UT basketball history

Savannahbayvol

really good discussion on who is our greatest coach last week. Mears, Pearl and Barnes all have many accomplishments to their credit.

Mears came in after the 62 team went 4-19. He went 13-11 in his first year and beat UK both games. To put that in perspective we were 2-37 in our previous 39 games against the Kats. He also was 15-15 career against UK. Of course the knock on Mears is his 0-3 NCAA record. In 67 he lost to Dayton who went on to be the sacrificial lamb against UCLA in the finals. In 76 he lost to VMI without King and 77 lost to Syracuse who went on to lose by 22 to UNCC in the net round. Certainly his coaching was affected by his depression in 77 and probably 76. He retired after the 77 season.

Jerry Green inherited unbelievable talent from O'Neill but apparently never clicked with the players, fans and Dickey. Not a good idea to engage in a power struggle with Dickey, ask Johnny Majors.

Have to wonder what might have been when he blew a big lead against UNC in the 2000 sweet 16.

Pearl inherited a team with some talent and immediately coached them up. Revived the excitement at T-B and still is the only coach to get us to the Elite 8. Still have to wonder what might have happened if Tyler Smith hadn't been kicked off the team for the gun incident. The rest is history.

Cuonzo with all his detractors still came within a terrible call of making the Elite 8. Great guy, horrible fit after Pearl.

Barnes we all know about , took mediocre talent and in his third year had elevated us to the Top 10-12 of college BB. If he takes us to the Final 4 or beyond he is the GOAT of UT coaches. Until he does I would nominate Mears for taking over a program that went 4-19 and improved by 9 games including 2 against UK. But we have been fortunate to have all 3.

The story of UT hoops:

Of all the words of poets and men, the saddest is, "what might have been.:

really good discussion on who is our greatest coach last week. Mears, Pearl and Barnes all have many accomplishments to their credit.

Mears came in after the 62 team went 4-19. He went 13-11 in his first year and beat UK both games. To put that in perspective we were 2-37 in our previous 39 games against the Kats. He also was 15-15 career against UK. Of course the knock on Mears is his 0-3 NCAA record. In 67 he lost to Dayton who went on to be the sacrificial lamb against UCLA in the finals. In 76 he lost to VMI without King and 77 lost to Syracuse who went on to lose by 22 to UNCC in the net round. Certainly his coaching was affected by his depression in 77 and probably 76. He retired after the 77 season.

Jerry Green inherited unbelievable talent from O'Neill but apparently never clicked with the players, fans and Dickey. Not a good idea to engage in a power struggle with Dickey, ask Johnny Majors.

Have to wonder what might have been when he blew a big lead against UNC in the 2000 sweet 16.

Pearl inherited a team with some talent and immediately coached them up. Revived the excitement at T-B and still is the only coach to get us to the Elite 8. Still have to wonder what might have happened if Tyler Smith hadn't been kicked off the team for the gun incident. The rest is history.

Cuonzo with all his detractors still came within a terrible call of making the Elite 8. Great guy, horrible fit after Pearl.

Barnes we all know about , took mediocre talent and in his third year had elevated us to the Top 10-12 of college BB. If he takes us to the Final 4 or beyond he is the GOAT of UT coaches. Until he does I would nominate Mears for taking over a program that went 4-19 and improved by 9 games including 2 against UK. But we have been fortunate to have all 3.

The story of UT hoops:

OOps, botched the quote:

For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'.

John Greenleaf Whittier

The story of UT hoops:

Still to this day, that '77 team may be my favorite. Johnny Darden at point, Ernie G and Mike Jackson on the perimeter, Bernard King and freshman Reggie Johnson at high and low post. Terry Crosby, Chuck Threeths, and Bert B off the bench. SEC Champs and beat a damn good Kentucky team twice.

Still to this day, that '77 team may be my favorite. Johnny Darden at point, Ernie G and Mike Jackson on the perimeter, Bernard King and freshman Reggie Johnson at high and low post. Terry Crosby, Chuck Threeths, and Bert B off the bench. SEC Champs and beat a damn good Kentucky team twice.
And a damn good Alabama team twice

The story of UT hoops:

Someone mentioned the Mt Rushmore of UT basketball the other day. Mears face is already there

I liked Cuonzo a lot when he was here, and I swore off UT men’s basketball for a time when we forced him out in favor of *cringe* Tyndall. I honestly thought we’d slide back into obscurity then, but thankfully we got Barnes. Restored my faith in the program.

The 1940s are a forgotten era. The basketball coach was an assistant football coach. But Johnny Mauer was highly successful. Along with Mears he’s the only UT coach with multiple SEC regular season championships and the ONLY UT coach with multiple SEC Tournament championships. He was also the KY coach a couple of years.

