like the big guys who carry the Tubas. :p

Originally posted by VolFantotheBone@Jul 19, 2005 2:05 AM
Why don't we out source the Notre Dame game?  I say we bring in Minnesota.  They evidently already know Rocky Top.    :laugh1:

That's just plain funny. I laughed my butt off at that one...good stuff. :eek:lol: :eek:lol: :eek:lol: :dlol: :eek:lol: :eek:lol: :eek:lol:

Holy cow!!! Get the band there!!! The AD whizzes off more money than it would take to send them. I want to see them on the field!!

At first wind of this, I was wizz'd!
Now atleast we will have some noise for those games, But i do hate it for the kid's not getting to go. Hope this does change, and never happens again.

Originally posted by VolFantotheBone@Jul 19, 2005 1:05 AM

Or Villanova? They played Rocky Top near the end of the Sweet Sixteen game against Florida. I think it was a Sweet Sixteen game, but it was during the tournament. Granted they were playing in Nashville, but it still made all the Florida fans boo, and it was music to my ears!

The full band is not going....so there will be NO performance on the field. WHAT A CRYING SHAME!!!! You have the best college band in the United States....and you keep them home from the biggest game (FL) of the year! :angry: :angry: :angry:

I'd really like to know the monetary issues involved here and I'd like to know how they compare to other elite teams.

Does anyone know where to find that info?

Originally posted by Arclight@Jul 20, 2005 4:47 PM
I'm emailing the school. This is BS.
Here's a page/site where you can email AD Hamilton.

http://216.111.31.2/volreport/AD/askmike.asp
The chancellor:

http://chancellor.tennessee.edu/vita.shtml
[snapback]116284[/snapback]​

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Here's a reply from the chancellor:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

----- Original Message -----
To:
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 20:50 PM
Subject: Re: THE UT BAND -- Florida Football Game

Steve,

We're working on this with the Athletic department. At least a portion of the Band will be in Florida.

Loren
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Maybe they'll send lots of brass--no offense to the wood-winds. ;)

Maybe they'll send lots of brass--no offense to the wood-winds. ;)

Sorry...but I do take offense. Without the FULL band (including the woodwinds, flags, majorettes)...there will be NO half-time show on the field. With this attitude, the Administration will soon be happy just playing Rocky Top over the PA system...why even have a band in the stands.

THE FULL BAND NEEDS TO BE AT THE FLORIDA GAME!!! PERIOD! Take a pep band to the LSU game if funds are that tight....which I seriously doubt!

And the FULL BAND shouldn't have to stay in a Motel 6 just to travel to the game....and drive all night home after the Florida game (which Hamilton has suggested to Sousa.) That's a bunch of crap. If funds are that tight, bus the boys down instead of flying them.

Well, maybe they should compromise. Take the whole band and come home after the game.

:dunno:

This is just stupid. No way funds are that tight. This school has more money than what they are ever going to need. the band needs to be at the game and it is BS that this is even a problem.

VN Store

Back