UT finally playing team basketball...

armchair

We are passing the ball better than we have in years. Eighteen assists tonight. (18 turnovers, too, but we won't talk about that.) The Vols are finding open players, and the open players are hitting. We are playing team basketball on offense, something UT has struggled to do--mostly because Warlick and Summitt before her were fixated in getting the ball into the post, or getting the ball to our best player--and the post player (or best player) too often felt she had to shoot the ball. We forced the ball into Izzy too much, and Izzy, good as she was, would force up shots or lose the ball--she had a lot of games with a lot of turnovers. Now, we are letting the game come to us on offense. Everyone is involved--and we're are playing good offensive basketball. Let's keep it up.

Reactions: 4 people
Nothing like some weak SEC competition to make you feel better about yourself. armchair, I use to respect to, but like the LV's, you are soft these days.

Reactions: 2 people
Nothing like some weak SEC competition to make you feel better about yourself. armchair, I use to respect to, but like the LV's, you are soft these days.

Get a grip,you don't have a clue. UGA is tough and anytime you pound them like the LadyVols have you're really accomplishing something.

We're going to need a little better three point shooting to beat the big girls but all around great team effort.

We are passing the ball better than we have in years. Eighteen assists tonight. (18 turnovers, too, but we won't talk about that.) The Vols are finding open players, and the open players are hitting. We are playing team basketball on offense, something UT has struggled to do--mostly because Warlick and Summitt before her were fixated in getting the ball into the post, or getting the ball to our best player--and the post player (or best player) too often felt she had to shoot the ball. We forced the ball into Izzy too much, and Izzy, good as she was, would force up shots or lose the ball--she had a lot of games with a lot of turnovers. Now, we are letting the game come to us on offense. Everyone is involved--and we're are playing good offensive basketball. Let's keep it up.

Yes we're much harder to defend now. Also, Izzy and Graves didn't play well together for whatever reason. They should have both played the 5 and split their minutes.

Get a grip,you don't have a clue. UGA is tough and anytime you pound them like the LadyVols have you're really accomplishing something.

Oh really...name ONE respectable team the Bulldogs have defeated all season. You my friend, like many others on this board, have been drinking too much Orange Koolaid.

You really need to set your standards higher. Right now, the pecking order is UConn #1 by a long shot, #2 Notre Dame by double digits over the next best team, and everyone else.

Get a frickin' clue!!

Reactions: 1 person
Oh really...name ONE respectable team the Bulldogs have defeated all season. You my friend, like many others on this board, have been drinking too much Orange Koolaid.

You really need to set your standards higher. Right now, the pecking order is UConn #1 by a long shot, #2 Notre Dame by double digits over the next best team, and everyone else.

Get a frickin' clue!!

Did you watch Ga beat Misouri last night? You said one team so there you go BUD.

Reactions: 7 people

Good discerning post. Turnovers were caused by LV's hurrying too much in early part of game and because Holly was doing a lot of substituting during the game to keep her starters and principal subs as fresh as possible for three probable games in three days. Several of the substitutes are not very experienced and do things which lead to turnovers. They will get better with more game time. Loved the early defensive intensity.

Get a frickin' clue!!

the Orange Koolaid taste great,drink some :)

your right armchair,the Lady Vols played a great game.it is good to see them play as a team

Reactions: 5 people
I think it is a correct observation to say we are running a better offense now. Players are more likely to take the open shots they have instead of forcing the ball inside or running the shot clock down only to take a harder shot. I only saw one of the starters pass up a shot they should have taken.

There were still way too many turnovers though and a good portion of them were unforced. Holly might want to try lighting them up for some of those.

It was also good that Ariel missed all of her three pt attempts in a game that was a blowout anyway. Hopefully those are all out of her system now.

I think though that the margin of victory was mainly due to GA not having much fight left in them. They looked tired from the tip. And credit to us, instead of playing down to their level we put them away early so there were several good things to take away from this game.

You just have to wonder why all of these players couldn't have stepped up their game while we still had Izzy? Imagine what that team would have looked like. Maybe Holly will see the formula now and not revert to relying on a particular post player so much.

"You just have to wonder why all of these players couldn't have stepped up their game while we still had Izzy? Imagine what that team would have looked like. Maybe Holly will see the formula now and not revert to relying on a particular post player so much.[/QUOTE]"

The guards and Cierra seem to be driving to the basket more which draws defenders and opens up the post players and the outside shooters more. Quite a nice urnaround on offense from early in the season.

Reactions: 3 people
We definitely have quit trying to force the post as much as we used to. If we can't get it in there we are taking the ball to the basket or short range jump shot. Still to many unforced turnovers but as long as were shooting around 50 percent that will make up the deficit.

There were definitely positives to this game. I think the LVs defensive effort was top notch and they crashed the boards with a vengeance (which was a good thing because there were a lot of offensive rebounds to be had).

On the other side, GA actually did get a fair number of open threes but fortunately, they were also having a very bad night from outside, plus GA has no real post presence. So, I am not saying that GA was a cupcake team but it was a match-up that was favorable to the LVs smaller line-up. Against KY, the LVs will have to execute better on offense, in terms of ball security because KY can bring 10 times the pressure of GA. And it will take more effort to match-up on the boards. Although the LVs crushed KY in their last meeting, I suspect that the Cats will put a put a much better fight in the tournament.

Like other posters, I hope that Ariel finds her range from outside. It will be tough for the Lvs to beat comparable talent teams without doing some long range damage.

Last edited:

Get a frickin' clue!!

47-stupid-you-are-yoda-meme.jpg

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back