UT-Memphis Basketball

MtownTigers916

The UT-Memphis basketball series might be on hold again this year. According to the Commercial Appeal, Memphis Coach John Calipari has offered 20 dates to UT for this year's scheduled OOC basketball matchup, but UT has not responded and the game might not even come to fruition. The originally discussed date of Dec. 7th was abandoned by UT when they instead decided to schedule a game at Texas on ESPN.
What I see happening is this turning into another incident from last year. TN basketball will not schedule an away game against Memphis this year, and refuse to come and play in football next year.
Too bad football and basketball can't be played in Nashville at Adelphia and Gaylord, UT would never pass up a chance to play at Neyland though.
Surprisingly, UT leads the basketball series, but if this year's game actually happens, I don't think your basketball team will slip by this year.

I really wish we could play Memphis in bball because of the recruiting exposure. Pearl will be in Memphis soon enough but it would help. The national exposure that will come from playing TX will be great for us too.

And why should UT give up a game in Neyland to play in Nashville? There is a reason we have can have 108,000 seats, because we can fill them all. I understand playing Memphis, and Williams will get some great exposure, but it's more of a benefit for UM than UT.

EDIT: BTW, the Commercial Appeal has no love for UT anyway. They report on Ole Miss more than UT.

Originally posted by utvolpj@Aug 11, 2005 12:10 PM
EDIT: BTW, the Commercial Appeal has no love for UT anyway.  They report on Ole Miss more than UT.
[snapback]125538[/snapback]​

Amen brother.

'Course, we have about as much love for Memphis as they do us.

Originally posted by MtownTigers916@Aug 11, 2005 1:02 PM
The UT-Memphis basketball series might be on hold again this year.  According to the Commercial Appeal, Memphis Coach John Calipari has offered 20 dates to UT for this year's scheduled OOC basketball matchup, but UT has not responded and the game might not even come to fruition.  The originally discussed date of Dec. 7th was abandoned by UT when they instead decided to schedule a game at Texas on ESPN.
What I see happening is this turning into another incident from last year.  TN basketball will not schedule an away game against Memphis this year, and refuse to come and play in football next year.
Too bad football and basketball can't be played in Nashville at Adelphia and Gaylord, UT would never pass up a chance to play at Neyland though. 
Surprisingly, UT leads the basketball series, but if this year's game actually happens, I don't think your basketball team will slip by this year.
[snapback]125537[/snapback]​

Yeah thats right follow your hero Calipari, this all started because of him not want UT in Memphis. The Commercial Appeal is like a Bama NCAA Appeal full of lies and half-truths. This is the same rag that siad UT was out of the Kemp recruitment and the reporter got upset when I confronted him and proved him wrong. The Calipari crap that started the cancellation of the football games has started again. How many of those supposed dates concided with a game already scheduled? How many were within 24 hours of a scheduled game. The Yankee carpetbagger Calipari DOESN'T want to play UT and especially doesn't want to play UT in Memphis. Why doesn't Memphis come to Knoxville this year? If Tiger High continues to let Calipari try everything he can to avoid UT, then Yes they will cancel, the football game means more to Tiger High than it does to UT. Tiger High needs the game more than UT. If Tiger High and Calipari want to act decent and upstanding the games will happen if not then Memphis fans and Tiger high have no one to blame but themselves. If Calipari grows up and the game happens you might get a surprise whether its played in Knoxville or Memphis. One more thing the game(basketball or football) will not be played in Nashville, Everyone from Memphis should have learned that lesson already.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/tigers...3993895,00.html

Tigers, Vols need a date

Teams trying to find suitable day for game

By Gary Parrish
Contact
August 11, 2005

Fans of the University of Memphis and Tennessee rarely agree on anything. Now, the two schools' administrations are in a similar scenario, unable to settle on a date to renew their basketball rivalry this upcoming season.

"We're still trying to get that date worked out," said University of Memphis athletic director R.C. Johnson. "But it's not like we're out there just floundering around. We have a signed contract to play, and we have every intention of playing. We just have to find a date suitable for both of us."

Which, at this point, is the problem. Memphis and Tennessee originally discussed Dec. 17 as a date for the two schools to play for the first time since 2001. But then UT signed an agreement with ESPN to play at Texas, rendering that Saturday unusable.

Subsequently, multiple dates have been examined, but none were suitable to both programs. And with the Grizzlies schedule now official and non-negotiable, the possibilities have dwindled.

"We're coming down to crunch time," Tennessee athletic director Mike Hamilton told the Knoxville News Sentinel on Wednesday. "We're at a point where we need to make one of those dates we've proposed work, or delay the series."

Asked if it was realistic the series could be delayed, Johnson seemed confident it wouldn't come to that. He insisted Memphis wants to play the game.

"We have a signed contract, and we have every intention of playing the game," Johnson said. "We just have to settle on a date. But I think we will."

MtownTigers916 - Glad you kept your prejudices out of it. You follow the Calipari line of let's play in Nashville.

Originally posted by Vol67@Aug 11, 2005 1:30 PM
Why doesn't Memphis come to Knoxville this year?
[snapback]125555[/snapback]​

Personally, I don't like Calipari at all, it was his fault that we didn't play in football or basketball last year. He doesn't have the final say on whether we play SEC teams in basketball or not though, and we've signed our contract and will follow through on it.
But this year the contracts were signed and both sides agreed on the December date, until the Texas deal happened. We offered 20 open dates that both schools could work with, and that's all we can do since the Grizzlies' schedule is non-negotiable. If somehow this gets turned around on Memphis, it will be your fault this year.
We won't play in Knoxville in basketball this year because that's not what the contract agreed on.
I can already see this brewing now where this could be an excuse not to come to play Memphis in the Liberty Bowl next year.

Originally posted by MtownTigers916@Aug 11, 2005 2:59 PM
Personally, I don't like Calipari at all, it was his fault that we didn't play in football or basketball last year.  He doesn't have the final say on whether we play SEC teams in basketball or not though, and we've signed our contract and will follow through on it.
But this year the contracts were signed and both sides agreed on the December date, until the Texas deal happened.  We offered 20 open dates that both schools could work with, and that's all we can do since the Grizzlies' schedule is non-negotiable.  If somehow this gets turned around on Memphis, it will be your fault this year.
We won't play in Knoxville in basketball this year because that's not what the contract agreed on.
I can already see this brewing now where this could be an excuse not to come to play Memphis in the Liberty Bowl next year.
[snapback]125573[/snapback]​

Memphis and Tennessee originally discussed Dec. 17 as a date.

UT will not "use as an excuse" not to play Memphis unless Memphis gets hardheaded like they did the last time.

VN Store

Back