UWM Prof. to teach 9/11 Conspiracy Theory

volinbham

VN GURU
Bush did it

Brings up an interesting discussion (perhaps) about academic freedom. This guy firmly believes the US was behind 9/11 and many of the other terrorist attacks (e.g. Madrid, bombings in Iraq, etc.).

If the theories are topically relevant to his class AND he is open-minded when his students call him a moron, I guess this falls under academic freedom.

Personally, I'm extremely careful to leave my political views at the door when I enter the classroom.

(milohimself @ Jul 10 said:
Pretty touchy as an exercise of academic freedom.

I agree. On one hand, what is considered "truth" must be questioned for knowledge to advance but on the other, students should not be indoctrinated with extreme views.

I heard about him on the radio today. Zero proof but still allowed to teach it.

(volinbham @ Jul 10 said:
I agree. On one hand, what is considered "truth" must be questioned for knowledge to advance but on the other, students should not be indoctrinated with extreme views.
They don't have to take the class if they don't want to. He's free to teach it, and they're free not to learn it.

And I doubt the ACLU defends this guys 1st amendment rights. Seems the same as flag burning. LINK

Where to draw the line on what can be taught is tricky however here are some guidelines:

1) Should be directly relevant to the course material. I teach business - discussing my views on Iraq is clearly not relevant and thus isn't an academic freedom issue.

2) Minority views (even if fervently held by the professor) should be noted as such and the burden of proof is on the minority view vs. accepted knowledge.

3) Perhaps most importantly, students should feel any threat of grade for holding opinions that are not consistent with the professor (particularly in opinion-based or subjective topics). For example, a student in his class should be able to argue why the professor's view is wrong and be evaluated on the quality of the argument as opposed to their agreement with the professor's view.

The third is often the toughest and the intimidation factor can be subtle.

Finally, courses are the domain of the faculty as a whole and not the individual professor.

(milohimself @ Jul 10 said:
He's free to teach it, and they're free not to learn it.

This is the tricky part. He may not be free to teach it (depending on relevance) and students may be punished (gradewise) if they take his course but do not "learn it" as in disagree.

What if he were to do it as an ungraded series of lectures? Like not a class. Just presenting his case.

A lecture series would be entirely appropriate.

As I said, what to "teach" in a graded class is a tricky question. I've definitely seen abuses. Above all, professors must try to remain as objective as possible in evaluating students. For example, I often don't allow students to put their names on essay tests (use SSN) so I won't be judging their answers based on what I know about them individually or any perceptions of their abilities that I might have. Invariably, I'm surprised that some great answers come from people I wouldn't expect and likewise some dog answers come from those I would expect more from.

I dont really care as long as the class isnt required. I have a problem with it because college students are trying to find themselves and this would just brainwash them.

(volinbham @ Jul 10 said:
Bush did it

Brings up an interesting discussion (perhaps) about academic freedom. This guy firmly believes the US was behind 9/11 and many of the other terrorist attacks (e.g. Madrid, bombings in Iraq, etc.).

If the theories are topically relevant to his class AND he is open-minded when his students call him a moron, I guess this falls under academic freedom.

Personally, I'm extremely careful to leave my political views at the door when I enter the classroom.

Crap like this reminds me of the turd that won't flush. It doesn't matter how many times it comes to the surface. It's still just [/b]crap.

(orange+white=heaven @ Jul 11 said:
How does this not wind up at Cal instead of UWM.... :D

Good point - but on the other hand, UWM is often referred to as the "Berkley of the Midwest" :devilsmoke:

How do you explain the steel melting, the color was yellow! Proof I say, proof! :banghead:

trutha.jpg

(orange+white=heaven @ Jul 11 said:
Or as your professed city of origin, Bham..."Delusionville"!

:D Yes - that typical refers to the resident Bammers that surround me but on occassion can be used to apply to other locales.

Well, still with all this guy is saying... If he has an examination based on actual facts then it might be okay. I'd imagine it would be more than those videos some dude puts up on YouTube.

Of course it will be more than the video.

It will include the fact that fighers were scrambled not from the closest AFB to the Pentagon (Andrews AFB) but from Langley AFB in Virginia. However, the professor will make no mention of the fact that Andrews AFB has no active duty interceptor or fighter planes and pilots (yes, they have reserve and National Guard troops, who were on their way to their civilian jobs at 9:00 AM on a Tuesday morning.)

I am sure that the class will also include the economic activity on Wall Street during the last stretch of August and the first ten days of September, with absolutely no investigation into such mergers and conditions that were causing the activity.

Finally, the professor will most definitely dive into the fact that during September, DoD and CIA officials were working and briefing new battle plans for a potential strike against Afghanistan. The professor will not enlighten the students that the Pentagon officials, working in concert with CIA officials, prepare battle plans and war game for potential operations concerning every conceivable contingency. The U.S. Military has war plans for the invasion of Great Britain, that have most likely been updated and briefed to the JCS since W. Bush took office. A new president gets plenty of briefs in his first year concerning such contingencies. Most of these briefs occur in the 3rd and 4th quarters, since the new cabinet members aren't even confirmed by congress until the end of the 1st quarter, beginning of the 2nd.

VN Store

Back