Last edited:
I liked Cuonzo a lot when he was here, and I swore off UT men’s basketball for a time when we forced him out in favor of *cringe* Tyndall. I honestly thought we’d slide back into obscurity then, but thankfully we got Barnes. Restored my faith in the program.
If I'm not mistaken Cuonzo quit to take the California job because some fans said mean things about him not because he was forced out.Thicker skin maybe?

If I'm not mistaken Cuonzo quit to take the California job because some fans said mean things about him not because he was forced out.Thicker skin maybe?

It was mostly the push by Outkick and Clay Travis that got to him. Cal also paid him more so that may have played a factor.

Tennessee did not force him out in favor of Tyndall. Pearl was coming off his show cause, and in the middle of an under-achieving regular season, a petition was started to bring Pearl back. The team, which had to win a play-in to even make the tournament, wound up getting to the sweet sixteen. Pearl, figuring that UT would not fire a coach that just went to the sweet sixteen, took the Auburn job. A couple weeks later, Cuonzo took the Cal job after interviewing while on a recruiting trip. That left us with Tyndall. But maybe I remember it wrong.

Tennessee did not force him out in favor of Tyndall. Pearl was coming off his show cause, and in the middle of an under-achieving regular season, a petition was started to bring Pearl back. The team, which had to win a play-in to even make the tournament, wound up getting to the sweet sixteen. Pearl, figuring that UT would not fire a coach that just went to the sweet sixteen, took the Auburn job. A couple weeks later, Cuonzo took the Cal job after interviewing while on a recruiting trip. That left us with Tyndall. But maybe I remember it wrong.
Yes, and to add to that, Martin created an aura with his team that it’s “us against the world” which suggested racial undertones. The national media ran with this and tried to tarnish UT’s image in the process. It was boring basketball on the court, and by the time Martin accepted Cal’s offer, things had become pretty murky.

Exactly, from a guy that constantly preached toughness. Average coach with no personality. We dodged a bullet when he turned down the raise and extention to run away.

I haven’t updated since I put this together about 6 years ago:

(Updated 3/16/2018)

21 Tennessee coaches

Age @ hiring / name / w/l % at TN

29 Zora Clevenger (.781)(1911-1916)
37 John Mauer (.759)(1938-1947)
37 Ray Mears (.713)(1962-1977)
33 Blair Gullian (.712)(1935-1938)
54 Jerry Green (.712)(1997-2001)
45 Bruce Pearl (.704)(2005-2011)
00 John Bender (.659)(1916-1921)
00 Mark Banks (.612)(1921-1926)
35 Emmett Lowery (.606)(1947-1958)
40 Cuonzo Martin (.606)(2011-2014)
37 Don Devoe (.598)(1978-1989)
61 Rick Barnes (.564)(2015-present)
00 WH Britton (.523)(1926-1935)
38 Buzz Peterson (.508)(2001-2005)
44 Donnie Tyndall (.500)(2014-2015)
00 Alex Stone (.437)(1910-1911)
37 Kevin O'Neill (.434)(1994-1997)
45 Wade Houston (.419)(1989-1994)
49 Cliff Wettig (.407)(1977-1978)
42 John Sines (.366)(1958-1962)
00 RH Fitzgerald (.250)(1917-1919)

Reactions: feathersax
Cuonzo is UT’s second winningest black head basketball coach.
This made me laugh…do you know Devoe’s winning percentage through first 7 years before wheels fell off. I always wonder how well Mears would have done consistently in tournament if Tennessee teams were actually allowed in under todays criteria.

When we beat UK at Rupp that night in 77 I have never the door slamming and yelling at our apartment complex. As soon as the game was over it was like Boom. Both teams were loaded with talent, and I could be wrong, but wasn't that the game Ernie was accused of shooting FTs for someone else.

Reactions: StarRaider
When we beat UK at Rupp that night in 77 I have never the door slamming and yelling at our apartment complex. As soon as the game was over it was like Boom. Both teams were loaded with talent, and I could be wrong, but wasn't that the game Ernie was accused of shooting FTs for someone else.
That was the 1976 game at UK. Grunfeld had 43. King made a shot while on his back on the floor

It was either the '75-'76 or '76-'77 season that Ernie G shot free throws that were someone else's. I remember John Ward commenting on it during the live broadcast.

This made me laugh…do you know Devoe’s winning percentage through first 7 years before wheels fell off. I always wonder how well Mears would have done consistently in tournament if Tennessee teams were actually allowed in under todays criteria.

Devoe was 204-137 (.598). 61-55 the last 4 years. So 143-82 (.636).

It appears to be forgotten that they also beat the Cedric Maxwell led NCAAT finalist UNCC in a really fun competitive game. I got to attend that one live. Matter of fact Mears also beat the NCAAT runner up (Michigan) the year before as well. Mears is definitely the best regular season coach we’ve ever had. Can’t give it to Pearl. He stunk it up too many times against Kentucky and allowed Meeks to get 54 at TBA. That’s an automatic disqualifier.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back